Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1941 Willys Gasser "Big John Mazmanian"*

Zippi

Ok....I'm calling the chassis done.  It's setting on all 4 wheels and the engine looks straight.  Just waiting on the body to cure out so I can wet sand it then add the door handles, head light buckets, and the foil.  

20210806_084132.jpg

20210806_084140.jpg

20210806_084204.jpg

• Like 1

You've done a nice job so far, Zippi! Like you, I fear painting the most and where possible I try to get all my painting in summer (we are in the depths of winter at the moment).  Tamiya paint is scary because too wet a coat can cause it to run and bubble but I would suggest that next time you get just a little closer and wetter on your final colour coat.  Looks like the clear coat has done a great job.

I built this kit when it first came out and it really is wonderful. Not able to get near it to take photos at the moment but I din't remember fussing too much about the shck position and the stance came out pretty nice.

Cheers

Alan

41 minutes ago, alan barton said:

You've done a nice job so far, Zippi! Like you, I fear painting the most and where possible I try to get all my painting in summer (we are in the depths of winter at the moment).  Tamiya paint is scary because too wet a coat can cause it to run and bubble but I would suggest that next time you get just a little closer and wetter on your final colour coat.  Looks like the clear coat has done a great job.

I built this kit when it first came out and it really is wonderful. Not able to get near it to take photos at the moment but I din't remember fussing too much about the shck position and the stance came out pretty nice.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the comments Alan.  I will keep in mind about the last coat of paint being wetter and closer.  

I'm checking out the paint on the Willy's this morning and it's hard to explain but the paint feels soft.  I'm not sure if it's dry or not.  I can't smell any lacquer which is a sign that it's dry but I'm going to let it set another day and see how it feels.  

2 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I'm checking out the paint on the Willy's this morning and it's hard to explain but the paint feels soft.  I'm not sure if it's dry or not.  I can't smell any lacquer which is a sign that it's dry but I'm going to let it set another day and see how it feels.  

better safe than sorry when it comes to paint. Ive had/seen my share of horror in both the real and scale world.

1 hour ago, chris chabre said:

better safe than sorry when it comes to paint. Ive had/seen my share of horror in both the real and scale world.

Yeah me too.  I don't want this one to become another statistic.  

Ok boys and girls, I got the Willy's wet sanded and polished this morning. I was a little disappointed.  I was thinking it would have come out better.  I stayed away from all the high spots because I did not want to burning through.  Looks like it still has some orange peel.  Starting from left to right are the polishes I used and grit of sand paper.  Give me your comments and don't hold back.  I need to know what I need to improve on.   

20210809_091943.jpg

20210809_085922.jpg

20210809_085951.jpg

20210809_090007.jpg

20210809_090043.jpg

20210809_090058.jpg

20210809_090149.jpg

• Like 1

I got the glass in and the foil work done on the hood.  I was looking at pics of the Big John Mazmanian Willy's and I did not see any chrome or even a seal on the glass.  I did outline the windshield in black.  

20210809_132838.jpg

20210809_132852.jpg

20210809_132918.jpg

20210809_132923.jpg

• Like 1