Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dusty Hill of ZZ Top has passed.

Can-Con

I have tickets for their show this coming April.

Will be interesting to see if they continue.

:(

What the heck is going on this week with musicians?

On Monday, Mike Howe from Metal Church passes. One of my all time favourite vocalists.

On Tuesday, Joey Jordison, drummer for Slipknot passes at 46. Absolute monster talent on the drums.

And now Dusty.

That is sad. Never saw them live but enjoyed their music.

I was in :wub: with a female in one of their old MTV videos. Can't seem to find that video again.

One thing that cracks me up when I think of it, Billy and Dusty both had the beards and the drummers last name was Beard (Frank). There were 3 beards in the band.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

I have tickets for their show this coming April.

Will be interesting to see if they continue.

:(

What the heck is going on this week with musicians?

On Monday, Mike Howe from Metal Church passes. One of my all time favourite vocalists.

On Tuesday, Joey Jordison, drummer for Slipknot passes at 46. Absolute monster talent on the drums.

And now Dusty.

I had heard that Dusty was going to be sitting some of this tour out due to an old hip injury and the band's guitar tech of 2 decades was going to step in in his place, sounds like he may continue to do so now, from what I just read.

Just now, Joe Handley said:

I had heard that Dusty was going to be sitting some of this tour out due to an old hip injury and the band's guitar tech of 2 decades was going to step in in his place, sounds like he may continue to do so now, from what I just read.

Yeah, their long time bass tech played a show last weekend, and the footage I saw sounded really good. Will see. I hope they continue the tour. Would be tough though, having played together for almost 50 years and suddenly losing one of the three.

For those who have Netflix, you need to go watch the ZZ Top documentry, "That Little Old Band From Texas." It is fantastic.

ZZ Top allowed me, for the first time in my life, to get "ahead of" my hip musical friends in my hometown. 

I discovered them in the summer of '72, which I spent in San Antonio for USAF basic and tech training. They got a LOT of airplay on the album-rock radio stations down there, but no one in my town had ever heard of them. I bought their first two albums at Joske's, an old-school department store right across the street from the Alamo (in those days). IMHO their finest work was done on those first two albums. 

IIRC, they went big nationwide in early '73 with the release of Rio Grande Mud.  The big hit from that one was "La Grange," which you can still hear today on Classic Rock stations. 

Later in '73, or maybe '74, I saw them live when they opened for Alice Cooper. I remember they got brought back for three encores (the opening band, as you recall). I believe during the encore Bill Gibbons played a guitar that looked like an old cigar box. 

RIP Dusty. You and your friends brought me many, many hours of LOUD happiness. B)

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

ZZ Top allowed me, for the first time in my life, to get "ahead of" my hip musical friends in my hometown. 

I discovered them in the summer of '72, which I spent in San Antonio for USAF basic and tech training. They got a LOT of airplay on the album-rock radio stations down there, but no one in my town had ever heard of them. I bought their first two albums at Joske's, an old-school department store right across the street from the Alamo (in those days). IMHO their finest work was done on those first two albums. 

IIRC, they went big nationwide in early '73 with the release of Rio Grande Mud.  The big hit from that one was "La Grange," which you can still hear today on Classic Rock stations. 

Later in '73, or maybe '74, I saw them live when they opened for Alice Cooper. I remember they got brought back for three encores (the opening band, as you recall). I believe during the encore Bill Gibbons played a guitar that looked like an old cigar box. 

RIP Dusty. You and your friends brought me many, many hours of LOUD happiness. B)

My brother-in-law was there for basic and tech in 1972. Went in on Sept, 27th 1972 and stayed for 24 years!

I realise that the late Dusty Hill wasn't part of the Moving Sidewalks ( Billy Gibbons and company ) , but this psychedelic sound --exclusive to Texas ; think 13th Floor Elevators --set the tone for ZZ's early sound (really , their career) .

(22) The Moving Sidewalks (pre ZZ Top) ~ ''Joe Blues''(Psychedelic Blues 1968) - YouTube

Favorite ZZTop songs,,,,Cheap Sunglasses,I need You Tonight,Just Got Paid Today,Legs,Jesus Just Left Chicago,& the list goes on.Always wanted to see them live,but never did….RIP Dusty☹️

5D810448-6BA1-4279-A6A6-2C5B6DD4510B.jpeg

CA82EE31-AF22-44C6-83D5-EEF720B8C26D.jpeg

50824B96-26BD-48F8-8FD0-76D97237A593.jpeg

79AE6011-D234-4BC7-8F91-36174159C39E.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD

9 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

My brother-in-law was there for basic and tech in 1972. Went in on Sept, 27th 1972 and stayed for 24 years!

We just missed each other. I think I left on October 6. He dodged a hellish hot, humid summer! B)

10 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I was always wondering where the ZZTop 33 Ford was.It’s sitting in the rock and roll hall of fame .

Pretty sure there are at least two of them, one steel and the other(s) fiberglass.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my oldest child to see them in concert probably close to 15 years ago, it was his first concert. I remember Billy mentioning to the crowd "For 35 years it's been the same three guys and the same three chords" !  It was great show and they opened for Brooks and Dunn. The encore was Tube Steak Boogie with B&D joining ZZ Top for it. The documentary ran the other night and it highlighted how they started and the early years of the band. Did not realize Frank had a bad drug problem but glad to know he cleaned up. Their story telling of discovering MTV 40 years ago was hilarious!