Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Magnifying Glasses*

I have a big magnifying glass clamped to a stand on my work bench that I use but a lot of times I can't get a part under the glass or at the right angle.  My reading glasses don't cut the mustard either.  So.....I'm checking into the magnifying glasses that strap to your head with a light.  I tried to search the forum As I'm sure this has been covered but didn't come up with much.  Anyone using a pair of the ones that strap to your head or have something better they are using ?

I used Tamiya's flip up "glasses" until I found a tip on these Carson flip ups.  I like these as much as the Tamiya's except they're much more comfortable because they're not the clamp type but rather a headband type.  The Tamiya's are pretty tight.  The optics on these Carson's are every bit as good too.  I got them on Amazon a few months ago.

71zOUTAHzoL._AC_SL1500sm_.jpg

• Like 1

Ok fellows.  As promised here are my findings on the Carson LumiVisor magnifying headset that I just picked up at Hobby Lobby.  HL had a lot of discounts going on today but not on these.   But, still cheaper ($21.99) than what I found online with FREE shipping.  First off I have all 4' LED lights on the ceiling of my garage but still have problems with detail work.  The headset is fairly light weight and has a very easy and quick strap adjustment in the back.  No need to take it off to adjust it.  I'm not sure what the lenses are made of but they are very clear.  The main lenses is the 2X and that is the same as my desktop magnifying glass so that's what works for me as I can keep a part about 6"-8" away without wearing my prescription glasses.  The other lens are 3X, 5X, and 6X.  There is an inner lens that can swing down and lock into place if needed and if not it's spring loaded to stay up out of the way.  Using any of the other lenses you have to bring your part closer but it's crystal clear.  It take 3 AAA battery's for the adjustable LED light which are not included.  I really like the LED light to shine on the part I'm working on.  I will probably continue using my desktop magnifying glass and use the headset for the detail work.  I would give the Carson LumiVisor headset a 9 out of 10.  Nothing is a 10 in my eyes so that's as good as it get.  If anyone has any questions I'll answer the best I can.            

20210727_094506.jpg

20210727_100737.jpg

20210727_101001.jpg

20210727_094819.jpg

20210727_094842.jpg

20210727_094901.jpg

20210727_094914.jpg

20210727_095125.jpg

20210727_095216.jpg

20210727_095429.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I've struggled to find a magnifier that works for me. I have tried the freestanding ones but after a few minutes my eyes hurt from the warped views they give. Do these magnify the entire area you are looking at or are they the same?

Well....when I hold a part in my hands it magnify's both my hands as well as the part.  Hope that answers your question.       

I've always used flip ups because the tunnel vision with the optivisor style (like the Carson model that Zippi got) really bothers me.  Lots of people love them but I just couldn't get used to them.  The flip ups (Tamiya or the Carson I have) work much better for my eyes as I can see peripherally.  Everyone is different and that's why there are many styles to choose from.

Rich is right.  What works for me may not work for you.  I guess I got lucky that they worked out for me.  I like that I can take my prescription glass off and then I'm able to hold the part further away when doing detail work.  

I use the $4.99 model from Harbor Freight. They don't magnify very much but what they will do is compensate for my loss of close-up focus.

I got rid of the lamps and the loupe. I have to hold the workpiece 4-5" away from the lenses but so what? I can see everything. I bought a couple sets like the type just above and tried them out but still keep going back to the $4.99 set. BTW, the type just above can be ordered direct from China for about $9 postpaid.

You know over there: USA companies contract with them to produce things like the above and in between runs for the customer, they get rid of the printing on the product and run more for their buddies to sell out of their homes on eBay. What's anybody gonna do about it? Nothing. The more developed China Sellers have buddies living in Cali. That cuts out the 1-2 weeks it takes for stuff to come over in small packets on the jetliner. You know they're living 3-4 in a Cali apartment that's so full of product that all there is are paths in between the stacks of boxes.

loopy.jpg.36d0a88c0e1fe3bc4c5572390a11ebf9.jpg

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

I have this one, actually my wife bought it to use for cross-stiching and didn't like it.  I have only used it a couple of times. It seems my hands don't work  so well when looking thru magnification😂.   It looks exactly like the one "yh70" posted but with templets instead of a headband.  Different brand but probably built in the same Chinese factory.

20210727_130623.png.9bb4a53e4f55fbe7810f76219ac61c81.png

Edited by TransAmMike

19 hours ago, yh70 said:

get u a set of these from Amazon. they have 5 different lynes to choose from + has a light...i have a set and like them..https://www.amazon.com/Dicfeos-Headband-Magnifier-Mounted-Magnifying/dp/B075WR4M99/ref=sr_1_22?dchild=1&keywords=Magnifying+Glasses*&qid=1627425645&sr=8-22

61z9Sv+lahL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

x2.  I use the same ones.  They work really well and I like that I can change out the lenses depending on the amount of magnification I want.  The only down side is that the elastic it came with lost its elasticity pretty rapidly.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:46 PM, Zippi said:

I have a big magnifying glass clamped to a stand on my work bench that I use but a lot of times I can't get a part under the glass or at the right angle.  My reading glasses don't cut the mustard either.  So.....I'm checking into the magnifying glasses that strap to your head with a light.  I tried to search the forum As I'm sure this has been covered but didn't come up with much.  Anyone using a pair of the ones that strap to your head or have something better they are using ?

Bob, I use that 4.99 set from Harbor Freight also. Works well for me. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnifier-head-strap-with-lights-38896.html