Model Cars Magazine Forum

How can I remove Testors Acryl Paint from my headlight buckets.

First off, get some wooden toothpicks and try to scrape/scratch it off. You'd be surprised at how often and how well this works. 

If that doesn't do it, try 92% rubbing alcohol. Try just daubing and rubbing it first, if that doesn't work, try soaking an hour or so. 

If the buckets have any chrome on them and you're trying to save it, DON'T use ammonia or Windex or anything of that sort. 

A swim in Lake Purple will take EVERYTHING off in most cases. Last resort. I have a feeling ideas #1 or #2 will work for you. 

Try alcohol or lacquer thinner on a craft swab or toothpick like Snake mentioned. Not sure how well the 2K will hold up, but it may be okay.

Once Acryl dries, it is super tough, which is why I use it as barrier coats under lacquer topcoats. Too bad the the brand is gone.

6 minutes ago, sbk said:

Try alcohol or lacquer thinner on a craft swab or toothpick like Snake mentioned. Not sure how well the 2K will hold up, but it may be okay.

Once Acryl dries, it is super tough, which is why I use it as barrier coats under lacquer topcoats. Too bad the the brand is gone.

So you think I can spray Tamiya Lacquer over it? I will mask most of the area. I just don't want any overspray to cause a reaction.

3 minutes ago, Len Woodruff said:

So you think I can spray Tamiya Lacquer over it? I will mask most of the area. I just don't want any overspray to cause a reaction.

So the headlight buckets are painted with Acryl, but you want to use Tamiya on top of it instead of stripping the Acryl? I guess it depends on how many coats of Acryl are on there.

It should be okay, but I don't want you to ruin your model because "Steve said it would work." 🙂

21 minutes ago, sbk said:

So the headlight buckets are painted with Acryl, but you want to use Tamiya on top of it instead of stripping the Acryl? I guess it depends on how many coats of Acryl are on there.

It should be okay, but I don't want you to ruin your model because "Steve said it would work." 🙂

What brand of lacquer have you used over the acrylics? Also what acrylic brand do you use?

The Tamiya and Testor/Model Master lacquers are very mild. I haven't used every color of course but those I have used have yet to react badly with anything. 

And if they by some weird chance happen to, they can be removed easily and quickly with 92% rubbing alcohol. 

8 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

What brand of lacquer have you used over the acrylics? Also what acrylic brand do you use?

HOK, DuPont, LMG, MCW lacquers, as well as nail polishes all thinned with Dupont or HOK lacquer thinner. You mentioned Testor's Acryl in your original post & that is what acrylic paint I'm referring to. I also use Tamiya acrylic, but have never tried shooting lacquer on top of it.

Edited by sbk
  • Thanks 1