Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alfa Romeo 2000 GTAm (Gunze Sangyo 1/24)

This is a 1990 build of Gunze's GTAm which is at best mediocre: the proportions are wrong (roof to low and arched too much - the wheels are too big and therefore the stance is too high. The plastic is very hard and brittle, the interior is soft vinyl and the details are crude (wipers, hood fasteners). Anyway, I painted it in a typical livery of the time, fabricated some quick tank cap in the trunk with the usual decals from the spare box. It should have the small rear lights of the earlier models, but I left them as they were. A Very (!) simple roll-bar was also installed. This represents no particular car.

The first photo shows an original car for comparison (from the Scuderia del portello website):

404781.jpg.20711bd63d1ee05a0b32d397b32cd928.jpg

P1010239.JPG.5c4cfe8876540e7223281a15ed40e08a.JPG

P1000071.JPG.ec0db3faa8024320a6729fb507c68e9b.JPG

P1000070.JPG.a3f0c5b92df298fec2e808b4950f1b5e.JPG

P1010865.JPG.12baf5d7e38c4b450633bc17794c5c01.JPG

P1010866.JPG.cec3bbc950788c5d6dd8a998c5e494f7.JPG

P1010867.JPG.8c739d475620fe1df8167672fc840cff.JPG

P1010868.JPG.a96aeb4b495fe1a358ef3e7c74fa4483.JPG

Here are two more with its civilian brothers:

P1010240.JPG.b685a386e30d4cd415a58fbed9e165dc.JPG

P1080281.JPG.249aca25488d5661de1275066c269c92.JPG

On 7/25/2021 at 9:09 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Helmut..after looking at the pictures of the real car I would have to agree that the wheels on the model are too big.  Still, its a good looking model and the added details make it a real recercar. 

Thank you, Rich -  I like Alfas, but there are only a few kits available.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:51 AM, slusher said:

Looks great!

Thanks, Carl !

On 7/26/2021 at 5:46 AM, Dave B said:

Nice build Helmut, I actually pinched the wheels off mine for a Tipo 33 Periscopia that I have almost finished and retro fitted Minilites to the GTAm.

Dave B

Thank you, Dave - minilites would have also been an option if built today (they were used in TransAm and sometimes in historic motorsports).

22 hours ago, Dodge Driver said:

Nicely done! I have that kit and know what you started with. 

You made it into a cool little racing car. 

Thank you, Frank !

4 hours ago, Bainford said:

Thanks for your comments on the Gunze kit. I've nearly bought one on several occasions, but I can see what you're are saying. Nonetheless, you've done a good job of it. The Alfa has a great period look. Nicely done.

Thanks, Trevor - the period look is what I was trying to achieve.

5 hours ago, Bainford said:

Thanks for your comments on the Gunze kit. I've nearly bought one on several occasions, but I can see what you're are saying. Nonetheless, you've done a good job of it. The Alfa has a great period look. Nicely done.

If you want to build a perfect old Alfa Romeo touring car you should look for a Tamiya GTA together with the excellent transkit from Scale production - I have this in my stash waiting to be built, here is the link: https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p1685_transkit-alfaromeo-gtaj.html

18 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

If you want to build a perfect old Alfa Romeo touring car you should look for a Tamiya GTA together with the excellent transkit from Scale production - I have this in my stash waiting to be built, here is the link: https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p1685_transkit-alfaromeo-gtaj.html

Cheers, Helmut. That looks like a great kit.

Looks like you whipped it into fine shape! You have a great looking model there, in spite of the wheels. If you hadn't posted a picture of the real thing, I'll bet many would never have noticed! Now I can't un-see it; it almost looks like 1/25 wheels and tires on a 1/43 model. Another call out to the 3D printers in our midst!

I've never been impressed with Gunze kits in general, but when it's a subject you like, things can be overlooked.  The wheels have 14 holes, the real car 12, how could Gunze be so far off?  You did a fine job on it, and the best part IT'S BUILT!

I've got a couple of these kits in my stash and I agree on the "big wheel" issue. But there's nothing wrong with your build Helmut, excellent work as always!!

I love the white "step front" Sprint GT as well!!

On 7/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, ChrisR said:

Very nice!!

Thanks, Chris !

18 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Looks like you whipped it into fine shape! You have a great looking model there, in spite of the wheels. If you hadn't posted a picture of the real thing, I'll bet many would never have noticed! Now I can't un-see it; it almost looks like 1/25 wheels and tires on a 1/43 model. Another call out to the 3D printers in our midst!

Thank you, Rusty - it can be hard to be an Alfa Romeo fan (and modelbuilder) looking for affordable kits that are good representations of the original - proportionwise Tamiya's Giulia Sprint GTA is by far the best. This is why I have gathered 75 diecast models in 1/24 over the last 10 years, many of them will be modified to create different versions/racers.

15 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I've never been impressed with Gunze kits in general, but when it's a subject you like, things can be overlooked.  The wheels have 14 holes, the real car 12, how could Gunze be so far off?  You did a fine job on it, and the best part IT'S BUILT!

Thank you, Kurt - I must admit that I didn't notice the number of the holes in the campagnolo wheels.

5 hours ago, ATHU said:

I've got a couple of these kits in my stash and I agree on the "big wheel" issue. But there's nothing wrong with your build Helmut, excellent work as always!!

I love the white "step front" Sprint GT as well!!

Thank you, Anders - the white one is Gunze's low-tech Alfa Romeo GTA 1300 junior.