Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 CHP Dodge Monaco

doorsovdoon

Not a bad kit by MPC, nice accessories to make a good looking CHP Monaco and the body and trim is nicely detailed along with a decent looking interior. I changed out the steering wheel that comes with the kit cos it looked way too small. Chassis is very basic with only the rear axle being a separate piece. The hardest part of this build was actually the door mirrors and spot lights. The spotlights look like they were just thrown in with the kit from something else, and just as basic, they don't even have lenses, and the door mirrors have such tinny stems that the lightest touch will knock them off. Nice simple kit, I enjoyed this one.

DSC00640.JPG

DSC00641.JPG

DSC00642.JPG

DSC00643.JPG

DSC00644.JPG

Quite a nice WK41U8A there ! I can just hear that 850cfm ThermoQuad's secondaries opening-wide , fighting to suck that bonnet into that last-of-the-440-cube engine !

And , that IT's 55 sticker brings back some memories of that dreadful 55 mph speed limit of 1974-1995 . 

Keep 'em coming ! Work your magick on the 1970 Galaxie police-taxi next (but , keep that BOSS 429 in your parts' bin ) .

8 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Quite a nice WK41U8A there ! I can just hear that 850cfm ThermoQuad's secondaries opening-wide , fighting to suck that bonnet into that last-of-the-440-cube engine !

And , that IT's 55 sticker brings back some memories of that dreadful 55 mph speed limit of 1974-1995 . 

Keep 'em coming ! Work your magick on the 1970 Galaxie police-taxi next (but , keep that BOSS 429 in your parts' bin ) .

Thanks, John. I've already done a taxi using the '70 Galaxie. I might do a SFPD car from it though.. and possibly a San Francisco Taxi from this Monaco kit:) Yeah, I think I'll do curbside if I build that kit again, same go's for the Monaco.

Nice job Gareth.  This is probably the first time I have ever commented on a police car build, probably because I have only just finished my first ( probably last!) build.  After all, not many hot rodders are particularly fond of police cars, eh?

All jokes aside, this is a really crisp build.  Isn't it fun masking off the black and white separation?  And it sits nice - it looks planted to the ground as a police car should.

Cheers

Alan

Nice work on that one Gareth, just as I'd imagine it should look from seeing all those '70s American films and TV shows!

If this is the same kit as the Joker Goon Car then I built one some years ago, went together nicely as I recall and it still looks good on the shelf. Mine was done as a matt black hi-po rat/stealth car. Still got another one to do someday, and the Force 440 coupe version. Thinking of doing one of them as a stock passenger car.

On 7/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Nice work on that one Gareth, just as I'd imagine it should look from seeing all those '70s American films and TV shows!

If this is the same kit as the Joker Goon Car then I built one some years ago, went together nicely as I recall and it still looks good on the shelf. Mine was done as a matt black hi-po rat/stealth car. Still got another one to do someday, and the Force 440 coupe version. Thinking of doing one of them as a stock passenger car.

Thanks, Nigel. It's the same kit as the Joker goon car except the wheels are different. 

On 7/25/2021 at 2:01 AM, alan barton said:

Isn't it fun masking off the black and white separation?  And it sits nice - it looks planted to the ground as a police car should.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Fun as in a good hour or so carefully masking it and still getting paint bleed, lol! Yes, it sits nice and not too high like a lot of kits do, though the front wheels did stick out too far so had cut the hubs back a bit.