Model Cars Magazine Forum

1928 Lincoln Tow Truck pics

Neat project. This looks like the body work was professionally rendered. A lot of early cars with heavy duty frames and healthy engines were converted into service cars following a rear end collision. This is a very classy shop car. Be sure to keep us updated when actual construction begins.

33 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Neat project. This looks like the body work was professionally rendered. A lot of early cars with heavy duty frames and healthy engines were converted into service cars following a rear end collision. This is a very classy shop car. Be sure to keep us updated when actual construction begins.

They also did it during WW2, to save them from being sent for scrap.

If the car was used for utility or commercial purposes, it could be registered for the streets. It also helped to gain easier access to fuel, tire and mileage rations.

10 hours ago, RSchnell said:

While not exactly what you're looking for, this thread might have some useful info!

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/338576-beautiful-tow-truck-fire-emergency-conversions/

Thanks, this is actually the site I found that made me want to build this truck. I've looked for other angles but can't find any. I'd really like to see a pic from the rear.  I'll probably just wing it, it's normally what I end up doing anyway.

Thanks again, Mark

12 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Thanks Tom, I started this a while ago getting the chassis and engine built but ran out of time to continue. I'm finding a little time now so I started the bodywork. When I get some good pics I'll start a WIP but this is what I've done so far.

Thanks, Mark

SUNP0002.JPG

SUNP0002.JPG

SUNP0001.JPG

10 hours ago, RSchnell said:

While not exactly what you're looking for, this thread might have some useful info!

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/338576-beautiful-tow-truck-fire-emergency-conversions/

Thanks for posting that link to some great wrecker conversions. Lots of reference info and inspiration for kit bashers and scratch builders to work from.

If you decide to build a Weaver hand crank with boom I have a lot of reference material that I used for building my 1925 wooden cab Ford model TT wrecker a few years ago. PM me your email address if you're interested in seeing pix of the finished model. Good luck with your project.

MANY years ago, Herb Deeks sold a resin '28 Lincoln tow truck body to fit the MPC Gangbuster Lincolns.  Just like your photo, but without the hardtop.  It's one piece of resin, the stock body in front and the service body in the rear.  Herb suggested that it could be used to build a "tow truck, service car or gentleman's hot rod."

I have one of those Deeks bodies and can try to get a photo of it later, if there's any interest.  Don't have time right now.

Tow-truck conversions like that Lincoln were popular, especially in the Los Angeles area, where movie stars and other rich people provided a steady supply of big, heavy luxury cars past their prime.  Even rarities like Duesenbergs, Marmons and Pierce-Arrows were just old cars by the 1940's, many of them custom-built and almost impossible to repair if their bespoke bodywork got damaged.  IIRC, one of the rarest Duesenbergs was sold off a Hollywood used-car lot in the late 1940's for about $200.

11 hours ago, Mike999 said:

MANY years ago, Herb Deeks sold a resin '28 Lincoln tow truck body to fit the MPC Gangbuster Lincolns.  Just like your photo, but without the hardtop.  It's one piece of resin, the stock body in front and the service body in the rear.  Herb suggested that it could be used to build a "tow truck, service car or gentleman's hot rod."

I have one of those Deeks bodies and can try to get a photo of it later, if there's any interest.  Don't have time right now.

Tow-truck conversions like that Lincoln were popular, especially in the Los Angeles area, where movie stars and other rich people provided a steady supply of big, heavy luxury cars past their prime.  Even rarities like Duesenbergs, Marmons and Pierce-Arrows were just old cars by the 1940's, many of them custom-built and almost impossible to repair if their bespoke bodywork got damaged.  IIRC, one of the rarest Duesenbergs was sold off a Hollywood used-car lot in the late 1940's for about $200.

Thanks Mike, that would be great if you could get me a few pics, I really appreciate it.

16 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Mark....very cool project and looks like you have a good start, too.  And Tom is da MAN when it comes to reference material on classic era tow booms!   Good luck and do keep us updated on your progress.....TIM 

Thanks Tim, I think I'll start a wip soon, I have a few pics. It's been fighting me all the way though, soooo much flash & a lot of it is molded poorly. I'm going to contact Tom for sure. I'll take any help I can get, I'm not too proud.

On 7/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, misterNNL said:

If you decide to build a Weaver hand crank with boom I have a lot of reference material that I used for building my 1925 wooden cab Ford model TT wrecker a few years ago. PM me your email address if you're interested in seeing pix of the finished model. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Tom, I'll be pm ing you soon. I appreciate your help.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:12 PM, Vietnam Vet67 said:

It looks like they may still be in business. Forward your picture to them and see if they have any info.

Here is their link:https://plattecountytowtruck.com/about-tow-truck-near-platte-city-mo

Great idea Ed, thanks!

On 7/19/2021 at 10:00 PM, Brian Austin said:

Here's a museum I'd like to visit, but it's a bit out of the way for me.

https://internationaltowingmuseum.org/

Thanks Brian, looks cool, I'd love to take my father but it's a little bit too far for us too.

Here's the Herb Deeks '28 Lincoln conversion.  It's only 3 pieces:  the body, bed and a big diamond-plate rear bumper.  I can open the bag if y'all want a closer look.  At the risk of releasing that possibly toxic old resin-infused air...🙃

deeks-1.JPG

deeks-2.JPG

deeks-3.JPG

Edited by Mike999
omit

23 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I can open the bag if y'all want a closer look.  At the risk of releasing that possibly toxic old resin-infused air...🙃

Don't do that! I wouldn't want to be responsible for what that stuff would do to you.🥴 Seriously though, thank you taking the pics.