Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/Ertl 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL - "Prestige" kit

plasticprime

When the final clear coat on this build went south, it wound up being an experiment and learning experience all wrapped up in one. (Many of the model sages would say that applies to every build, and I guess they’re correct.) Thanks to a lot of good advice from the WIP forum, I tried my hand for the first time at many successive wet sandings with progressively finer grades. It had a miraculous impact overall, although I burned through some high points.

I wanted a two-tone interior, so I gained a lot of masking experience. I also experimented with Rust-oleum “Metallic Finish” spray paint for the interior chrome effects on the dash and front seat bases. Even after heating the can, the paint came out somewhat erratically.  It wound up looking ok, but really needed to be sealed with a clear coat of some kind, as it’s extremely fragile even after fully cured and very prone to handling marks. (Exterior paint was Tamiya TS-50; interior colors were Tamiya TS15 & TS-44.)

I created 1960s era road maps and issues of “Hot Rod” magazine by downloading online images and redesigning them on the computer so that they’d be more legible at scale. (The owner of this car has a lousy sense of direction and needs some reading material handy for those extra long “short cuts.”)

I figured I’d never get the exhaust tips to properly line up with the connecting pieces on the chassis, so I cut off the chassis exhaust extensions, and made exhaust tips for the engine from aluminum tubing (even though I used the “stock” engine).

I thought black trim would look nice, and I did that with a black Sharpie. The door handles were brush painted flat black after doing some careful masking with Tamiya tape.

I love the ’63½ Galaxie and am pretty pleased with this one.

Galaxie 500 photo sheet.jpg

32 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Very nice looking '63 Benton.   That Rustoleum on the chrome bases looks surprisingly chrome like.  That's one paint I don't think I have seen on here as a substititute for chrome.

Thanks! As mentioned, the Rust-oleum paint is kind of hit and miss - if it decides to come out of the can smoothly, it looks great. But sometimes it spits out of the can. It also needs to be sealed somehow, as even after being fully cured the slightest touch will mar it. 

14 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Very nice. Could you post MORE pics? There is so much detail to explore.

I pretty much used up all of the good pictures when I put together the photo sheet, but if I get an opportunity, I'll try to take some more at some point. Thanks!

Good Looking Galaxie . This release did not have the Galaxie spelled out on the Trunk Lid . I am unaware if later issues had this detail restored . As this was first released an Aftermarket Vendor sold the Lettering . I did buy a set . The Pioneer days of Aftermarket in the Car Model segment then . Well , they are 'dry transfer" . Time has 'semi customized" the Model . Some of he Letters ran away . What did you do to fix the  Interior Chrome ISSUE . RSVP . Great model work and Thanx

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 9:41 AM, dimaxion said:

Good Looking Galaxie . This release did not have the Galaxie spelled out on the Trunk Lid . I am unaware if later issues had this detail restored . As this was first released an Aftermarket Vendor sold the Lettering . I did buy a set . The Pioneer days of Aftermarket in the Car Model segment then . Well , they are 'dry transfer" . Time has 'semi customized" the Model . Some of he Letters ran away . What did you do to fix the  Interior Chrome ISSUE . RSVP . Great model work and Thanx

I didn't really do anything other than be extremely careful not to touch the chrome paint after it was applied. With the seats and dash, that was really no problem. i had a bit of a slip on the radiator shroud, however, But nothing's perfect. Eventually I'll do some more experimenting with this paint (the can's large enough to last until the next century) with various clear coats, which should help protect it.