Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will Revell restock their current race car kits?


Recommended Posts

No way to know. I got a shock the other day on ebay when I saw a '69 Nova SS by Atlantis. I had no idea that that kit was in the deal with Revell. There may be others they have that we don't know about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

No way to know. I got a shock the other day on ebay when I saw a '69 Nova SS by Atlantis. I had no idea that that kit was in the deal with Revell. There may be others they have that we don't know about.

That's one of the 1/32 scale kits though, Roger. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

That's one of the 1/32 scale kits though, Roger. 

Didn't pay attention to the scale. But, the boxart makes it look a lot like the Revell '69. 

s-l300.jpg.2282cac31f46d679c66e5566bb05dfbe.jpg

I'm thinking that's not a built model on the box either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both the Iaconio pro stock Camaro and the sprint car have been in the catalog awhile.  The hobby shop here had a few of both kits when they first came out (2018 or so), they discounted the last couple of sprint car kits to move them out.  I'd hazard a guess that both kits have already been dropped from the catalog, or will be before much longer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see any signs of Revell having returned to a "normal" distribution situation, so I wouldn't expect any Revell kits to be stocked regularly nor consistently.

Not sure what even qualifies as "current" for Revell, either, at this point. They seem to have a surge of three or four automotive kits, then nothing for a few months, then repeat.

The Iaconio Camaro P/S kit was released in 2018, so not sure if that was a one-and-done thing, if they planned to produce another run if demand was there, or what. Buy it when you see it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Buy it when you see it.

Yeah, I should have bought a few when they were available.  So hard to find race car kits these days.  All online retailers have them as backordered so I was hoping they'd get replenished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Yeah, I should have bought a few when they were available.  So hard to find race car kits these days.  All online retailers have them as backordered so I was hoping they'd get replenished.

Quick Goggle search turned up both at this place:

https://www.activepowersports.com/monogram-models-iaconio-chevrolet-camaro-pro-stock-854483/?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse

https://www.activepowersports.com/revell-monogram-1-24-indy-race-parts-joey-saldana-sprint-cup-854444/

Edited by Casey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Casey said:

This company will take your money and string you along saying it is backordered.  Check out their BBB complaints.  I purchased from a similar company a couple of years ago and ordered $500 worth of supplies and models.  After getting jerked around for a month I filed a complaint with my CC company because they didn't take PP.  The CC company immediately refunded my money.  When the CC company got involved the guy sent half my stuff and said the order was completed.  I let the CC company know what he did and after a week of investigation they told me they had sided with me and I could keep the stuff that was shipped.  Worked out pretty good for me as I think they were teaching him a lesson but it was a bit scary at first thinking I was going to lose $500.

Edited by jchrisf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Revell's parent company fairly recently combined their US operations base with that of its sister brand (under their umbrella) Carrera. The Hobbico fallout has been a tremendous mess for Quantum to sort through but things have every sign of improving. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carrera-of-america-and-revell-merge-to-become-carrera-revell-of-americas-inc-301296204.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Didn't pay attention to the scale. But, the boxart makes it look a lot like the Revell '69. 

s-l300.jpg.2282cac31f46d679c66e5566bb05dfbe.jpg

I'm thinking that's not a built model on the box either. 

That's actually a photoshopped pic from the '72 Nova brochure.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1972_Chevrolet/1972 Chevrolet Nova/image5.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I emailed Revell after the Joey Saldana kit came out and thanked them for the updated sprint car model and told them to make more with different sponsor decals and I'd buy them. I was surprised to get a reply with something about we'll discuss that at an upcoming meeting. Uh huh.

Here we are years later and.....nothing new. I'm no business expert but it seems like a few new sponsor sheets tossed into an already designed kit would be easy money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I emailed Revell after the Joey Saldana kit came out and thanked them for the updated sprint car model and told them to make more with different sponsor decals and I'd buy them. I was surprised to get a reply with something about we'll discuss that at an upcoming meeting. Uh huh.

Here we are years later and.....nothing new. I'm no business expert but it seems like a few new sponsor sheets tossed into an already designed kit would be easy money.

The Sprint cars never sold up to expectations. IIRC they were the product of Jay Adams while product manager. He liked Sprit cars and got them pushed through. I can see Revell doing NASCAR kits before a new tool Sprint car kit and I do not see them doing the 2022 Cup Car kit. 

Add that the money guys are now in Germany and you see how hard it would be to get a Sprint car kit, new or updated. If Ed Sexton is still working for/with Revell(Germany) he'd be the one to talk to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes you have to keep in mind that Revell has gone under new ownership since these kits came out, it's Germany based nowadays and their focus is maybe on other things than the American race cars...sad but true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...