Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italari 1/12 Renault RE20 Turbo

Hi all well I've not been able to post on here for over a year as my pics would not show but I've been shown how to to it now.

This has been on the go for a while but here is where I am now I Sprayed some yellow (quite pleased as we all know yellow is a pita this is an incredible kit (although the fit is not up to tamiya standards the detail is outstanding, it's actually an ex protar kit.

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7516.jpg

IMG_7515.jpg

IMG_7514.jpg

IMG_7513.jpg

IMG_7512.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

• Like 1

OK first off (as with everything in this kit) either the locating holes are too small or the locating pins are too big either way on the rear suspension it is really important to drill parts 342L and 343L holes out with a 1.8 mill drill like this.

Or you will end up with the problem I had with getting it off without snapping the pin that it goes into off as it will not go fully home if you don't drill it out.

The pluming on this is a nightmare (I should have labeled all the pipes at the start of this build.

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7546.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

IMG_7548.jpg

IMG_7549.jpg

IMG_7550.jpg

Hi all the instructions tell you to leave 2.5 mm of the stud sticking out of the hub and thread the wheel nut onto that unfortunately the narrow part of the hole  into which you are supposed the thread the studvont is recessed 3 mill into the nut, my initial thought was to sand 3 mm off the nut thus bringing the thread able area forward, however the nut is tapered (as is the centre of the wheel) in the end I decided to drill the nut out so the hole was the same all the way through then drill that out 1.4 mm and thread that onto the stub, worked a treat.

The skirts are just placed there for a look see as there is loads more to do before they are finally fitted.

I'm really pleased with how this is going, I wonder if protar did any more of these F1 kits and if they can still be had on ebay and such.

IMG_7581.jpg

IMG_7582.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg

IMG_7584.jpg

IMG_7585.jpg

IMG_7586.jpg

IMG_7587.jpg

IMG_7588.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7590.jpg

Protar/Italeri did a McLaren MP4/2C and Alfa Romeo 179/179C.

The Alfa was a recent rerelease (like your Renault) and there are some about.  I think the McLaren is a real-soon-now rerelease.  I’m hoping to get one of each just to broaden my range of 1/12 F1 kits as Tamiya has a heap of 1970’s stuff and not much of that later period.

Some of the exhaust and turbo parts primed, and the worst decal applied I'm not going to say that was hard but it did involve quite a few expletives and quite a bit of nail biting (they needed cutting anyway)

IMG_7631.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg

IMG_7633.jpg

IMG_7634.jpg

IMG_7635.jpg

So did some work on the turbos and exhausts and added another decal (these big decals are a real pita I think I in the future I may cut big decals into smaller ones.

I'm really peed off I've got to take the rear suspension all off as I've forgotten to add the air cooling ducts to the disks, gthey were a pain in the first place.

IMG_7653.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

IMG_7655.jpg

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

Well the turbos are installed (what a pita) loads more plumbing to add, and of course (I'm really dreading this) the headrers. Added a couple more decals to the fuselage soon be able to add the pontoons permanently.

IMG_7676.jpg

IMG_7677.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7682.jpg

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7680.jpg

IMG_7681.jpg

IMG_7683.jpg

Hi all nearing the end, it says on the box removable covers to show detail, well it took me near on 2 hrs to get those side skirts to look anything like good fitting. I can imagine the conversation oh let me show you all the detail, by the time I got the skirts off they would have lost the will to live so the skirts will be staying on (shame after all the work that went into the turbos)

IMG_7731.jpg

IMG_7732.jpg

IMG_7733.jpg

IMG_7734.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7740.jpg

Work progresses on the RE20, on the last leg now. Bit peed of with the instructions re the seat belts if you follow the instructions your seat belts will go round the seat nearly twice so now I need to alter them and they were a pita the first time.

IMG_7748.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7750.jpg

IMG_7751.jpg

IMG_7752.jpg