Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bullitt" '68 Charger and Mustang. Double Build!

doorsovdoon

After building the awful MPC Charger I've been thinking about the movie Bullitt. I hadn't seen the film in well over twenty years and the only part I remember about it really was the car chase. I watched it the other night and I honestly forgot how good it was, not just the iconic car chase scene but the story too. What an awesome movie! So, being more than a little inspired, I went ahead and bought the Revell '68 Mustang and Charger! I think I have most of the correct parts to do these now. I have two sets of Torq-Thrust wheels for the Mustang, not sure which ones I'll use yet, I'll paint them up and see which I prefer, and Steve "can-con" on here has kindly sent me out some Dodge Dart wheel covers for the Charger, they're not the same but close enough for me. 

Revell Charger.jpg

Revell Mustang.jpg

DSC00655.JPG

DSC00656.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

...Steve "can-con" on here has kindly sent me out some Dodge Dart wheel covers for the Charger, they're not the same but close enough for me. 

If you're building a real replica of the "Bullitt" Charger, you'll need at least 11 of those wheel covers. 😁 

I always considered "Bullitt" to be a great 8-minute car chase, surrounded by 1 hour and 46 minutes of a totally baffling movie.  Even some of the cast and crew were confused by the plot and never understood it.  I found this on a board discussing the movie:

"Robert Vaughn read the script and said it didn't make any sense. He declined the part. They kept offering him more money. He said the more money they offered him, the more sense the plot made."

I'm a little curious if the new '68 Charger release is a 2n'1 kit like the Dick Landy kit from??? 20 years ago....

The box art also shows that the new body has a vinyl roof molded on, or did they (Revell) use the '69 body for this kit???....

Edited by deuces wild

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

If you're building a real replica of the "Bullitt" Charger, you'll need at least 11 of those wheel covers. 😁 

No, you only need 4 at the beginning of the chase and 2 at the end. 

During the chase, you see three (some claim even more) come off, after which it still has two. This is because a good bit of the chase is repeated using footage from different cameras. It's also why you keep seeing the same green Beetle and '68 Tempest. They went down that hill once, with it being filmed by many cameras including some inside the cars. The way it's edited, it looks like they went down at least two hills. They didn't.  

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

I always considered "Bullitt" to be a great 8-minute car chase, surrounded by 1 hour and 46 minutes of a totally baffling movie.  Even some of the cast and crew were confused by the plot and never understood it.  I found this on a board discussing the movie:

"Robert Vaughn read the script and said it didn't make any sense. He declined the part. They kept offering him more money. He said the more money they offered him, the more sense the plot made."

That's funny!! Couldn't agree more with your assessment of the movie. Not sure how many HIPAA violations that hospital commits?! Much like the aforementioned hubcaps, probably too many to count!

Edited by Watertown

I was pretty hooked when I saw the witness unlock the door to the room only to be shot by the hitmen. I felt I was in the dark and figuring out the reason the same time as he investigates the whole thing. When Johnny go's to pick up the letter that never arrived I think it's because the clerk would have been looking at a letter with Renick on it not Ross. So there was in-fact a letter for him, just wrong name, or the mob might have picked them up before Johnny got there revealing where the hideout was. He makes a phone call which should have instructions on the letter, but he never got it, so only half the message was said over the phone. It's a crossed wires scenario. That's just a guess on my part. Still, I really enjoyed the movie, I didn't move my seat.

Edited by doorsovdoon

41 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

But did you enjoy Robert Duvall's bit part? And did you spot the Rat Patrol guy? The Black Sheep Squadron General? Mr. Roper? B):lol:

oh yes, that's Robert Duvall! I didn't notice at first. I don't know the other names or the shows, I don't think they were ever broadcast here. I did recognise Simon Oakland though, I remember him from Night Stalker putting up with Kolchaks nightly antics, Lol. I loved that show as a kid, it was on every Friday night in the UK around the late 80's early 90's.

11 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I did recognise Simon Oakland though, I remember him from Night Stalker putting up with Kolchaks nightly antics, Lol.

He's the Black Sheep Squadron General I spoke of. B)

You didn't have Three's Company? That is so very sad. Every young man needs some Suzanne Somers bouncing around on his TV every once in a while. B)

• Like 1

Reminder that when you go to Ollie's looking for model kits...the store currently has the book "Steve McQueen: The Life" for $3.99.  Original price $30.00.  Hardback, lots of info about McQueen, all his movies, his cars and the cool stuff that made him a movie icon:  the sunglasses, clothes etc.  Stuff goes in and out of Ollie's quickly, so you better hurry.

If you want a HUGE book about the making of the movie "LeMans" and the stories behind it, get "A French Kiss With Death" by Michael Keyser and Jonathan Williams.  McQueen was riding high after "Bullitt" in every sense of "high."  "LeMans" brought him crashing back down.

https://www.amazon.com/French-Kiss-Death-Michael-Keyser/dp/0837602343

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

He's the Black Sheep Squadron General I spoke of. B)

You didn't have Three's Company? That is so very sad. Every young man needs some Suzanne Somers bouncing around on his TV every once in a while. B)

I remember Three's Company. We had the British version called "Man About the House" with Sally Thomsett and Paula Wilcox, Paula was my favourite! There was a lot of American and Australian programmes on British TV then, Prisoner Cell Block H, Tour of Duty, Crime Story, and even America's Top 10 with Casey Kasem. We only had four channels back then but there seemed to be always something worth watching.

• Like 1

Just cleaning up some mould lines and test fitting a few parts today. I painted up the wheels I have, and both are pretty much exactly the same. The resin wheels are a bit skinny but have slightly better detail, and the ones from my spares tin have a thicker rim bead and fatter tyres, they're ever so slightly bigger too, so I'm kind of torn between the both.

DSC00685.JPG

DSC00680.JPG

DSC00694.JPG

DSC00701.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

Well this sucks. My '68 Charger turned up in the post today and before he even handed it to me I knew straight away from seeing the damage to the box that it was over! The thing was crushed flat, like someone drove over it and then jumped on it to make sure that whatever was inside was dead! The box was very strong and the seller even lined it with some extra cardboard, yet someone, somehow still managed to find a way to destroy it. I can believe it though as I've worked with people in my time who are just an absolute walking disaster! You know the type, the ones that make you question how the f88k they're still alive! I've had a refund from the seller, he said not to bother sending it back. Two people are having a bad day now because someone didn't give a tosh! At least I have a ton of Charger spares now I guess.... got to find a positive side in this I suppose.😠

DSC00715.JPG

DSC00717.JPG

DSC00718.JPG

1 hour ago, chris chabre said:

Im constantly fighting with the PO here in Connecticut...People just suck now a days. If I had one, Id send you one

I don't know what it is, they just seem to be getting worse all the time.  It's all good my friend, thanks for the offer but another one is on it's way:) It should survive this time as it's from a seller I've bought from before and haven't had a problem yet. The one that died was a bid I put in and won, it was only £2 cheaper so didn't exactly lose out on a bargain.