Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tyrrell 020B Ilmor

From Wikipedia:

The Tyrrell 020 was a Formula One racing car designed by Harvey Postlethwaite and George Ryton for Tyrrell Racing and raced during the 1991 season. The 020 was driven by Satoru Nakajima who brought the Honda engine contract with him and also by Stefano Modena. Its best result was a second place by Modena in the Canadian Grand Prix. Tyrrell scored 12 points to finish 6th in the Constructors' Championship with half the points scored by Modena's 2nd in Canada.

The car was powered by the 690 bhp (515 kW; 700 PS) Honda RA101E V10 engine previously raced by McLaren in 1990 and maintained by Mugen Motorsports, which would run Mugen-Honda badged engines the following year for Footwork Arrows.

The car was updated for the 1992 season and was dubbed the 020B. For this season the Honda V10 was replaced with the 680 bhp (507 kW; 689 PS) Ilmor LH10 V10 engine and was driven by Olivier Grouillard and veteran Andrea de Cesaris. The team only scored 8 points for the season but again finished in 6th place.

My first time building a kit from Wave.  Very basic, few parts, it was almost a snap kit the way it went together.  The tires were suspect as they seemed "sticky" no matter how much I cleaned them.  I coated them with Future both before and after the decals and they seem to be OK.  Simple curbside slump-buster between more complex builds.  Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

DSCN6057.JPG

DSCN6058.JPG

DSCN6059.JPG

DSCN6060.JPG

DSCN6061.JPG

DSCN6062.JPG

DSCN6063.JPG

DSCN6064.JPG

DSCN6065.JPG

55 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

A nice clean build. Those Tamiya 1/20 kits come out well. 

I should have stated in the open, this is 1/24 and the kit is from Wave, a manufacturer I'd never heard of before.  I do have a Tamiya in the stash for the future.

30 minutes ago, bbowser said:

I should have stated in the open, this is 1/24 and the kit is from Wave, a manufacturer I'd never heard of before.  I do have a Tamiya in the stash for the future.

That kinda makes it better!!!! the smaller scale is a tougher build....plus I have a few Wave kits....good but not Tamiya! 

Very nice build. I've built the Wave Benetton and have the Tyrrell in my stash.

Wave is a Japanese that does mostly sci-fi/gundam but has also produced car, ship, & figure kits.

Nice to see an F1 car that's not a Ferrari, McLaren, or 6-wheeler. 🙂