Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy Finally Done

TransAmMike

Well my Friends, I'm calling this one finally done.  This was started in April and gave me a lot of problems so was kind of an off and on job. I appreciate the kind comments by all in the WIP thread. My feelings on this one are that it did not come out exactly as I had hoped it would but I'm not the craftsman that a lot of you guys are.

Since I did'nt want to use the kit moulded  single exhaust and rear suspension undercarriage I grafted a '66 Nova Pro Mod rear section with tubbed wheel wheels onto the front section of the kit so I could use the super wide wheels and tires.

Red paint is air brushed Anita's Craft True Red, the black is Anita's Craft Metallic Black (there are actually very fine gold sparkles in it). Clear is rattle can Rusto Automotive Acrylic Lacquer.

I used actual automotive window tint on the quarter windows, but sprayed Tamiya smoke on the rear.

The actual aluminum wheels were provided by forum member " vintagedragcrazy". Thanks so much Vince. The rears are from the '67 Chevelle Pro Mod kit. I got the hood from ebay from Lex's Scale Modelling.

My BMF foil work leaves a whole lot to be desired, and the actual BMF was a batch of the poor adhesive foil and of course gave me fits.

With all that being said, here's some pictures.

20210727_145344.png.a1da526fbd382fc3f94b4d7e7c78f7ae.png

20210727_145330.png.5bdf4b7a6409548eb9d61ec910fdc44a.png

20210721_182923.png.8c5a57880988d8f7d3b8373ba1608964.png

20210727_150535.png.ccb89176b196087d0025bcf90c1c2f5d.png

20210727_142316.png.d246cca55552f700e55e00f623dc82c4.png20210727_142259.png.52e59747ffc72e5d2c6fcc113eb6021b.png

20210727_132657.png.72a1ce0462e96784c7a1866e5996f6fd.png

20210727_132645.png.12b62098aff856c5316d39e3ff5e449f.png

• Like 1

Dig it! I like the red and black, and I'm betting that metallic black looks even better in person. Don't you love how some metallic effects disappear in photos, but invisible dust will look like cotton balls?! Wicked rake really looks like a proper street machine. Well done.

22 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Dig it! I like the red and black, and I'm betting that metallic black looks even better in person. Don't you love how some metallic effects disappear in photos, but invisible dust will look like cotton balls?! Wicked rake really looks like a proper street machine. Well done.

Thanks Rusty. The "rake" is actually more extreme than I was hoping for. The metallic in that paint is so fine tho, it's really hard to see even in person. Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Extremely smooth paint! Great shine on the clear, too. It's a great looking build. TOP SHELF work, here!

Thanks Keith.  I like your statement about going back in the box which is exactly I did with this one.  

BTW, where about in Tennessee are you?I'm 45 miles south of Nashville.

2 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Keith.  I like your statement about going back in the box which is exactly I did with this one.  

BTW, where about in Tennessee are you?I'm 45 miles south of Nashville.

Leoma. About 10 miles south of Lawrenceburg. 81 miles from Music City.

Wow, Mike. Turned out Awesome. I'm especially blown away with the paint job. So smooth , so flawless. Everything else is top shelf  too.  I know you said you had a lot of issues with the build, but looking at the finished product, they are not evident at all. Love the way it sits with the humongous rear tires. A truly special model indeed. Looking forward to your next project.

14 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Well done. Nice effort.

Thanks Bill. 

11 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautiful 55 Chevy Mike!

Thanks Carl. I'm pretty happy with it in spite of all the issues.

4 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Nothing to complain about there!   Really came out great.  Good on you for seeing it through!

Hey there Chaz, but what a struggle it was.

4 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thanks Chris.

4 hours ago, Scalper said:

Nice Work Mike.. Super Clean and nice.  great paint. 

Thanks you Andre.

3 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Really love the whole look to this car Mike!!  I already love Draglites so that was definitely a good move and then you add the paint job that's on this thing. Fantastic build brother.

Really appreciate the compliment Joe, especially from a guy as accomplished as you.  Yes, those Draglites  do look cool on that car.

2 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking Hot Rod. Great looking chassis work. Paint looks nice and smooth and I like the way you did up the interior. 

Thanks David.  The struggles finally worked themselves out. I wasn't too sure about the red and white interior but it does look pretty good.

19 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Wow, Mike. Turned out Awesome. I'm especially blown away with the paint job. So smooth , so flawless. Everything else is top shelf  too.  I know you said you had a lot of issues with the build, but looking at the finished product, they are not evident at all. Love the way it sits with the humongous rear tires. A truly special model indeed. Looking forward to your next project.

Yes there were definately issues and I almost gave up on it but I liked the red/black combo so much I just had to get it done. Keep on keeping on with the Camaro Buddy!!