Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Kenworth K100

I thought that I would post my work so far on truck that I have wanted to build for a long time, a first generation 1964 Kenworth K100. I am using an AMT K123 kit and backdating as much as I can. The cab was an old glue-bomb that was damaged. I stripped the old paint and started working away at it. I made new luggage doors on the side of the cab, filled the "peep" window in the passenger's side door, shaved off the protrusions on the roof, moved the passenger's side vent door towards the back of the cab, added a rear window opening, and made new lower front quarter panels and headlight housings. The rivets were made using a punch and die set with .010" thick styrene sheet.

2v2a165M5xAC2cR.jpg

2v2a16NenxAC2cR.jpg

First coat of primer:

2v2a16NZqxAC2cR.jpg

2v2a16NQFxAC2cR.jpg

I drew up a back-dated grille in 3D cad and had it 3D printed. Then sprayed the first coat of white paint on everything:

2v2a16NoWxAC2cR.jpg

2v2a16NuyxAC2cR.jpg

I also started on the chassis. This was a frame from the parts-box. Up until 1969, the K100 used tapered frame rails to make room for the popular V8 configuration engines of the era. I modified the kit rails to represent this. I also shortened the frame slightly. I cut the kit fuel tanks down shorter and shifted them forward on the frame slightly. I made a step for the driver's side tank out of diamond plate styrene sheet. I added a resin torsion bar suspension and steerable front axle with the front brakes cut off. The battery box was lowered on the frame rails to reflect the 1:1 I am using as a reference.

2v2a16NHrxAC2cR.jpg

2v2a16NaGxAC2cR.jpg

I was not happy with the first paint job that I did, so into the strip it went. The second attempt came out better, but still not perfect. Luckily this truck is going to have some weathering to help hide some of the flaws.

2v2a16N15xAC2cR.jpg

Decals from Firebird designs were applied. The permit decals are from CMT.

2v2a16NbdxAC2cR.jpg

2v2a16NpNxAC2cR.jpg

• Like 1

The chassis was painted. I used individual letter decals from microscale on the fuel tanks, what a task those were to line up. Not perfect, but it will have to do.

2v2a16NAqxAC2cR.jpg

2v2a16NBFxAC2cR.jpg

I drew the spoke hubs in CAD and had them 3D printed. The rims were a set of resin cast rims that I had made a while back. The 1:1 truck I am using as inspiration did not have very aggressive tires, so I am using a set of tires from the AMT Papa Truck kit. I sanded off the "Tyrone Malone" logos with fine sandpaper. Weathering of the chassis has begun.

2v2a16NfnxAC2cR.jpg

2v2a16N6dxAC2cR.jpg

On 8/2/2021 at 11:54 AM, gotnitro? said:

Fantastic work 👏 👍  

Whats the plan for a trailer on this build ? 

Thanks everyone! I have a couple trailer ideas, but I will likely scratch build a mid-50's Great Dane reefer to go with this one.

I have been working on the interior. The dash is scratch built. I drew the gauges and surrounds in Microsoft Word, then laid the decals in either side of a piece of clear plastic so that the gauges would have a small amount of depth to them. The front of the dash is littered with what every driver needs, a road atlas, log book, envelope for receipts, and some hand written directions.

2v2app9wqxAC2cR.jpg

2v2app9fVxAC2cR.jpg

The interior is mostly complete and I had to do a quick mock-up to make sure that everything fit right. I had to modify my cab hinges slightly, as the interior seemed to spread the base of the cab out just enough to mess up the alignment on my hinges. I added R.B.'s signature cowboy hat on the dash as well.

2v2apRBCLxAC2cR.jpg

2v2apR625xAC2cR.jpg

2v2apRBJnxAC2cR.jpg

Engines have always been a weak point for me, but fortunately you can't typically see them on the finished model. Since the radiator will be slightly visible through the grille, I made a set of louvers from .080" half-round rod. The engine is an attempt to make an early 60's 335 Cummins from the kit NTC. I added a 4x4 married transmission out of a Diamond Reo kit, as that is what the real truck had. Getting the "bells" on the exhaust and intake connection to line up with the plumbing mounted to the back of the cab was quite a task.

2v2acCNcNxAC2cR.jpg

2v2acCNBqxAC2cR.jpg