Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 Ferrari Testarossa....now hear me out....

so I ended up with a spare ferrari body...and a K.S. Pittman willys...and then I got to thinking.

im planning to use a lot of the willys kit. motor, trans, rear end etc. my plan is to have the stance low so I have to work on that.  

I cant be the only one whos ever wondered how itd look as a drag car...or am I really that demented haha

heres the initial mock up with the beatnik bandit motor and revell thunderbolt steel wheels and tires... finished product will have the willys 392 hemi and some other wheel. most likely either a halibrand or a 5 spoke American. 

20210721_165734.jpg

20210721_165738.jpg

20210721_210527.jpg

Edited by chris chabre
  • Like 2

I LIKE it...probably 'cause I started something kinda similar some time back.

There was a time when an old Ferrari with a blown engine wasn't worth much more than its scrap value, and at least one real pontoon-fender TR did get American V8 power.

EDIT: Back in the late '50s and well into the '60s, there was no shortage of people pulling fiberglass molds from existing sports car bodies and making copies, or building original designs. A repop TR body could easily have been mounted to a frame like you're using, etc. etc. etc.

The M/SP class would be where something like this would have ended up, so it's actually entirely possible as a what-if.

Definitely cool.   B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

There was a time when an old Ferrari with a blown engine wasn't worth much more than its scrap value, and at least one real pontoon-fender TR did get American V8 power.

The M/SP class would be where something like this would have ended up, so it's actually entirely possible as a what-if.

Definitely cool.   B)

Agree completely. Drive on! B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

EDIT: Back in the late '50s and well into the '60s, there was no shortage of people pulling fiberglass molds from existing sports car bodies and making copies, or building original designs. A repop TR body could easily have been mounted to a frame like you're using, etc. etc. etc.

Definitely cool.   B)

the M/SP class was the exact reason it was in my head!!

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I dont get much bench time with basically 2 jobs (one being my shop) 2 young kids and never ending projects around the house and land but I hit a milestone and started assembly on the motor.

My next move is to decide on a color. Im thinking an emerald green so I can get the motor painted

20210723_152321.jpg

Edited by chris chabre

not sure why yet, but Im not feeling the diameter and how much these slicks stick out. I have the complete box stock rear end unit out of the willys. Maybe Ill narrow the rear a few "inches". The pie crusts I mocked it up on initially are narrower but the halibrands dont fit them...Im also struggling with the right front wheel/tire combo..Ill get it eventually.

I also pulled the olds out for a mock up Garlits hemi my brother built as a kid.

my next step is to start cutting on the body to get the chassis to fit as its a danbury mint body. gonna open up the grille, lighten up some key areas, raise the rear wheel well radius so the car will sit lower etc. 

20210727_212055.jpg

20210727_212041.jpg

20210727_212027.jpg

20210727_221710.jpg

20210727_222112.jpg

20210727_222010.jpg

Edited by chris chabre

Im leaning towards spindle mounts as well.  Im thinking along the lines that itd have the best of the best on it for the time frame.

I have some more ideas coming Andrew haha I hope to start building both and early style custom and land speed cars from the 49 Jags Ive recently acquired.  I grew up with my father being a Ford/Mercury 60s era drag racing historian, so that era ends up being my favorite as well. I gravitated towards hot rods, customs and Land speed racing among other niches of the industry

17 hours ago, chris chabre said:

...not sure why yet, but Im not feeling the diameter and how much these slicks stick out.

A lot depends on the exact time period you want to represent. Earlier M/SP cars ran less rear rubber and had higher noses.

Around the time they were absorbed by the altered classes, often lower noses and lots more rear rubber.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A lot depends on the exact time period you want to represent. Earlier M/SP cars ran less rear rubber and had higher noses.

Around the time they were absorbed by the altered classes, often lower noses and lots more rear rubber.

exactly, I may narrow the rear a few inches, a bit less tire out back and a bit more tire up front. time will tell.