Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don't know why I can no longer post pics

kpnuts

The question is.. how were you posting pix before and when was the last time you did?

I just looked at your last post with photos..  appear to be externally hosted on some ibex.com?   The software changed did something to the code for external images.  I could still bring up your photos by tapping in the white space.

The current preferring way is to send the pix to the board directly from your device and let this site host them.

Just look under the text input box for “add files” and go from there…

Edited by Tom Geiger

David, this might again be related to the latest forum upgrade (that changed something with how the forum handles the  embedded codes for externally hosted photos (that many and many users already complained about).  Any way you could find out why the handling of photo codes changed in that update, and if the original method could be re-enabled?

I just looked through some of kpnuts posts and I think I see what he means. Yes, he uses external photo host.  He seems to also have used the [img] tags around the URL, and the forum does not render those properly anymore.

Here is one of those posts where photos are now displayed as links. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/161008-tamiya-112-porsche-910/?tab=comments#comment-2408274

If I copy the image url (without the tags of course) the photo is displayed properly.  There really has to been some change to the way the forum software operates.  I also find it hard to believe that the previous functionality (where the [img] tags were interpreted correctly) cannot be restored.  Those tags are a standard syntax on many online forums (and most photo hosting sites provide that type of coding for posting their photos in forums).

I think I know what's going on. 

There are " and " tags around your images. Those seem to mess everything up. If you just paste the straight URL (the text between the tags), the board is smart enough to identify them as images and embed them into your post. You can also tell it to embed them as links if you prefer. 

I'll see if there isn't some setting that I need to tweak and post back here if I find anything. For the time being at least, skip those tags and everything should work fine. 

Update: BBCodes were deprecated in the new version. I assume that at some point, they'll remove the support altogether. I reenabled them, but we should stop using them. 

10 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I think I know what's going on. 

There are " and " tags around your images. Those seem to mess everything up. If you just paste the straight URL (the text between the tags), the board is smart enough to identify them as images and embed them into your post. You can also tell it to embed them as links if you prefer. 

I'll see if there isn't some setting that I need to tweak and post back here if I find anything. For the time being at least, skip those tags and everything should work fine. 

Update: BBCodes were deprecated in the new version. I assume that at some point, they'll remove the support altogether. I reenabled them, but we should stop using them. 

The specific post I pointed you to doesn't seem to have any quotes around the tags. Where did you see those?  from what I can see the tags by themselves mess the way the forum renders externally hosted photos.

kpnutsPhotoLinks.png.493ca365932d625bf16c412ad925af1d.png

I didn't realize that tags are being deprecated - other forums (using different software) still use them.

So what is the plan when those tags are deprecated, while there are many years' worth of posts where those tags were used?  Will all those now have all the photos show up as links?  Is there  a way to run some script to remove those tags from older posts?

3 hours ago, peteski said:

The specific post I pointed you to doesn't seem to have any quotes around the tags. Where did you see those?  from what I can see the tags by themselves mess the way the forum renders externally hosted photos.

There aren't any quotes around the tags. In the post, they're just the tags. I felt like I needed to set them apart somehow. 

kpnutsPhotoLinks.png.493ca365932d625bf16c412ad925af1d.png

I didn't realize that tags are being deprecated - other forums (using different software) still use them.

So what is the plan when those tags are deprecated, while there are many years' worth of posts where those tags were used?  Will all those now have all the photos show up as links?  Is there  a way to run some script to remove those tags from older posts?

This caught me off guard. I didn't even know we had supported them until this morning. My first level assumption is that Invision will give us a way to convert them to their equivalent HTML tags. If not, I can get into the forum database, and convert the postings programmatically. That might take a few hours, as we are somewhere north of 2 million posts. 

I will follow up with Invision, and see what the future plan is. In the interim, I've reenabled them, so they should work the way they used to for the time being. 

I mentioned the tag issue way back in early May in http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/161900-pictures-not-showing-up/?tab=comments#comment-2408010  (you participated in that thread), and in few other posts mentioning problems posting photos. I basically pinpointed the problem. I'm glad you stepped in and took care of the problem.   In any case, I still prefer to upload my photos directly to this forum.

9 hours ago, peteski said:

I mentioned the tag issue way back in early May in http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/161900-pictures-not-showing-up/?tab=comments#comment-2408010  (you participated in that thread), and in few other posts mentioning problems posting photos. I basically pinpointed the problem. I'm glad you stepped in and took care of the problem.   In any case, I still prefer to upload my photos directly to this forum.

I do apologize. I completely missed the significance of that. We should be good for the moment, and I'll figure out some kind of migration plan when it gets to that point. 

2 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I do apologize. I completely missed the significance of that. We should be good for the moment, and I'll figure out some kind of migration plan when it gets to that point. 

No worries Dave -- thanks for all you do to keep things rolling around here. The updates also seem to hold some unforeseen surprises, plus the constant battle with those ads . . .   We all appreciate all your efforts here.

Next time some problem pops up here, and I think I know what the problem is, maybe I'll just PM you directly.

Edited by peteski