Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus phantom ‘61 El Camino

I’m a bit stalled out on a current project, so thought I would post a build from a few years back. 
I was lucky enough to get a handful of Modelhaus resin kits before they retired. Coincidentally, the stalled project is also from Modelhaus.

Kit bashed the Modelhaus body with a Lindberg ‘61 Impala chassis. Wheels and tires from the parts box, wheels tinted with Tamiya smoke, LS engine from the Wagonrod kit. The resin interior was modified with the addition of a console, seat belts and the Lindberg dash. Engine has ignition wires and fuel line.

I added a parts box hood scoop and fabricated a bed cover. Paint is Tamiya TS100 semi gloss gunmetal with flat clear. Gloss red stripe in the side spear, BMF trim, and a carbon fibre decal for the bed cover.

As always, all comments welcome, thanks for having a look.

C4F72D5D-852F-4FA5-B20B-9746AB3D2314.thumb.jpeg.45d1888a2f804b73d7baad0177eed929.jpeg

DFFDF25D-7C80-4E11-A4A8-18B3A34E8EA8.thumb.jpeg.7b7c5e8bd3c7685795ad91be3ecb8140.jpeg

AA226073-D0C6-489D-B621-DBEBED4105DC.thumb.jpeg.c835beedcfe22515dff7c35b007f1d94.jpeg

B7A1BD77-180E-427C-BF3E-3E38E486FCB2.thumb.jpeg.cdf3f2058fd0c09ec6a25785460aa7dc.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks great. I wish I had bought one of these bodies before they went away. I like the paint treatment and the interior and the side color look good. The engine, looks like the Mercury Marine Corvette engine ?    

On 7/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, Can-Con said:

That's a neat car Steve, I wish I had the extra funds to pick up a couple kits before Modelhaus packed it in.

BTW, that an LT5, not an LS engine.

Thank you Steve. They made some great stuff. I’m working on number 3 of 5, I managed to sneak in just before the cut off for orders. I hear they are very expensive online now.  Thanks for the correction on the engine, messed that one up… 

On 7/31/2021 at 10:26 AM, Plowboy said:

That's a cool looking El Camino Steve! Looks like a natural with the '59-'60 roof. It has me wondering what a '62 would look like with that roof. Nice work!

Hi Roger, it was interesting that Modelhaus used the ‘59 roof, but as you said it looks right. ‘62 Impalas are one of my all time favourite cars, I do have thoughts of either a wagon or Elky conversion some day. I think I would retain the ‘62 A pillars if I do one. Thanks for looking sir!

On 8/1/2021 at 5:08 AM, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thank you Chris.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:34 AM, Koellefornia Kid said:

Great job! Wheels paint, and engine work nice together!

Thanks Oliver, this one went together easy, and was a fun build.

23 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Great car, and impressive engine. The big cheese at Vintage Air AC in Texas has (or had...) one similar, in 1/1. Your's color is more "menacing". 

Bravo!

CT 

Hello Claude !! I was aiming for a bit of attitude with the paint, I think it looks a bit menacing too. Coincidentally, my next project is going to be the same colour, but the overall look will be even more menacing. Having the next project in my head is inspiration to finish this one…

2 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hello Claude !! I was aiming for a bit of attitude with the paint, I think it looks a bit menacing too. Coincidentally, my next project is going to be the same colour, but the overall look will be even more menacing. Having the next project in my head is inspiration to finish this one…

Hi Steve!

Like the old sage, CT (wait: that's me!) once said: "So much styrene, so little time!"

CT

9 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Like the old sage, CT (wait: that's me!) once said: "So much styrene, so little time!"

CT

I KNOW, RIGHT !!! Good problem to have. I’m pretty sure (actually certain) that everyone on this forum has a stash of kits that would last for many, many years, even if they didn’t buy another. I’ve got more on hand than I’ll likely ever build, but it’s nice to have variety, and really, you can never have too much styrene….

That looks perfect Steve, a totally believable street machine. The red highlight in the chrome spear really does it for me.

Here in Oz, home of the Ute, AKA El Camino, it was perfectly normal for both Ford and GM to carry over body styling on the lower production utes from one series to another.  So for a 61 to have a 59 / 60 greenhouse is totally in the realms of possibility. EH Holden utes for example, had earlier EJ rear quarter panels and taillights. HR Holden utes had HD quarters and taillights.  And the FB/EK Holdens, with 57 Chevy styling cues, got the entire rear of the FC/FE ute that had a body style reminiscent of the 55 Chevies - in other words, it looked like they cut an earlier body and a later body in half and joined them together!

So this combination could well have happened if GM had continued the line onto the 61-64 Chevies. In fact, if sales of the 59/60 were lower than expected, it would have been economically advisable!

Cheers

Alan