Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Nova wagon (Conversion to a Ute)

1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Yowza!!!! I'm REALLY liking this one. I like to see surgery and this one has the surgeons skill level to 11! Now you guys (you and ADL) have got me thinking of building one of these little wagons. I have an idea for one...hmmm...I actually have a really old original (?) issue that's kinda clapped out, so I'll get a new one.... -RRR

Couldn’t agree more, Luke is doing some very nice surgery here. Super clean  

Seeing triple R tackle one of these will be fun, I will watch for your whip too sir!

Luke, ALL the cool kids go RHD! 

Alright, maybe I'm the only one but it is very straight forward and easily accomplished with the skills you have demonstrated so far.

Try to avoid at all costs cutting up the top of the dash.  Instead, use your scribing tool to cut the instrument panel area from the dash, below the crash pad area. You may also find on some models (I don't have one of these dashboards) that the steering column hole may be offset as well.  Then take some careful measurements on the ride hand side of the dash and cut a matching hole to receive the instruments. You have plenty of plastic to work with for this operation.

Chances are, however, that the glovebox area that you removed from the right to fit to the left will be 1-2mm undersized no matter how careful you have been.  Fortunately the glovebox area often has less detail than the instrument panel so you can either fabricate an entirely new glovebox door or add thin strips of plastic to either edge of the existing door until it is a snug fit in the hole left after removing the instruments. 

Sometimes you will find that because of some previously unseen tapers on the dash, reversing sides will result in a slight sawtooth effect but thin strips of plastic and some putty will usually take care of this.

Mate, you will get this done in a night, trust me!  It will be the finishing touch to your conversion.

Cheers

Alan

P.S.  Have you thought of trying an HD/HR Holden ute style B pillar for your Nova?  I love that you correctly used a four door front door length but I reckon the B pillar might benefit from a bit of toughening up.

Luke,

While you weren't looking, several have jumped onboard with you little Ute!  Guys that cut plastic for fun are sometimes more creative than an artist with a brush!!  Takes guts to whittle away at something so inert.  Old as it seems, when you plan your work... and you work your plan... success is just a step away!  -KK

AWESOME.jpg.40b9a69d8ba5dceb6d2bae4e7bad7d22.jpg

On 8/1/2021 at 8:31 PM, espo said:

Very clean OEM looking bed. 

Trying to make it look some what factory built, but allow myself a bit of artistic license being a custom. Would do my head in going for dead nuts accurate LOL!

On 8/3/2021 at 12:12 AM, Steve H said:

Well…. You made that look easy didn’t you. Bed looks great. I’m going to have a look for one of those tools, I’m pretty sure I need one of those! 

Not the first time ive done a scratch built a bed, had a little practice with past builds which helps a lot.

Very versatile tool worth investing in set.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:06 AM, FLHCAHZ said:

Amazing.  Really clean work!

Thank you, hope its looks the part when I get it finished

On 8/3/2021 at 3:03 PM, Misha said:

18D3C9AE-B2DD-45A6-B9BC-80E795B3DFAA.jpeg.270e90319c9f10569c8759d72370037d.jpeg

Yeah thats the one Misha, I purchased the black set. Popular tool so have to shop around to find set in stock.

On 8/3/2021 at 10:23 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Yowza!!!! I'm REALLY liking this one. I like to see surgery and this one has the surgeons skill level to 11! Now you guys (you and ADL) have got me thinking of building one of these little wagons. I have an idea for one...hmmm...I actually have a really old original (?) issue that's kinda clapped out, so I'll get a new one.... -RRR

Thanks, as long as I can keep motivated, not over think and keep it simple within my skill set I might get it completed.

Its a great kit, so many ways it can be built.

Look forward to seeing how you go about your build.   

On 8/4/2021 at 12:35 AM, crazyjim said:

Good looking work happening here.

Thanks Jim slowly getting there.

22 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

This is going to be one fantastic looking UTE.

Thanks, hoping I can make the idea a reality.

19 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I just ordered one and found a '66 Nova chassis and suspension parts to see if I can mate them together.... -RRR

Sounds like a plan, interested to see how compatible the two kits are and if any major surgery is needed to kit bash them together.

3 hours ago, alan barton said:

Luke, ALL the cool kids go RHD! 

Alright, maybe I'm the only one but it is very straight forward and easily accomplished with the skills you have demonstrated so far.

Try to avoid at all costs cutting up the top of the dash.  Instead, use your scribing tool to cut the instrument panel area from the dash, below the crash pad area. You may also find on some models (I don't have one of these dashboards) that the steering column hole may be offset as well.  Then take some careful measurements on the ride hand side of the dash and cut a matching hole to receive the instruments. You have plenty of plastic to work with for this operation.

Chances are, however, that the glovebox area that you removed from the right to fit to the left will be 1-2mm undersized no matter how careful you have been.  Fortunately the glovebox area often has less detail than the instrument panel so you can either fabricate an entirely new glovebox door or add thin strips of plastic to either edge of the existing door until it is a snug fit in the hole left after removing the instruments. 

Sometimes you will find that because of some previously unseen tapers on the dash, reversing sides will result in a slight sawtooth effect but thin strips of plastic and some putty will usually take care of this.

