Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1941 Willys Gasser "Big John Mazmanian"*

Zippi

***BUILD COMING SOON***.  If you have built this kit (and I'm sure everyone but me has) are there any area's I need to be aware of?  I'm open to hear the pro's and con's on this kit and what you would have done different on your build.   

20210718_102206.jpg

Edited by Zippi

This is a great kit and takes very little detailing to make it really outstanding. When I built mine I did it mostly as an OOB. For paint I used Tamiya Gold Mt. for the base and Tamiya Candy Red along with Clear after the decals were applied. I used the red tinted windows from the kit and I also shaped some thin clear plastic in the shape of the side windows. These were cut down to have the passenger side window up and the drivers window just partially up and I sprayed the side windows with a light coat of the Candy Red to look like Red tinted Lexan.  The kit includes either a plastic or a photo etched Grill which is what I used. 

DSCN0598.JPG

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

I like that kit. I built a couple some time ago and turned out pretty good.

I looked the kit over a while back when I bought it and it looks pretty decent.  Should be a fun one.  

3 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

I cut the snap-fit tabs off the rear lower edges of the hood and filled in the mating notches in the body with styrene strips and putty. No idea why Revell thought these features were necessary to begin with… ?64297EF4-36D7-4C62-AE57-154AAEF5232C.thumb.jpeg.cca9d888cf1ef6e6d49194339dba69a6.jpeg

John....what paint did you use on the blower?  I like it.

• Zippi changed the title to *1941 Willys Gasser "Big John Mazmanian"*
6 hours ago, Zippi said:

John....what paint did you use on the blower?  I like it.

Hi Bob, I think I used Alclad magnesium over gloss black enamel.  I'm hoping to  phase out of Alclad and find something that doesn't require a black gloss base and that is less fragile.  I just ordered some Mr Color metalizer and have Zero metalizer on back order, I'll let you know if these work easier/ better/ more durable than Alclad.

I got to see this actual car on my very first trip to the drags (in '64 - I was 11).  It was the cleanest prettiest most dazzling car there that day and a crowd favorite.  I drive a bright red Mazda sedan these days, it's "Soul Red Crystal" in color, when someone asks me "what do they call that bright color?", I always answer "John Mazmanian Red!!!".

31 minutes ago, papajohn97 said:

Hi Bob, I think I used Alclad magnesium over gloss black enamel.  I'm hoping to  phase out of Alclad and find something that doesn't require a black gloss base and that is less fragile.  I just ordered some Mr Color metalizer and have Zero metalizer on back order, I'll let you know if these work easier/ better/ more durable than Alclad.

I got to see this actual car on my very first trip to the drags (in '64 - I was 11).  It was the cleanest prettiest most dazzling car there that day and a crowd favorite.  I drive a bright red Mazda sedan these days, it's "Soul Red Crystal" in color, when someone asks me "what do they call that bright color?", I always answer "John Mazmanian Red!!!".

Thanks John.  let me know about the metalizer paint.   That's about the time I saw Big John.  The Stone Woods & Cook Willlys was here as well.  They put on a good show.  These old Glasses set the stage for the Funny cars we know today.

Edited by Zippi

5 hours ago, slusher said:

The last one the old Revell put out I believe it’s Pittman, it’s red on the box..

Nice.  Wonder how many versions of the 41 Willys were produced by AMT, Revell, etc?  Got a pic your Willys you could share Carl?

I did do some spoon test with the Krylon "Looking Glass" paint and the Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf paint.  One of these two could be an option for the chrome on the engine.  Just trying to tone down that bright shiny "Toyesh" look of the plastic chrome.  

20210721_081216.jpg

20210721_081715.jpg

17 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice.  Wonder how many versions of the 41 Willys were produced by AMT, Revell, etc?  Got a pic your Willys you could share Carl?

Mine is not built and I am just starting to work a little at the bench..

image.jpeg.48ce23ecb3ac3bf05264dd7490569f02.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slusher said:

Mine is not built and I am just starting to work a little at the bench..

image.jpeg.48ce23ecb3ac3bf05264dd7490569f02.jpeg

I guess I was thinking you had yours finished.  I saw that kit when I was on the hunt, just decided on the Big John Mazmanain kit since I saw him race his 41 Willys.