Model Cars Magazine Forum

Multi-piece Funnycar chassis build up

Make sure each individual piece is perfectly straight before assembly.  Don't count on the assembly process to help straighten anything.  Check for straightness before adding parts to the assembly so far.

Just check the assembly for correct positioning of each part, and overall straightness, each time a part is added.  That shouldn't be tough, as the kit manufacturers often put unusually shaped tabs and slots on unique parts, and those should fit only one way.  Short of building a jig (which can't really be done unless you have a properly assembled chassis to begin with), what else can be done?

You might want to get some sort of solid wood or cork board that you can use just like a chassis jig. You will need to have a way to attach the frame parts and measure to make sure they remain square before gluing the frame together. With a cork board type surface you can use straight pins to hold the parts in place before gluing. You could tape them as well but I think you would want an attachment system so that the parts wouldn't shift around while you're working on them.     

I have built a Revell top fuel dragster, and the section aft of the cockpit was badly twisted after assembly. I was able to solve it by cutting the tubes and added a small shim before regluing. It's not easy to explain, but I considered each frame side as a beam. If the beam needed to be bent down to remove the twist, I would cut the upper tube with a JLZ razor blade saw, and insert a suitable shim. Alternatively, for a small correction, you could cut the lower tube, and see whether the material removed by the cut was sufficient. Using this method I straightened my frame perfectly.

tfd-21.jpg

tfd-20.jpg

Rob