Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Ford Coupe Rat Rod

EngineerBob

Hi All. Thanks for the kind words about the other models that I've posted. I've built 7 models in the past year (in this, my second, phase of model building :) ) and I'll go ahead and post them since you've all been so welcoming.

This model started out as a Monogram stock '30 Ford Coupe that I began as a chopped hot rod many, many years ago. Since I've gained an appreciation for rat rods and patina cars I went in a different direction to finish this ride (plus I don't think I could really live with a rat rod in 1:1 scale). I chopped the roof a little more. The 6-cyl came out of the Moebius '53 Hudson Hornet kit. The z-d frame was scratch-built from styrene. Thanks for looking. All of my models built during the past year have names appropriate for the times; this one is "Infectious".

422534569_30FordCoupeRatRodmodel(21).thumb.JPG.1861da4f95091c2d2ad601246b871b2d.JPG

DSC04657.JPG

30 Ford Coupe Rat Rod model (19).JPG

30 Ford Coupe Rat Rod model (14).JPG

Your 30 Ford Rat Rod looks pretty kewl.  The wife and I go to a lot of car shows with our 49 Chevy pickup and see a lot of Rat Rods and although I do like looking at them I don't think I would want one (1:1).  At our age we have to have all the modern luxuries.

Paul, thanks for the comments about the roof. The original model had a closed roof which I cut open and beside looking more rat-like with the exposed wood bows now people could easily see the interior details, something that is difficult to see in most chopped models.

3 hours ago, EngineerBob said:

More rat-like with the exposed wood bows now people could easily see the interior details, something that is difficult to see in most chopped models

Agreed! I did a chopped 34 that I painstakingly created an interior.. made the door panels, narrowed and shortened the seat and fit a 57 Chevy dash into it… nope! You cannot see it at all! 😀

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

What a cool build, love all the detail. Great looking ratty paintwork, very nice.

Thanks. It was fun to do a paint job that you couldn't really mess up, just keep adding layers to cover any mistakes instead of starting over on some of my previous shiny paint jobs.