Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinning Tamiya acrylic Clear Smoke for window tinting

I usually thin Tamiya acrylics with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner for spraying and it works great. I have never sprayed any of the Tamiya clear colors on clear window plastic though. My concern is the Mr. Color lacquer thinner might damage the clear glass parts. Will the paint stick well to the window if I thin with regular Tamiya acrylic thinner? This is for the sunroof on a Tamiya Jaguar XJ220. 

Thanks for any help.

15 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I usually thin Tamiya acrylics with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner for spraying and it works great. I have never sprayed any of the Tamiya clear colors on clear window plastic though. My concern is the Mr. Color lacquer thinner might damage the clear glass parts. Will the paint stick well to the window if I thin with regular Tamiya acrylic thinner? This is for the sunroof on a Tamiya Jaguar XJ220. 

Thanks for any help.

Should be fine with their acrylic thinner. Denatured alcohol should work too, just wipe some on a clear parts tree someplace to check first but it will thin the paint fine, I use it often in Tamiya acrylics. I wouldn't use the LT either, maybe someone else will chime in and say otherwise but I wouldn't risk it personally.

• Like 1

I have used the Tamiya Smoked clear directly from the spray can with no bad effects on the "glass". I mask all of the area that I don't want painted including the interior window moldings or sun shades. Apply very light coats on the interior side of the glass. You want to sort of work up to the darkness you're after. The tricky part is that if you start doing to heavy a spray it will run very easily. Practice on some clear spruce or a section of glass from a model that has a bridge of clear between the windshield and the rear window or side glass. You wouldn't want to use that portion anyway since it will cover your headliner. I have seen builders use a very light coat of clear green or blue to represent OEM looking tinted glass. Less is more with this technique.  

• Like 1