Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotow chrome paint sealer

I had been reading positive things about e7paints chrome sealer lately so I went ahead and purchased a couple of bottles off Ebay.

They have now arrived and today I sprayed some over Molotow I had sprayed a week ago without doing any  surface preparation of any kind.

The manufacturer describes it as a synthetic resin coating and its the only  clear coat I have sprayed to date that doesn't effect the shine of Molotow in a perceptible way. 

The part on the right has a coating  of this chrome sealer while the left side is just plain Molotow.

I just sprayed one wet coat and I've found I can now handle my Molotow painted parts as much as I like without seeing any of the usual  loss of shine that can occur.

IMG_7734.jpeg

IMG_7737.jpeg

I've been doing alot of Molotow chroming lately (airbrushed) and have also found the S-02 to be the best at retaining as much of the Molotow's shine, however I can't seem to get it to lay smoothly when airbrushing.  I've experimented with Gauzy Intermediate as well and found it to lay much better than the S-02 but I lose a fair amount of shine.  So, I've had good luck with plain old brushing the S-02 and so far, so good.  I may experiment with airbrushing a wet coat of S-02 on a junk bumper to see how that works.  I know one thing for sure is that you need to let the Molotow dry for quite some time.  I use my dehydrator and keep them in for around 24 hours.  Not sure if that's overkill or not, but maybe more of a feel-good ;)

This is an interesting thread. I know I have sprayed Spaz Stick Ultra Clear Coat Air Brush over Molotov that I sprayed through the air brush and it dull it where it was noticeable.

I think one thing about the Molotov is it needs a long time to dry. I was thinking a week at least before putting a clear on it. I have heard that the dehydrator causes some dullness too. 

6 hours ago, Len Woodruff said:

This is an interesting thread. I know I have sprayed Spaz Stick Ultra Clear Coat Air Brush over Molotov that I sprayed through the air brush and it dull it where it was noticeable.

I think one thing about the Molotov is it needs a long time to dry. I was thinking a week at least before putting a clear on it. I have heard that the dehydrator causes some dullness too. 

I generally let the pieces that I've sprayed Molotow on air dry for maybe 8 hours before putting in the dehydrator.  I haven't noticed any less shine before or after the dehydrator.  In my experience it seems like clears don't like to be put in a dehydrator too soon. 

Tamiya ENAMEL X-22 also works well as a clear coat for Molotow - maybe slightly better than S-02 chrome sealer(way better than future). It may yellow over time however? I have also heard the testors enamel clear may work very well too...

One of the best all around chromes is actually SMS super silver. It is not as bright or reflective as molotow, but seems to be ok to be handled etc. Probably the best compromise.

Mike

On 8/1/2021 at 1:54 AM, Roncla said:

I had been reading positive things about e7paints chrome sealer lately so I went ahead and purchased a couple of bottles off Ebay.

They have now arrived and today I sprayed some over Molotow I had sprayed a week ago without doing any  surface preparation of any kind.

The manufacturer describes it as a synthetic resin coating and its the only  clear coat I have sprayed to date that doesn't effect the shine of Molotow in a perceptible way. 

The part on the right has a coating  of this chrome sealer while the left side is just plain Molotow.

I just sprayed one wet coat and I've found I can now handle my Molotow painted parts as much as I like without seeing any of the usual  loss of shine that can occur.

IMG_7734.jpeg

IMG_7737.jpeg

Glad to see this thead started! ...I just bought my first Motolow pen yesterday and was very impressed with it. So I went ahead and ordered a 30ml refill bottle off eBay so that I can use it to dip a detail brush in.

Just last night I was wondering if you could airbrush this stuff... so now that I know you can I have some questions:

1- Do you just spray the Molotow straight? I assume any form of thinning is bad.

2- What should you use to clean your airbrush after using Molotow?

3- What do you use to clean the airbrush after using the sealer you showed?

4- What is the best way to purchase Molotow for airbrush use? Is there something better than the refill bottles like shown in the pic below?

70376911-3B08-4E04-9A75-1A6FF93BF136.png.68141cf5f99231de6b44959a5319ceaf.png

1- Do you just spray the Molotow straight? I assume any form of thinning is bad.

Yup - straight through the air brush with no thinners

I use roller and brush cleaner which may not be available in the US - lacquer  thinners works OK too

I haven't used clear coat yet so cannot answer. But take heed of above advise - let it dry for at least a week before handling

4- What is the best way to purchase Molotow for airbrush use? Is there something better than the refill bottles like shown in the pic below?

Get the 30ml refill bottle and it pour straight into you paint cup

Spray at lower pressures too - 15-20psi 

The 56 Nomad front bumper shown below was sprayed with Molotow after I tucked it into the body

IMG_4322.thumb.JPG.31317ac347d8b4c48b3c580398a0d938.JPG

And yup it has a 409 in it, lol

6 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

Yup - straight through the air brush with no thinners

I use roller and brush cleaner which may not be available in the US - lacquer  thinners works OK too

I haven't used clear coat yet so cannot answer. But take heed of above advise - let it dry for at least a week before handling

Get the 30ml refill bottle and it pour straight into you paint cup

Spray at lower pressures too - 15-20psi 

The 56 Nomad front bumper shown below was sprayed with Molotow after I tucked it into the body

And yup it has a 409 in it, lol

X2 on everything Bill has said. I just used lacquer thinner to clean my airbrush after using the sealer.

The sealer is ready to use from the bottle and requires no thinning just like the Molotow.  Both the Molotow and the e7 sealer need to be sprayed wet.

Provided you give the Molotow at least a week to dry you can get away without the sealer provided you carefully handle the painted parts with dry clean fingers but it does give a longer term protection.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:06 PM, TransAmMike said:

Now I'm wondering about Future over the Molotow.   I'll have to do a test on it. Anyone ever do that?

Yep! Tried that, plus some other airbrushable clears (Createx, Tamiya, Testors).  

The Future worked the best of them, but it still dulled the chrome significantly - I did post pics on here a year or so ago but I can’t find them right now.  Turned the chrome to more of a polished aluminum look, basically  

11 hours ago, bill-e-boy said:

.....The 56 Nomad front bumper shown below was sprayed with Molotow after I tucked it into the body

4 hours ago, Roncla said:

X2 on everything Bill has said. I just used lacquer thinner to clean my airbrush after using the sealer.

The sealer is ready to use from the bottle and requires no thinning just like the Molotow.  Both the Molotow and the e7 sealer need to be sprayed wet.

Provided you give the Molotow at least a week to dry you can get away without the sealer provided you carefully handle the painted parts with dry clean fingers but it does give a longer term protection.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input ... and that Nomad bumper looks excellent!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Venom said:

Ron, thanks for spending the money and time to create that video! ...Certainly doesn’t leave anything lacking. I would like to learn how to get ahold of the E7.

Not my video Josh. All I did was link it here.

All thanks goes to the Barbatos Rex You Tube channel which has dozens of similar comparison videos. It's well worth checking out.

I obtain my E7 clear off Ebay and placed an order just last week for their chrome and specialty paints. Tracking is showing it has shipped but delivery time will be uncertain especially living down under.

5 hours ago, Roncla said:

Not my video Josh. All I did was link it here.

All thanks goes to the Barbatos Rex You Tube channel which has dozens of similar comparison videos. It's well worth checking out.

I obtain my E7 clear off Ebay and placed an order just last week for their chrome and specialty paints. Tracking is showing it has shipped but delivery time will be uncertain especially living down under.

Ahh shucks, I didn’t notice that .... Well, thanks for posting it.... Guess I’ll be heading to eBay.👍