Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevelle knowledge needed '70 to '71

My next modified build will be converting a 1970 chevelle to a 1971 chevelle.  71 Chevelle kits appear to be made of unobtaineum, leaving me with the the need to convert a 1970 version.

Here is where I need some help and advice.  What I know so far:

The 71 grill is wider.

70 = 4 headlights, 71 = 2 headlight and "marker" lights on the front fender edges.  

Superimposing one image over another it looks like the 71 headlight sit about the middle of where the two 70 headlights sit.

The rear bumper on the 71 is smooth and without the in cuts or contours of the 70.

Picture1.png.e7058755c8b5e6178952b494bf4f5ba0.pngPicture2.jpg.442584d3d919d9b86c8917d9a4af759f.jpgPicture3.png.444b8f99e2631add2c609cd94cb221bd.png

What I need to know:

What am I missing?         Are the headlights the same size?       Are the front end fender tips longer on the 71 (where the marker lights are?)       

Other than engine, what do I need to look at modifying or changing out altogether?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Seems like it would be far easier to go from 1972 to 1971 than from 1970 to 1971. There are tons of AMT 1972 Chevelles still floating around.

This is true. 

Headlights are different sizes 70 to 71. 

There's a fairly nice cheap '71 convertible available, if that's of interest to you. It MIGHT be possible to adapt its front and rear end parts to a 1/25 '70 Chevelle. 

When i was a kid, a lifetime ago, the old bat on the next block over came home with a brand new 1972 Chevelle SS 350 in Placer Gold with a domed hood and black stripes and those tough factory mag wheels that came on the Z/28. I dint have a driver's license yet but was all into big blocks at the time and couldn't appreciate that car. I would dearly love to have it right now, just as it was.

Front bumpers are totally different, rear bumpers are totally different as well. 1970 front fenders are different due to the marker lamps in the lower front portion. 

you’re best bet as mentioned, is to find a 72 and back date it, other than the obvious grille and turn signal /marker lamps differences, the rest is the same , reverse lamps are slightly different between the two years,  but in scale, hardly noticeable.

5 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Seems like it would be far easier to go from 1972 to 1971 than from 1970 to 1971. There are tons of AMT 1972 Chevelles still floating around.

It would definitely be easier....but I am not seeing the plethora of kits you describe.   

I will hit the hobby shop tomorrow and if no luck then there is a local show coming up.  May find one there.

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

This is true. 

Headlights are different sizes 70 to 71. 

There's a fairly nice cheap '71 convertible available, if that's of interest to you. It MIGHT be possible to adapt its front and rear end parts to a 1/25 '70 Chevelle. 

Whereabouts would I find this convertible?

51 minutes ago, tbill said:

Front bumpers are totally different, rear bumpers are totally different as well. 1970 front fenders are different due to the marker lamps in the lower front portion. 

you’re best bet as mentioned, is to find a 72 and back date it, other than the obvious grille and turn signal /marker lamps differences, the rest is the same , reverse lamps are slightly different between the two years,  but in scale, hardly noticeable.

Thanks for the info.  I may do just that.  Will depend on what I find.

5 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

When i was a kid, a lifetime ago, the old bat on the next block over came home with a brand new 1972 Chevelle SS 350 in Placer Gold with a domed hood and black stripes and those tough factory mag wheels that came on the Z/28. I dint have a driver's license yet but was all into big blocks at the time and couldn't appreciate that car. I would dearly love to have it right now, just as it was.

Had a 71 Nova back in the day.  Loved that car.  I always preferred the look of the Nova over the Chevelle.

EBAY ITEM NUMBER....174872333004.....MPC 72 CHEVELLE SS SLASHER KIT.....CAN BE BUILT STOCK, BUT YOU WILL NEED YOUR OWN STOCK WHEELS....NICE KIT, CURRENT BID 30 BUCKS....MUCH EASIER than a slice and dice on taking a 70 to a 71/72 car....much easier...hope this helps...Ace.....

3 minutes ago, AC Norton said:

EBAY ITEM NUMBER....174872333004.....MPC 72 CHEVELLE SS SLASHER KIT.....CAN BE BUILT STOCK, BUT YOU WILL NEED YOUR OWN STOCK WHEELS....NICE KIT, CURRENT BID 30 BUCKS....MUCH EASIER than a slice and dice on taking a 70 to a 71/72 car....much easier...hope this helps...Ace.....

Just saw that one!!!  

Be advised that the front grille/bumper of the 72 kits have some variations.

The grille and headlights on the Brown Heavy Chevy matches the box art.

The grille and headlights are significantly different but does not match ANY 1:1 71 or 72 grille.

It is closer to a Monte Carlo grille.

1972 Chevelle box art.jpg

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 11:11 AM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

AMT 1972 Chevelle with 1971 resin conversion

https://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/amt-31548-71.htm

Don't bother. It was an old listing. It's no longer available. What you'll see when you click "add to cart":

Sorry, the following item is currently out of stock: 1971 Chevy Chevelle SS 454 Hardtop (1/25) (See Description)

A lot of the internet search results will provide links to items that are no longer available at the time of the search being performed. I ran across a number of searches which came up for Model Roundup and the items were no longer available.

BTW, the conversion set was made by Dencon Resin Specialties which has been dead as a doornail since at least 2011. There was a sold set listed on Worthpoint.

Edited by SfanGoch

2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

So when a company like Dencon folds their products are no longer available. Just wait until eBay hears about this!

Dencon folded like a cheap suit. The dude had loads of customer complaints before he closed up the business. You can't find any of his old products anywhere because he was notoriously lame about filling orders and maintaining anything even remotely resembling inventory.  I defy you to find any Dencon products on ebay. Your grandchildren will probably have great-great grandchildren before that happens.