Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

I thought that I would post my work so far on truck that I have wanted to build for a long time, a first generation 1964 Kenworth K100. I am using an AMT K123 kit and backdating as much as I can. The cab was an old glue-bomb that was damaged. I stripped the old paint and started working away at it. I made new luggage doors on the side of the cab, filled the "peep" window in the passenger's side door, shaved off the protrusions on the roof, moved the passenger's side vent door towards the back of the cab, added a rear window opening, and made new lower front quarter panels and headlight housings. The rivets were made using a punch and die set with .010" thick styrene sheet.






First coat of primer:




Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drew up a back-dated grille in 3D cad and had it 3D printed. Then sprayed the first coat of white paint on everything:






I also started on the chassis. This was a frame from the parts-box. Up until 1969, the K100 used tapered frame rails to make room for the popular V8 configuration engines of the era. I modified the kit rails to represent this. I also shortened the frame slightly. I cut the kit fuel tanks down shorter and shifted them forward on the frame slightly. I made a step for the driver's side tank out of diamond plate styrene sheet. I added a resin torsion bar suspension and steerable front axle with the front brakes cut off. The battery box was lowered on the frame rails to reflect the 1:1 I am using as a reference.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was not happy with the first paint job that I did, so into the strip it went. The second attempt came out better, but still not perfect. Luckily this truck is going to have some weathering to help hide some of the flaws.



Decals from Firebird designs were applied. The permit decals are from CMT.





  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The chassis was painted. I used individual letter decals from microscale on the fuel tanks, what a task those were to line up. Not perfect, but it will have to do.





I drew the spoke hubs in CAD and had them 3D printed. The rims were a set of resin cast rims that I had made a while back. The 1:1 truck I am using as inspiration did not have very aggressive tires, so I am using a set of tires from the AMT Papa Truck kit. I sanded off the "Tyrone Malone" logos with fine sandpaper. Weathering of the chassis has begun.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 11:54 AM, gotnitro? said:

Fantastic work 👏 👍  

Whats the plan for a trailer on this build ? 

Thanks everyone! I have a couple trailer ideas, but I will likely scratch build a mid-50's Great Dane reefer to go with this one.


I have been working on the interior. The dash is scratch built. I drew the gauges and surrounds in Microsoft Word, then laid the decals in either side of a piece of clear plastic so that the gauges would have a small amount of depth to them. The front of the dash is littered with what every driver needs, a road atlas, log book, envelope for receipts, and some hand written directions.






Link to comment
Share on other sites

The interior is mostly complete and I had to do a quick mock-up to make sure that everything fit right. I had to modify my cab hinges slightly, as the interior seemed to spread the base of the cab out just enough to mess up the alignment on my hinges. I added R.B.'s signature cowboy hat on the dash as well.







Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally finished all of the little details of the cab. I added some slight weathering and attempted a couple splattered bugs on the front. Next onto the engine.










Link to comment
Share on other sites

Engines have always been a weak point for me, but fortunately you can't typically see them on the finished model. Since the radiator will be slightly visible through the grille, I made a set of louvers from .080" half-round rod. The engine is an attempt to make an early 60's 335 Cummins from the kit NTC. I added a 4x4 married transmission out of a Diamond Reo kit, as that is what the real truck had. Getting the "bells" on the exhaust and intake connection to line up with the plumbing mounted to the back of the cab was quite a task.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...