Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bullitt" '68 Charger and Mustang. Double Build!

doorsovdoon

Never seen a kit body that badly destroyed before. Take an imprint of the tire tracks on the shipping box and match them up with the tires on the shippers trucks to see which one ran over this.  Glad you were able to get a replacement kit. Looking forward to your builds here. 

4 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Well this sucks. My '68 Charger turned up in the post today and before he even handed it to me I knew straight away from seeing the damage to the box that it was over! The thing was crushed flat, like someone drove over it and then jumped on it to make sure that whatever was inside was dead! The box was very strong and the seller even lined it with some extra cardboard, yet someone, somehow still managed to find a way to destroy it. I can believe it though as I've worked with people in my time who are just an absolute walking disaster! You know the type, the ones that make you question how the f88k they're still alive! I've had a refund from the seller, he said not to bother sending it back. Two people are having a bad day now because someone didn't give a tosh! At least I have a ton of Charger spares now I guess.... got to find a positive side in this I suppose.😠

DSC00715.JPG

DSC00717.JPG

DSC00718.JPG

Who delivered your package, Ace Ventura? 

• Haha 2

Flying along with the Mustang now. I got the interior done and most of the engine completed. I picked up some Highland Green but turns out the British version of Highland Green is completely different to the American Highland Green! I tried Pacific Green and British Racing Green and as you can see in the pictures neither are anywhere near what the movie car looks like, they are way too dark. I'm a bit stuck on this build now. It seems to be a very specific shade of green that's not easy to come by over here. I'll make a start on the Charger, and hopefully in the meantime I'll find the right colour for the Mustang.

DSC00730.JPG

DSC00731.JPG

DSC00736.JPG

DSC00737.JPG

DSC00738.JPG

The Charger is coming along nicely now. I've done the vinyl roof and is now ready for body paint. Chassis is basically done and the interior is in progress, and the Mustang is nearly finished. I was held up on paint for a while because the Highland green over here is not the Highland green used in the States, it's completely different, so I used an aerosol called Apollo Green which looks close enough. 

DSC00751.JPG

DSC00753.JPG

DSC00755.JPG

DSC00758.JPG

DSC00759.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

The Mustang is a rolling chassis now, and I got the paint done on the Charger and making a start on the interior. I did a sneaky test fit of the Mustang body, and man, it looks really good! Can't wait to show you all some pics of it when it's completed! I ended up using the wheels that come with the Mustang kit as they are identical to the ones I had in my spares tin and these obviously fit the axles better. Before I bought the kit I bought a few parts to specifically make a "Bullitt" Mustang, but this kit has everything needed to build one already. I found it odd that the Mustang kit has the old axle through engine design, It's fine on this though as the suspension arms hide it. I thought axle through engine was a 60's thing, but this kit looks fairly new.

DSC00762.JPG

DSC00763.JPG

DSC00770.JPG

DSC00771.JPG

Chaos at the workbench, Lol. There's hardly any room and I'm sometimes getting parts mixed up between the two but I'm nearly there. The the paint on the bodies are basically cured ready for a flat and polish so it's just detailing left to do now. Much thanks to Can-Con for the Dodge Dart wheel trims, that'll give me a rolling chassis by the end of the day, thanks mate. 

DSC00772.JPG

DSC00779.JPG

DSC00781.JPG

DSC00782.JPG

You can just tell how good these are both going to be.  They will be models that you never have to explain to random visitors what they are about! 

The vinyl roof on your Charger is one of the most scale sensitive renditions I've ever seen.  Nice job!

Cheers

Alan

The wheel covers look to fit the tires quite well Gareth. I'm glad you could use them. 

They actually come from a kit I kind of "inherited" from my brother in law who passed a year ago this weekend. 

He was a Mopar man and I know he'd approve of someone getting use of the parts. 👍

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The wheel covers look to fit the tires quite well Gareth. I'm glad you could use them. 

They actually come from a kit I kind of "inherited" from my brother in law who passed a year ago this weekend. 

He was a Mopar man and I know he'd approve of someone getting use of the parts. 👍

Thanks, Steve. The tyres are a tight fit but not too tight where it stretches the tyre, they fit pretty well. I had to sand the backplates on the front wheels a little as they stuck out but that's about the only mod I had to do.  Sorry about your brother  in law mate. Seeing as these aren't just any old wheels then I won't permanently glue them solid, I'll keep them rolling and I'll beef up the steering for the fronts so they can turn without snapping off. 

17 hours ago, slusher said:

Your making great progress on your builds. Great work Gareth..

Thanks mate:)

15 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Both builds are looking great.

Cheers Captain, not far to go now.

12 hours ago, alan barton said:

You can just tell how good these are both going to be.  They will be models that you never have to explain to random visitors what they are about! 

The vinyl roof on your Charger is one of the most scale sensitive renditions I've ever seen.  Nice job!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan, very kind words mate. 

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I can totally hear this instrumental movement as I'm watching your excellent builds come together !

Shifting Gears  by Lalo Schifirin

(46) Shifting Gears - YouTube

Funny you say that. Every time I sit at the table to work on these, that dang jazz tune from the opening credits plays in my head! Lol

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Excellent work on both of these Gareth, beautiful detailing.

I always enjoy following the progress of your builds, thanks for taking the time to share them.

David G.

Thanks David.

The chrome tree comes with tiny R/T badges, so instead of chancing a mess with paint I decided to use them on the grill and rear light panel. I wasn't sure if they would look a little chunky, but they actually look ok. Dashboard complete and interior detailed, just the steering wheel left to fit. The K member is ready to install and I tried to recreate the factory paint on the lower control arms. I've some tidying up to do where the paint bled, fit some pins to the swivel arms and I can call this a rolling chassis.

DSC00789.JPG

DSC00790.JPG

DSC00792.JPG

DSC00793.JPG

On 8/7/2021 at 6:00 PM, ewetwo said:

Wow. They really did destroy that box. How awful of someone to do that. 

I reckon something fell on it or something heavy was resting on top of it. The picture of the Revell box is from the ebay seller I bought it from, so it was definitely the couriers fault, it was fine before he sent it.

Edited by doorsovdoon