Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021: Ertl International F-4270

Well folks, here it is. I got the finishing touches applied the 'ol Binder over the weekend. I present to you my entry for the 2021 Big Rig Build Off, the International Transtar F-4270 just as Ertl imagined it. Out of the box (actually several to get a complete truck). Thanks to the generosity and encouragement of the forum, I was able to piece together a complete truck using several incomplete kits I've acquired over the last couple years. The only exceptions to my self imposed rule of all kit-correct parts was a grille from a new issue 4300 because I wanted it perfect, as well as the glass for the same reason. I'm extremely pleased with my work on this one, and I'm usually my own worst critic. My ONLY gripe is the hood doesn't open nearly wide enough to get a good glimpse of the 903 Cummins nestled underneath it. I need to get a couple errant dust flecks and fingerprints off of it before it goes in the display case, but I'm calling it finished.

Just to recap, I wanted to keep this as faithful to the truck on and in the box as possible. No extra parts, no scratchbuilding, no kitbashing, no resin, no wiring, plumbing, or other detailing. I did, however modify a few kit parts to improve appearance and/or fit and finish. One big one being drilling out the ends of the airhorns because it's the one area Ertl dropped the ball. I also stripped a lot of the chrome and refinished those parts in more realistic colors and sheens. The only exception to the "from the box" rule were the new parts I mentioned above, as well as Modeltruckin' decals to get the stripes to match the box art. I also made use of modern paints, glues, and techniques to get what I feel is the most out of what's in the Ertl box. That being said, this kit is great fodder for the detail oriented. They're fairly collectible now, but if you find yourself in a position to get one, it's a joy to put together. 

IMG_0600-vi.jpg

IMG_0594-vi.jpg

IMG_0597-vi.jpg

IMG_0595-vi.jpg

IMG_E0606-vi.jpg

Build thread is here:

BRBO 2021 International Transtar F-4270 Rebuild - Page 2 - WIP: Model Trucks: Big Rigs and Heavy Equipment - Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thank you all for taking a look and offering your compliments during the build!

Edited by Casey429
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 9:04 PM, Casey429 said:

Well folks, here it is. I got the finishing touches applied the 'ol Binder over the weekend. I present to you my entry for the 2021 Big Rig Build Off, the International Transtar F-4270 just as Ertl imagined it. Out of the box (actually several to get a complete truck). Thanks to the generosity and encouragement of the forum, I was able to piece together a complete truck using several incomplete kits I've acquired over the last couple years. The only exceptions to my self imposed rule of all kit-correct parts was a grille from a new issue 4300 because I wanted it perfect, as well as the glass for the same reason. I'm extremely pleased with my work on this one, and I'm usually my own worst critic. My ONLY gripe is the hood doesn't open nearly wide enough to get a good glimpse of the 903 Cummins nestled underneath it. I need to get a couple errant dust flecks and fingerprints off of it before it goes in the display case, but I'm calling it finished.

Just to recap, I wanted to keep this as faithful to the truck on and in the box as possible. No extra parts, no scratchbuilding, no kitbashing, no resin, no wiring, plumbing, or other detailing. I did, however modify a few kit parts to improve appearance and/or fit and finish. One big one being drilling out the ends of the airhorns because it's the one area Ertl dropped the ball. I also stripped a lot of the chrome and refinished those parts in more realistic colors and sheens. The only exception to the "from the box" rule were the new parts I mentioned above, as well as Modeltruckin' decals to get the stripes to match the box art. I also made use of modern paints, glues, and techniques to get what I feel is the most out of what's in the Ertl box. That being said, this kit is great fodder for the detail oriented. They're fairly collectible now, but if you find yourself in a position to get one, it's a joy to put together. 

IMG_0600-vi.jpg

Beautiful pic!!!

Thank you all for stopping in to take a look. I appreciate the kind words!

18 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Well done. May I suggest some suzie coils to give the pogo stick some company.

Bill, I thought about this, but it would go against my MO of straight from the box. Maybe at a later date, but for now this is all she wrote.

• 4 months later...