Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Munster Koach..."...kind of a drag(ster)"

plasticprime

Herman ran this baby on the drag strip in the episode “Hot Rod Herman,” so I’m placing this under Drag Cars. (That was the episode that also introduced Grandpa’s garage-built DRAG-U-LA.)

I had some issues with this kit, as simple as it is – mostly fit issues, but the ride height also seemed off, so I used adjustment shims for the rear wheels. The main body was polished slightly and then brush coated with Future (sorry, I mean “Pledge Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future Shine”). The interior red is Tamiya TS-49. Interior details were brush painted with Tamiya acrylics. I blacked out the ends of the various exhaust stacks, used a black wash on the chrome wheels, and scratch built a back for the upper most “crow’s nest” seat. Other modifications are called out in the photo sheet.

Munster Koach 7-21-21.jpg

• Like 1

I dig it! I always like that kit, but I understand what you mean about the fitment. Seems that some of my fond memories of these kits, mostly due to subject matter, is a bit rosy, but with a different experience as an adult builder.  They can still make great looking shelf pieces tho, as is the case here with yours. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great build. Doesn't look simple to me at all. With the multitude of colors and what looks to be a number of very small parts requiring a fair amount of detail to look correct you did a great job. I have thought about purchasing this kit but have thus far decided against it cause I'm not confident I could detail it well enough to make look it right.

• Thanks 1