Model Cars Magazine Forum

Molotow chrome paint sealer

7 hours ago, Roncla said:

Not my video Josh. All I did was link it here.

All thanks goes to the Barbatos Rex You Tube channel which has dozens of similar comparison videos. It's well worth checking out.

I obtain my E7 clear off Ebay and placed an order just last week for their chrome and specialty paints. Tracking is showing it has shipped but delivery time will be uncertain especially living down under.

Well Ron, please let us know your results when you are able to use it.    My wheel stash is very low and there are some good options of unpainted resin wheels that need to be "chromed".

I did a test a while back with airbrushing Molotow, letting dry extensively, then using brushed on Gauzy Intermediate and both airbrushed and brushed on S-02.  My experience showed that the Gauzy went on extremely smooth and leveled nicely but dulled the nice Molotow shine.  I tried airbrushing the S-02 on a number of test spoons but just couldn't get it to lay nicely even after varying psi and light/med/heavy coats.  Finally I brushed on the S-02 and it came out acceptable in my opinion but still lost shine.  So...  seems the S-02 will retain more shine than the Gauzy if you can get it to lay smoothly.  I'm still going to try another airbrush test with the S-02 however.  As you can see by the before pics of the Molotow spoons (taken maybe a week after spraying) outside there's no denying that it can give a pretty nice shine.  I've also added before and after pics of the Gauzy and S-02 test spoons.

IMG-0065 (Large).JPG

IMG-0059 (Large).JPG

IMG-0301 (Large).JPG

IMG-0058 (Large).JPG

IMG-0308 (Large).JPG

8 hours ago, hedotwo said:

I did a test a while back with airbrushing Molotow, letting dry extensively, then using brushed on Gauzy Intermediate and both airbrushed and brushed on S-02.  My experience showed that the Gauzy went on extremely smooth and leveled nicely but dulled the nice Molotow shine.  I tried airbrushing the S-02 on a number of test spoons but just couldn't get it to lay nicely even after varying psi and light/med/heavy coats.  Finally I brushed on the S-02 and it came out acceptable in my opinion but still lost shine.  So...  seems the S-02 will retain more shine than the Gauzy if you can get it to lay smoothly.  I'm still going to try another airbrush test with the S-02 however.  As you can see by the before pics of the Molotow spoons (taken maybe a week after spraying) outside there's no denying that it can give a pretty nice shine.  I've also added before and after pics of the Gauzy and S-02 test spoons.

IMG-0065 (Large).JPG

IMG-0059 (Large).JPG

IMG-0301 (Large).JPG

IMG-0058 (Large).JPG

IMG-0308 (Large).JPG

I guess it's my old brain, but I'm a bit confused on the different applications.  What is the first picture; both look awesome?? The last picture looks kinda dull. So which had the best chrome-like shine Rich??

First pic is the two spoons after air drying for maybe a week, with no clear.  Second is one spoon before brushing on Gauzy.  Third is after the Gauzy had dried.  Fourth is the second spoon before brushing on S-02 and the last pic is after the S-02.

Sorry for the confusing post.

Edited by hedotwo

What I do is to make sure I do all my pre-fitting of bumpers after body painting and before the Molotow gets laid.  That can eliminate alot of handling and the risk of dulling.  It definitely pays to leave the pieces air dry as long as your patience allows.  I have a pile of tight, soft cotton gloves that help too.  

Molotow might not fit everyone's needs and that's fine.  I know from experience that a refill bottle lasts a long time and that's good for my retired income 😂

15 hours ago, hedotwo said:

What I do is to make sure I do all my pre-fitting of bumpers after body painting and before the Molotow gets laid.  That can eliminate alot of handling and the risk of dulling.

That is my method as well. If Molotow is going to be used on the exterior of a build, I plan carefully when and how the part will be mounted to reduce the amount of handling. The bumpers on my Pantera project will be chromed with Molotow, then mounted late in final assembly without the Molotow ever being touched. 

• 3 months later...

So, a few weeks ago I ordered some of the E7 clear off eBay from China. I never trust stuff from China since they’re famous for copying the real product and then claiming theirs is the authentic stuff. However, it arrived in my mailbox in about 7 days.

Anyway, I’ve so far only brush painted a set of windshield wipers with the Molotow, let them sit for a week, then applied the E7 over them with a brush. It probably reduced the chrominess by about 10%, but still looks pretty good. So I’d say that the China made stuff is acceptable. Whether or not it’s the exact same formula... who knows.

Just in case anyone cares

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 7:16 PM, Venom said:

So, a few weeks ago I ordered some of the E7 clear off eBay from China. I never trust stuff from China since they’re famous for copying the real product and then claiming theirs is the authentic stuff. However, it arrived in my mailbox in about 7 days.

Anyway, I’ve so far only brush painted a set of windshield wipers with the Molotow, let them sit for a week, then applied the E7 over them with a brush. It probably reduced the chrominess by about 10%, but still looks pretty good. So I’d say that the China made stuff is acceptable. Whether or not it’s the exact same formula... who knows.

Just in case anyone cares

Just wondering what exact formula are you refering too? E7 clear is there own brand product and works good. You seem to forget almost everything is made in china or other countries in the region now...... 

40 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

Just wondering what exact formula are you refering too? E7 clear is there own brand product and works good. You seem to forget almost everything is made in china or other countries in the region now...... 

Well then, I guess it’s the original then

• 10 months later...
On 8/1/2021 at 7:54 PM, Roncla said:

I had been reading positive things about e7paints chrome sealer lately so I went ahead and purchased a couple of bottles off Ebay.

They have now arrived and today I sprayed some over Molotow I had sprayed a week ago without doing any  surface preparation of any kind.

The manufacturer describes it as a synthetic resin coating and its the only  clear coat I have sprayed to date that doesn't effect the shine of Molotow in a perceptible way. 

The part on the right has a coating  of this chrome sealer while the left side is just plain Molotow.

I just sprayed one wet coat and I've found I can now handle my Molotow painted parts as much as I like without seeing any of the usual  loss of shine that can occur.

IMG_7734.jpeg

IMG_7737.jpeg

Hi. Just purchased some of this S-02 to seal the Molotow chrome. How have you found it over the year, hasn't discoloured or dulled the chrome? Thanks

6 hours ago, jd340 said:

Hi. Just purchased some of this S-02 to seal the Molotow chrome. How have you found it over the year, hasn't discoloured or dulled the chrome? Thanks

I've yet to see any difference in the Molotow parts I have cleared and not cleared over time. They still look as good as new.

The only issue i have encountered is a Molowtow refill that was about half fill went  off. Its appears the unused Molotow has  a shelf life

19 hours ago, Roncla said:

I've yet to see any difference in the Molotow parts I have cleared and not cleared over time. They still look as good as new.

The only issue i have encountered is a Molowtow refill that was about half fill went  off. Its appears the unused Molotow has  a shelf life

Thanks for the update. Will be clear coating my chrome bits this weekend.

On 8/16/2021 at 5:47 AM, Roncla said:

Not my video Josh. All I did was link it here.

All thanks goes to the Barbatos Rex You Tube channel which has dozens of similar comparison videos. It's well worth checking out.

I obtain my E7 clear off Ebay and placed an order just last week for their chrome and specialty paints. Tracking is showing it has shipped but delivery time will be uncertain especially living down under.

Just wondering if you ever got the E7 sealer and tried it.