Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Chevelle SS

Safire6

I built this for a good friend that had a 1:1 back in the day. Originally the car was  artesian turquoise but he painted it marina blue. I used Testors custom blue metal flake on it. I made multiple mistakes on this build. The worst being that I glued the rear view mirror to low on the windshield. So when I mated the body with the chassis, the mirror hit the dash before I got the front end to sit low enough so I had to snap the mirror off at the base to get the front end down. So now it looks like there is a radar detector mounted on the inside windshield. Yeah that's it, a radar detector! :) Next mistake is that I clear coated the body after I applied the Molotow which caused the paint to bleed into the Molotow and vice versa. I should have known better. I still need to attach the rear window trim and the chrome bits to the hood. When that is done I'll post some pics completely done, probably next Thursday. The decals that came with this kit (20+ years old I think) were brittle and fell apart very easily. I got most of the original decals applied to the interior without tool much damage. Tom Billings (tbill) donated newer decals which I used without any problems on the exterior. Thanks again Tom! The wheels and tires came from the AMT '61 Chevy Impala SS kit.

The first few pics are obviously the 1:1 car. Comments welcome!

image005.jpg.1a551254824724e26484750c6cbeef21.jpg

1062003386_66SS2.thumb.jpg.043d6c8463a8671350a1ab5cb74a6bc8.jpg

IMG_6305.thumb.jpg.5c5193cfa0f7cd0d6629d53c4407cfe7.jpg

IMG_6306.thumb.jpg.492e6843eba13d82e6ae670eabe0cc1a.jpg

IMG_6306.thumb.jpg.492e6843eba13d82e6ae670eabe0cc1a.jpgIMG_6892.thumb.jpg.02a0ffdfba285a90c124d620dae00fce.jpg

IMG_6890.thumb.jpg.8c1118ebcc07e8e264e16af17ee7a6fe.jpg

IMG_6897.thumb.jpg.d52485e508f41093adaa2adc1a187c2e.jpg

IMG_6903.thumb.jpg.714982e65dbc57956a159c079abc22a0.jpgIMG_6910.thumb.jpg.ece69f3e42e05ef36e02d6fedf0d04a5.jpg

• Like 3

Right on brutha!! That's a great job on that replication.

One of the things that I like most about this site is most everyone's willingness to chip in and help out. I built a 59 El Camino for one of my friends son a few years back and people came out of the wood work to chip in and help out. Awesome!! 

Btw....tbill (Tom Billings) is definitely one of the coolest dudes around here. 

Edited by mustang1989

Great looking Chevelle. The paint finish looks good and the trim is all really clean looking. I notice the shifter in one of the pictures of your friends car. Most of the Chevelles I remember that had bucket seats also had the console and in the picture his doesn't look to have one. I know that they would build these just about anyway that you would order them at that time but unusual all the same. Your friend should love getting this.   

Very nice job Steve on a car that’s close to my heart. I learned to drive in my mom’s nearly new Artesian Turquoise ‘66 Malibu. Her’s had a 283 which was a good thing for me and those around me at the time, can you imagine a 16 yr old learning to drive in a 396?

I love the colors and the look of Torque Trust wheels on this car and am amazed that you  painted the bright work freehand using Molotow pens. You must not be a coffee drinker!

On 7/27/2021 at 2:04 PM, papajohn97 said:

Very nice job Steve on a car that’s close to my heart. I learned to drive in my mom’s nearly new Artesian Turquoise ‘66 Malibu. Her’s had a 283 which was a good thing for me and those around me at the time, can you imagine a 16 yr old learning to drive in a 396?

I love the colors and the look of Torque Trust wheels on this car and am amazed that you  painted the bright work freehand using Molotow pens. You must not be a coffee drinker!

Thanks for the comments! I actually decanted the Molotow and used brushes to apply it. I don't drink coffee but I do drink a couple Pepsi's each day!

On 7/26/2021 at 10:51 PM, TransAmMike said:

Looks very good Steve. My first new 1:1 car was also a '66 SS Chevelle (Black/Black).     Great memories.  There is one thing tho I see as odd about the real car pics is the 2 tone seats.

I saw some beautiful pics of a black/black 66 on Bring A Trailer that I used as a reference when I built this one. My friend said the factory called the interior colors on his car Sandalwood and Fawn Beige.