Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Eunos Roadster (Mazda MX-5/Miata)

Spottedlaurel

This is hopefully a quick in-and-out-in-two-weeks holiday build - let's see if that happens.......

I did something similar last year (on a Monogram Datsun 280Z), it didn't quite work out but I made life difficult then by painting the panels in different colours so there was a lot masking and drying time to consider. This time I've chosen something simple which will be a single colour and that has minimal trim and detailing to deal with.

IMG_7051.JPG.cac8c3a7d1d417a537a7bdd9a21c9219.JPG

No engine, the suspension will get minimal detailing and being a convertible there's not much to do on the windows or surrounds.

IMG_7055.JPG.ec00a39fc410e2031197cfa0042ccb7e.JPG

The plan is to get it sitting low on a set of wheels with stretched tyres, but otherwise straight paintwork. I tried these SSR Mk1s as they were assembled, but I wasn't sure.

IMG_7059.JPG.8e423cd36a123bb1d07b5528b5813bd7.JPG

So I'm going for these Racing Harts instead. I've swapped the tyres from another accessory set, which had a touch more sidewall depth and looked better to me.

IMG_7060.JPG.582019cd74ba61cf39b041a44c0b6e15.JPG

IMG_7062.JPG.914e98f152d6726eafebfb74bbf279f5.JPG

I'll be happy if I can get it sitting like that. The suspension may need surgery, but with the excess rim depth cut-off I think they should fit in the arches OK.

IMG_7065.JPG.8d121ba4b85365c0df267ed3f0c1c085.JPG

For colour I'm going to go for Tamiya TS-9 British Green, quite common on JDM imports and I remember one like it that was owned by a friend. It had a tan leather interior, which should look good aginst the green. Wheels will have gold/bronze-painted centres.

Since the above shot it's had couple of coats of the green and following a wet-sanding session I'm just about to give it another coat or two.

• Like 1

I always enjoy your builds, and I've had a couple of Miatas (and want another) so I'll be watching!

Are you going with a tan interior on your build too?  It's definitely the most common combination, but I've seen BRG cars with a black interior too and they look pretty good!

3 hours ago, kelson said:

Very cool!,i bought the same kit mainly for the hardtop,since the Miata version never got it🤷‍♂️,i'm following along.

Thanks Curtis. Ironically I probably won't be using the hardtop!

4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I always enjoy your builds, and I've had a couple of Miatas (and want another) so I'll be watching!

Are you going with a tan interior on your build too?  It's definitely the most common combination, but I've seen BRG cars with a black interior too and they look pretty good!

Thank you Jim. I remember your nice builds.

I think the black interior will be a bit gloomy against the dark green, I'll do it something like this one my friend had:

PA030253.JPG.28db21ab672a243f0ae2b3cb4bdb13d8.JPG

PA030250.JPG.24f0e4dbafd13d171ad8226428bb0c2b.JPG

I've a feeling it was some sort of special edition, it was certainly a JDM car.

Thanks all!

Had a bit of a gap in making progress,but as it's such a simple kit it doesn't take long to move things on when I do manage to grab a bit of bench time.

1:24 Tamiya Eunos Roadster kit

As is sometimes the case with Japanese accessory wheel sets. the back of the rim needs trimming to suit the tyre. For some silly reason I rarely do this in a vice, but at least the wide rims made these wheels easy to hold while I cut through with the saw.

That's better. Centres brush-painted with a couple of coats of Humbrol gold #16, caps and nuts to be detailed.

So, what do they look like?.......

That'll do. This is with the floorpan in place, the rears just about fit without needing to relocate the inner arches. It'll be interesting to see how much of the original suspension I can use, and to what extent it needs to be lowered. The accessory wheel/tyre set has a similar rolling radius to the originals, so I won't gain anything there. There's a 1:1 MX-5 in the next village that sits about as low as this.

Paintwork has been given my usual Micromesh and resin polish treatment. It's OK, but not my best. I couldn't get a decent final coat on the green so I had to give it a bit of clear (I usually try to avoid this on non-metallic colours).

Chosen seat/interior colour can be seen in the background, Revell #17 enamel from memory. It has a bit of a butterscotch/ginger quality rather than a plain cream or tan.