Mate, you will get this done in a night, trust me!  It will be the finishing touch to your conversion.

Cheers

Alan

P.S.  Have you thought of trying an HD/HR Holden ute style B pillar for your Nova?  I love that you correctly used a four door front door length but I reckon the B pillar might benefit from a bit of toughening up.

Thank you Alan for the detailed explanation on how to do a rhd conversion. Kinda had an idea for a custom dash, but now you have provided a process which will keep it some what stock looking that sounds achievable might give it a go and if I mess up il go back to the custom idea.

Still havent 100% figured out what the plan is for the B- pillar, Interesting idea with HD/HR though.  

49 minutes ago, Kit Karson said:

Luke,

While you weren't looking, several have jumped onboard with you little Ute!  Guys that cut plastic for fun are sometimes more creative than an artist with a brush!!  Takes guts to whittle away at something so inert.  Old as it seems, when you plan your work... and you work your plan... success is just a step away!  -KK

AWESOME.jpg.40b9a69d8ba5dceb6d2bae4e7bad7d22.jpg

Its encouraging and motivating to have so many interested in the build and im very thankful for that.

It just one of those idea's where you want to have a go and see if it works. Fingers crossed it goes to plan, one step at time. 

32 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Amazing work.

Tell us more about the scribing tools and tape that you're using ... 

Purpose made scriber blades that cut super clean and precise with very little effort. The different widths can be useful for different tasks. The 0.2 are good for deepen door lines, 5 or 6 passes is all that is needed. As shown getting into corners and tight spaces much easier with a scriber.

0.1 is around the thickness of photo etch saw blades, but the scriber is more sturdy and wont flex.

The tape adheres very well, but easily to remove and leaves no residue behind. Has a hard edge which is perfect for running the scribe along to get a straight clean line, do a couple light first passes. Can leave the tape or remove, then do more passes to deepen the line. The roof was scribed clean through in about 15 passes.

Hope that helps.   

Edited by Cool Hand

I would approach the dash a bit differently. As Alan said, the good part is the top cover is symmetrical so no need to cut it.

I wouldn’t cut the dash though. I’m away from home so I don’t have a kit dash in front of me, but I just looked at a real one on the Internet.

I would just sand the detail on either side of the radio flat, abandoning that detail.  

750A0F9F-68D9-4F38-93C8-26300F733FF5.png.d2675a1ef842a31192fce34d78d6c6df.png

Here’s a real one from eBay Motors. Scale this photo to the correct size on your computer.. do that against the gauge set on the dash before you sand it off.  

Print multiple copies of this image. I like to do so on 60lb bond for a little rigidity. Judge if this is thick enough to sit on the dash, or cut a small piece of plastic sheet of an appropriate thickness.

Use Alan’s instructions on the new glovebox side. Either scribe the detail, or add thin plastic sheet as the new glovebox door.  He’s also used pin heads for the dash knobs. Drill appropriate holes where needed, insert pins once dash is painted and glue from behind. 

That’s how I’d do it!

Tried to add a bit more detail to the bed so is wasnt flat and smooth.

Used some .010 sheet on the sides and strips shown below for the floor, front panel and tailgate.

r0NMHGg.jpg

Roughed in for now, next the finishing work before its all glued in and together and shot with some 1500 surfacer.

Thats black CA glue in the rear door line used for filler, it helps with seeing the body work. 

FJEjmha.jpg

hKbqkxk.jpg

JnLDE0F.jpg

Not much done, just a quick coat of surfacer to see if any further tidy up work is needed.

aQEzjqQ.jpg

Jc0yH17.jpg

e1hNnv5.jpg

Found a old spare parts engine I got from a mate many years ago. Thinking it could be freshened up and used in this build.

qqXQrfi.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 12:31 PM, Sandboarder said:

Wow!!

Your fabrication work on the tub and tub liner are amazing!! 

Lots of helpful hints and great information in this threat but I’m just enjoying seeing the pictures 😁

Cheers mate,  was very challenging doing the tub detail.

So many cool tools out there for modelling nowadays.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:30 PM, Mad Slammer said:

Liking this one so far… Might even give them a a try myself

Nice work 

Thanks, the scribers are very good and worth the money.

On 8/10/2021 at 10:09 AM, chris chabre said:

KILLER work! do you plan on adding to the B pillar? Thats the only thing I would change. I love the wheels as well

Thank you, see the latest update. Yeah the wheels are cool, I really like centreline style wheels

On 8/22/2021 at 1:17 PM, bill-e-boy said:

Cool work

What would look real cool would be swages on the rear wheel tubs mimicking the bed swage lines - just a thought as it looks like you have the skills to do it

Thanks,

C'mon Bill dont go creating more work for me. LOL! The sides were way challenging. I did think about doing the tops of the wheel tubs but decided to keep them smooth.

12 hours ago, Outlaw_Pitbull_0411 said:

That's dope!

Thanks. More work than I first thought, but its getting there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 11:44 AM, slusher said:

Nice seats..

Yeah was a lucky choice as they are a good fit for the interior.

12 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Excellent work so far Luke. That’s the kind of slicing and dicing I can appreciate!👍

Thanks Greg, can be fun to slice and dice but has its challenges to piece it back together cleanly.