Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Chevy Nova Wagon Street Rod FINISHED 3/20/22

Dennis Lacy

31 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

Well I for one think that the clean lines of the interior would be ruined by cup holders, you could always say they are hidden under the arm rests like on a 2012 VW CC! 

It’s more like if this was a full scale high-end build there ain’t no way anyone is drinking ANYTHING in my expensive custom interior! LOL!

• Like 2

Unreal!  In recent months I have been hand fabricating in fibreglass a pair of panels to go alongside the rear seat of my full size 35 Phaeton, with armrests and the like.  I have designed a cupholder into them but every bone in my body is saying "Why do I want someone with a drink back there?"

Glad to know it's not just me!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

I know it’s been a few weeks since I’ve had an update on this project and I assure everyone it has not stalled. I’ve been chipping away at getting the body and interior parts not only in primer but in their final body-worked primer coat, ready to paint. Below are all of the parts except for the interior tub which turned out nice but just needs some touch up around the big floor patch and a fresh coat of primer. 

D022690C-C852-41DE-BC9D-F656FCFDBE68.thumb.jpeg.3dc06c0a609cb324e09890d8474ffb09.jpeg

Here’s a small group of parts that are painted including the spare wheel, squirrel mascot, subwoofer faces and scratch built amplifiers. I couldn’t be happier with the amps!

134BEC2F-E241-404A-8A75-A722C4D48D8A.thumb.jpeg.03583f0275be71f05ec08c7be4fe0217.jpeg

Lastly, here’s some aftermarket goodies that recently came in the mail to finish off the interior. Billet gauge panels with digital gauges, speaker grills and radio faces. 

17110A03-1D03-4BB4-894C-E94C7C811353.thumb.jpeg.c2da881efbc189716e64196c28b19242.jpeg

That’s all for now. Next time I make an update should have parts in color. Stay tuned!

• Like 4

Looking good Dennis! I have the same billet gauges but haven’t used them yet, so looking forward to seeing how they look. My next project will be using them, so great timing. All the interior bits look great, the speakers, amps, and sub box really look the part. Keep that pesky squirrel away from the speaker wires!! Can’t wait to see your colour choices.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 8:16 AM, Steve H said:

Looking good Dennis! I have the same billet gauges but haven’t used them yet, so looking forward to seeing how they look. My next project will be using them, so great timing. All the interior bits look great, the speakers, amps, and sub box really look the part. Keep that pesky squirrel away from the speaker wires!! Can’t wait to see your colour choices.

Cheers, Steve

Luckily that squirrel is the owners, kids stuffed animal. No harm will come to the audio equipment! Haha

• 1 month later...

UPDATE! 

I absolutely haven’t forgotten or gotten lazy on this project. Even though I live in sunny Southern California it’s been the better part of a month since we’ve had weather I’d want to paint in. Finally, this week it’s back in the mid 70’s with sunshine so yesterday I sprayed color and today I sprayed clear. It already has a good shine so I can’t wait to see this body polished and waxed in a few weeks! I still have to mask and spray the window trim and a couple other areas satin black and I’ll probably let it sit and chill until next week before I do that. No sense in taking chances  

Here’s a sneak peek. Tamiya TS92 Pure Red and their clear.

9DEA1139-8E73-4204-B866-D8B1A626D740.thumb.jpeg.5e1623b0b8cfa50aaecfaebd310a0bb1.jpeg

Edited by Dennis Lacy
  • Like 4

That color is gorgeous!  I never used that color before - looks like it laid down nicely too!

How cold is too-cold-to-paint in SoCal?  Like, 65? 🤪❤️

I used to think NY got cold but it was, like, 15 here last week.  Car got so cold the LCD display on the dash seemed like it was working slow - there was a lag! 😂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

That color is gorgeous!  I never used that color before - looks like it laid down nicely too!

How cold is too-cold-to-paint in SoCal?  Like, 65? 🤪❤️

I used to think NY got cold but it was, like, 15 here last week.  Car got so cold the LCD display on the dash seemed like it was working slow - there was a lag! 😂

It’s definitely RED! I’m totally happy with it but if I were to use it again I’d probably use brown primer instead of light gray. 

I don’t like spraying large objects like bodies when the temp is under 70 degrees. Smaller stuff I’ll go down into the 60’s but I’m not taking any chances on bodies. I have no interest in dealing with purple ponds! I do all my spray painting at work and a while back our water heater went out and my dad is too cheap to replace it so I have to warm my spray cans with solar energy. 🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

It’s definitely RED! I’m totally happy with it but if I were to use it again I’d probably use brown primer instead of light gray. 

I don’t like spraying large objects like bodies when the temp is under 70 degrees. Smaller stuff I’ll go down into the 60’s but I’m not taking any chances on bodies. I have no interest in dealing with purple ponds! I do all my spray painting at work and a while back our water heater went out and my dad is too cheap to replace it so I have to warm my spray cans with solar energy. 🤣

You’d never get any work done up here, we’ve been locked in a deep freeze for weeks, average temps were below -25 Celsius.

That red does look very red indeed. Can’t wait to see this one finished. 

• Like 1

I agree with the others on the paint color. Looks great from here. You mentioned thinking about using a different primer color in the future. Since this is based on a grey primer then going to a brown might make the color a little darker. Tamiya also offers a pink colored primer and that or their white would give you a lighter or maybe even a brighter shade of red depending on what you're going for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, espo said:

…You mentioned thinking about using a different primer color in the future. Since this is based on a grey primer then going to a brown might make the color a little darker…

Slightly darker is what I would want if I used this paint again. But, I’m plenty happy with the shade of red for this project. 

See, this is why I only wanna build drag cars..... ALL THAT INTERIOR STUFF!

LOL, just kiddin around, this is freakin awesome esp. that front spoiler, beautiful work!. The 'only' thing I see being off is the front seats need to move forward some, there's no foot room for the poor rear seat passengers! HA!

Edited by Raoul Ross
  • Like 1

• Dennis Lacy changed the title to 1963 Chevy Nova Wagon Street Rod FINISHED 3/20/22