Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kurtis Sport(s) Car

RancheroSteve

I began this back in 2013 and it became probably the longest and certainly one of the most challenging projects I've undertaken in my modelling life. Thanks for the support of those that followed along and encouraged me over the course of this build. I'm glad I stuck with it - while far from perfect, I feel it captures the look of the car pretty well and I ended up with a replica of a piece of automotive history that's unlikely to ever be available in kit form.

Work in progress thread here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/78039-kurtis-sports-car-update-12717/

Some history of the actual car here: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/1949-kurtis-sport-car-drive/

185 Kurtis LF

203 Kurtis LR

201 Kurtis left

204 Kurtis rear

186 Kurtis hood open

209 Kurtis RR

Thanks for looking - questions and comments welcome.

• Like 1

What a pleasure to see this done. I followed along from the start, captured by the skills and approaches you used to reach your goal. I was always surprised how closely your were able to copy many of the detail parts and proportions necessary to make such a(n) (in)credible replica. Throughout its journey this project was always an inspiration. The result is a beautiful model Bravo!

Wow Steve.. congratulations! This is one hella cool car which I never knew a thing about until I read the article in your link. The car inspired the Corvette if I read it correctly..???- AWESOME!

And then I checked out your WIP and saw how you gradually refined a hunk of resin into this elegant and sleek road car using brass and polystyrene ... years went by and now we’re seeing the results ... A lot of skill and patients went into this one for sure and you're to be commended on your unwavering attention to accuracy and seeing it through until you got it right. What you’ve accomplished is a beautiful rendering of a very rare subject and that’s got to feel pretty good as you look at it and think back to where you started off. Wonderful job!🤠👍

Edited by Venom

Wow! That is true model building and fabulous work by any standard. I'm currently reviving a Studebaker Golden Hawk project that was started in 2011 so I understand the types of challenges that you faced but your build would be much more of a case of starting from scratch. You've set the bar very high. Truly excellent.

Wow! What an amazing build. I don’t know how I missed the build thread, but I’m going to go back and have a good read of it. However, I don’t need to do that to see that this is a stunning replica of a very unusual and interesting subject. Excellent attention to detail, and man, you nailed the look. Outstanding!

Many thanks for the kind words, everyone! I like to think that I build for my own satisfaction and for enjoyment of the process as much as the finished result, but it is gratifying to have my efforts recognized in the forum here among a group of my peers. The builds I'm working on currently are not quite as ambitious, but hopefully they'll be wrapped up sooner than this one was!