Model Cars Magazine Forum

GTM Ken Miles Willow Springs Cobra as in Ford vs Ferrari

A friend brought this in from Japan for me although I will not actually get it for two weeks I had to find some pictures of it. The kit is from GTM which is a Modellers company. It is based on the AMT kit with some extras to build a replica of the car Ken Miles hammered the trunk and broke the windscreen with a wrench in the movie Ford vs Ferrari. I have the Ken Miles and Carroll Shelby figurines that came with the Revell USRRC kit so they will look good with this one

1570576978_10781303b(1).jpg.51bb9a3f193da86167a524bd7b9c5293.jpg10781303p.jpg.a084766a9725996a95e6dc43f3a2576d.jpg

10781303a.jpg.79d9e7bfb8b585d5089af3fce0ef0b80.jpg

• Thanks 1

Anxious to see the new parts they provide. Appears to be based on the old Sunny kit with the 427 style oval nose and the 427 style roll bar.  Looks like they filled the side exhaust opening and removed the oil cooler scoop as well.

DSCN3175DSCN3171

Edited by afx

4 hours ago, afx said:

Anxious to see the new parts they provide. Appears to be based on the old Sunny kit with the 427 style oval nose.  Looks like they filled the side exhaust opening and removed the oil cooler scoop as well.

Yes I think you are correct. I did not notice the similarity to the Sunny/Academy kit. I may build mine with an AMT body which would be more correct.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:03 AM, Phildaupho said:

Yes I think you are correct. I did not notice the similarity to the Sunny/Academy kit. I may build mine with an AMT body which would be more correct.

All of the GTM Cobras (this would be the 2nd release) are based on the Sunny/Academy kit.  They seem to have some sort of access to Academy's tooling since they also ran off some of those Accurate Miniature Corvettes that Academy has the tooling to these days.

On 7/24/2021 at 8:03 AM, TonyK said:

Thank you. I've never heard of this company before. Anyone have some dealings with them? Only bought from Hobbylinc Japan out side the USA.

Yes, I’ve bought several kits from them over the last few years.  Great service.  Kits are sometimes a lot cheaper than what they are in the U.S., but you have to be careful about shipping cost as you can give back savings there.  I’ve used their fast and slow shipping with no problems.  I’ve gotten kits from them that have sold out in the U.S.

UPDATE - I finally got my hands on the kit so here a few observations

- Great looking packaging although box opens at the ends European style

- Box has a CS Official Licensed Product sticker although no where does the word Cobra appear [CS = Carroll Shelby]

- Instructions from Academy kit

- Everything nicely packaged separately 

- Chrome sprue has pretty good looking wirewheels with wider rears so not the AMT wheels

- Parts are molded in grey plastic

- The body is exactly like the Academy body with oil cooler in place. There are separate pieces provided to blank off the side exhaust outlets

- There are two sets of tires. One set is no name big and littles. The other set are Goodyear Polyglas

- What would have been the chrome sprue in the Academy kit is not chromed in this kit

- Parts are not provided for the rear exiting exhaust

7 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Thanks for the info. What's your thoughts on the kit? I've already ordered mine so hopefully you think it looks good enough.

I am really glad I decided to get this kit for its unique quirkiness and subject matter and I actually plan to eventually build a model of the movie car using many of the parts that come with this kit but I will be using the body and some other parts from the AMT kit to produce a more authentic replica. That being said a very attractive model can be built directly from the GTM kit.

2 hours ago, Ralph Henderson said:

does anybody have a link to the purchase of this kit? I cannot find it anywhere on the above site, and I'm usually pretty good a tracking stuff down..

I too have modified a Sunny to more resemble a true 289 roadster.. like to have one of these kits..

Search GTM models in www.1999.co.jp and it should come up.

18 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

UPDATE - I finally got my hands on the kit so here a few observations

- Parts are not provided for the rear exiting exhaust

The AMT kit includes the full length exhaust which would fit the GTM/Sunny kit.

CCI09232008 00013