Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '71 Impala

Can-Con

I'm blaming RDean58 for this car.

When I got this car a couple years ago I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to go with it. I wasn't too bad but I thought it deserved better.

2v2aKVRc8x2A694.jpg

2v2aKVRwMx2A694.jpg

I was thinking a simple repaint in the same color but after seeing Bobs gorgeous one in Tamiya metallic red, I had to have that look too.

So after stripping, I had some work to do to get it ready for new paint. There was some glue damage to repair.

2v2HDEWW2x2A694.jpg

2v2HDEWnvx2A694.jpg

2v2HDEWF9x2A694.jpg

It was easier to sand off all the damaged trim, do repairs and add new trim from sheet and strip plastic.

2v2a9Eykzx2A694.jpg

2v2a9EyD2x2A694.jpg

and now here it is in it's new Tamiya metallic red finish, all the trim done and the glass installed.

2v2aKVYS5x2A694.jpg

2v2aKVYhrx2A694.jpg

Most of the scripts will be added back on from the MCG photoetch set for the '76 Caprice, which also has the correct Impala secipts. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kelson said:

Very nice!,i just recently scored another 72'Impala in great shape,i'm thinking of painting it in Aegean Brown when it comes time to build it.Do you plan on building yours stock?.

Pretty well Curtis. Probably just a wheel and tire swap ,,, might even use a set of pickup rallye wheels. I've seen them used on full size Chevys of this generation. Probably do it curbside but I might get ambitious and fill out under the hood.

• 3 weeks later...