Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Nova wagon (Conversion to a Ute)

Waiting on some styrene strip to arrive so I can re-do the drip rail and add some new trim.

But in the meantime have done a small amount of body work to fill the rear door lines. Want to keep the side trim so it has been a bit tedious. Door lines have nearly disappeared, but need to work on the trim a bit more. Put a coat of primer on to check and help see were things are at.

Roof has a couple spots to sort out, but its pretty good for the first go around.

kvVOev6.jpg

Have only used a file and 600 grit so far. Still a few scratch's visible.

g1uKFxz.jpg

jw0Cgz6.jpg

MviS8dQ.jpg

Used this primer as it wont bury detail, can easily be sanded and cleaned of with hobby grade lacquer thinner.

NxVUY3t.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 1

Your proportions are looking great Luke. It has a very factory look to it and the stance is very contemporary.  Are you going to go for a factory style colour scheme?.

If I could make one suggestion to improve the details - currently, your B pillar seems to start a mm or so behind the door jam.  As utes use sedan doors, the B pillar usually appears to be slightly forward of the trailing door edge.  If you added about a 2-3mm strip onto the front edge of your B pillar, it would look more convincing as well as adding a window frame to the back of the door. The trick would be to add the strip WITHOUT filling in the join - this would create the door seam at the same time.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Al and Allan.

13 hours ago, alan barton said:

If I could make one suggestion to improve the details - currently, your B pillar seems to start a mm or so behind the door jam.  As utes use sedan doors, the B pillar usually appears to be slightly forward of the trailing door edge.  If you added about a 2-3mm strip onto the front edge of your B pillar, it would look more convincing as well as adding a window frame to the back of the door. The trick would be to add the strip WITHOUT filling in the join - this would create the door seam at the same time.

Appreciate the suggestion as that exact thing has been bugging me and plan to add some strip to sort it out, want to get the body work sides done then move on to finishing the roof and pillars.

Who knows when that will be, as I just have zero interest or motivation to build at the moment ☹️

All good Luke, I am a modelling machine at the moment but there have definitely been times when I haven't been able to drag myself out of the comfy chair in the lounge and into the model room. And bad days painting can exaggerate that situation!  Hope you work through it soon - that is way too neat a model to be stalled!

Cheers

Alan

On 9/12/2021 at 9:13 PM, Cool Hand said:

Thanks Al and Allan.

Appreciate the suggestion as that exact thing has been bugging me and plan to add some strip to sort it out, want to get the body work sides done then move on to finishing the roof and pillars.

Who knows when that will be, as I just have zero interest or motivation to build at the moment ☹️

Hi Luke, I haven’t been that motivated lately either. Partly summer weather, partly because the Impala wagon has been fighting with me…. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are just about to enter prime building weather, so I’m hoping my motivation comes back. Really like this build, so hope your motivation comes back too mate. 
Cheers, Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...