As it now sits, waiting for final detailing and assembly. I'll add a large exhaust outlet, did toy with a rear wing but decided against it.

If all goes well with our move to the new house then I'll celebrate by getting a new board........

• Like 1

On the home stretch now mate. Wise colour selection's, look forward to seeing it all pieced together.

Liking the stance in the mock shots, if you can get the wheels mounted on the suspension at that height it will be spot on.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

As is sometimes the case with Japanese accessory wheel sets. the back of the rim needs trimming to suit the tyre. For some silly reason I rarely do this in a vice, but at least the wide rims made these wheels easy to hold while I cut through with the saw.

Usually do the same when I use those type of wheels, cut that inner lip off as it will also help the wheel tuck that bit more. Doesnt take much effort to hold and cut through with one those saws.

• 3 weeks later...

I failed to complete this during my two-week holiday, which ended three weeks ago! With the forthcoming house move my time and attention has been required elsewhere, but this weekend I found a couple of hours to make some progress - I'm determined to get one more across the line in my time here!

Interior just brush-painted with various shades of Revell/Humbrol enamel. May not be super-accurate, but it looks the part.

With the standard suspension fitted I could see how it worked with the accessory wheels - some work required! This is where I'd got to at the end of my holiday.

Moving-on to this weekend. Underside shot, for what it's worth. I'm treating this as a curbside build, so what's happening here is just to hold the wheels in the right place. The kit's suspension is really nicely recreated and went together well, it gave me an appreciation for how these work at 1:1. If I built one in more standard guise it'd certainly warrant more time and effort, but that's not the purpose of this exercise.

If I can I'd like to retain the posable wheels up front, so after lots of trimming and shaving this is where I am:

The wheels are just mocked-up, I still have a bit of work to do on their final position and the ride height, but it's nearly there. Only other significant job to do is paint the dark trim inside the glass, then final assembly. I was going to fit a larger rear silencer, but the accessory set is now packed and not immediately accessible. I may try and find a set of front brake discs - those with the kit are too small but it depends on what I can find with the few kits I have easy access to.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Nice, I have one, it's a Eunos V-Special for what it's worth.

Is the paint Tamiya TS 9? I only ask cos I tried some on my car and it's actually not dark enough.

Must get some HU paint mixed up.

Revell have repopped the full detail kit, but I've never seen a built up one that doesn't look like it has a Jeep chassis under it, the ride height is far too high.

5 hours ago, dublin boy said:

Nice, I have one, it's a Eunos V-Special for what it's worth.

Is the paint Tamiya TS 9? I only ask cos I tried some on my car and it's actually not dark enough.

Must get some HU paint mixed up.

Revell have repopped the full detail kit, but I've never seen a built up one that doesn't look like it has a Jeep chassis under it, the ride height is far too high.

I like more the tamiya one, the revell is getting expensive

I like your BRG Eunos. The interior color is pretty close to the 1:1's "peanut butter" leather color, and I like the brown carpet better than the tan that came with the tan leather from the factory. The chassis engineering on the 1:1 is pretty impressive... I thought I had owned good-handling cars before my '95 came into my life last year. They really turn on a dime and it's insanely easy to place the thing exactly where you want it.  I have the Tamiya and Revell kits which I'm going to bash together to try to come up with a reasonable replica of my '95 M-edition in Merlot over tan. 

• 3 months later...

A belated thank you for all the comments and interest. I was getting very close to my house move so got someonewhat distracted by 1:1 life.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:15 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

This is hopefully a quick in-and-out-in-two-weeks holiday build - let's see if that happens.......

Hah! The answer to that was clearly no, here I am finishing it off four-and-a-bit months later.

IMG_8203.JPG.3dfddf12637b09fc9c5d79f1703cb9eb.JPG

Last WIP shot for the sake of completeness. Just got the interior mirror to tidy up and fit now.

I worked out a way of fitting the wheels which I shan't elaborate on too much, other than to say it was crude but effective! Getting the ride height right was more important than accuracy as this is little more than a curbside build. I also mustered up the enthusiasm to paint the dark trim inside the glass, with that done it was just minor bits and bobs and most things had been prepped/painted back in the summer.

It should hopefully be appearing Under Glass soon, my second completion in a week.

Edited by Spottedlaurel
  • Like 2