Model Cars Magazine Forum

August 2021 Round 2 Product Spotlight

GMP440

So, nothing really exciting that we didn't already know about. The only bummer about the Craftsman kits is that they are priced almost as much as the full detail kits. And, the decals sheet is just a collection of decals I have never used and are stuffed in a box somewhere. 

I know that sadly that van will probably never be backdated and the stock version looked better than the Custom version. 

49 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

So, nothing really exciting that we didn't already know about. The only bummer about the Craftsman kits is that they are priced almost as much as the full detail kits. And, the decals sheet is just a collection of decals I have never used and are stuffed in a box somewhere. 

I know that sadly that van will probably never be backdated and the stock version looked better than the Custom version. 

They don't need to backdate it, but improve reverse engineer it, that way they can fix some of the irregularities on the body sides which are leftovers from the initial release, cuz they had to grind further into the side cavities to erase the side windows and trim.

But I'm with you that the pre-facelift Dodge Van looks way better and hopefully many more folks do so, to bring the topic to the attention to the folks of Round-2.

11 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

The only bummer about the Craftsman kits is that they are priced almost as much as the full detail kits.

Exactly . Now , I can 'excuse' the 1963 Nova Wagon as far as its retail price , as a new body was tooled and stock parts restored or newly tooled . However , the Galaxie is "just" a repop ; its low parts count doesn't justify its asking price . Yes , I will stand corrected if the '64 Galaxie is a restored tooling . I'm definitely not knocking the Galaxie -- it's a sweet kit in its own right -- but , yeah , way too much money being asked for it . 

The Dodge Van looks cool . Certainly , it's long in the tooth ( dating-back to late 1971 in origin ! ) , but is a fun kit ne'er-the-less . I'd bet that Round2 would sell a lot more Dodge B-Vans if they tooled a new body ( the 1972-1977 model years , please ) which includes side window options . Employ the engine / auto trans combo from the 1980 Volare , too ( though any parts box engine / trans would be fine for most , too . ) .

20 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

They don't need to backdate it, but improve reverse engineer it, that way they can fix some of the irregularities on the body sides which are leftovers from the initial release, cuz they had to grind further into the side cavities to erase the side windows and trim.

But I'm with you that the pre-facelift Dodge Van looks way better and hopefully many more folks do so, to bring the topic to the attention to the folks of Round-2.

Well, if they can practically make a new kit out of the old Ertl International Transtar that is more correct, who knows, maybe they can at least do the body for the Van. But I am not holding my breath on it. But, at least they do have full detail interiors that can be used on the AMT Chevy Vans! 

But I do think they should bring back the MPC Off Road Ford vans at least. I have then sealed and I would love to have new ones for builders.

Edited by Daddyfink

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Exactly . Now , I can 'excuse' the 1963 Nova Wagon as far as its retail price , as a new body was tooled and stock parts restored or newly tooled . However , the Galaxie is "just" a repop ; its low parts count doesn't justify its asking price . Yes , I will stand corrected if the '64 Galaxie is a restored tooling . I'm definitely not knocking the Galaxie -- it's a sweet kit in its own right -- but , yeah , way too much money being asked for it . 

The Dodge Van looks cool . Certainly , it's long in the tooth ( dating-back to late 1971 in origin ! ) , but is a fun kit ne'er-the-less . I'd bet that Round2 would sell a lot more Dodge B-Vans if they tooled a new body ( the 1972-1977 model years , please ) which includes side window options . Employ the engine / auto trans combo from the 1980 Volare , too ( though any parts box engine / trans would be fine for most , too . ) .

I saw the review of the Galaxie included with race car set. It's the same tool. That said, I still want a couple.

The difference in price between curbside and full detail kits won't ever again be as pronounced as in years past.  It costs the same to tie up a molding machine for both, costs the same to print boxes and instruction sheets, and so on.  Sure, there is less plastic, but that was never the biggest cost in the production of a kit.  I read somewhere that it costs more to print a kit box than the cost of the materials in the box.

15 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

saw the review of the Galaxie included with race car set. It's the same tool. That said, I still want a couple.

I like its simplicity -- and perhaps more so the promo callouts on the frame / chassis / suspension -- but I still can't see myself paying the asking price  because  of what's not included ( i.e. , no custom options for wheels / tyres ) . 

I almost had a coronary event when I saw how much the Cal Drag Combo is retailing for ! In reality , however , that set seems like it's worth the price : three kits for ~ 50$ is better than ~30$ for one .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thats sad how many times you come out with the same kit and decals??? the dodge van been out ,not that long ago I remember having some of the 64 fords to,Why not come out with the 76 caprice again or the 78-80 monte carlo something we havent seen in a while instead of stuff that hasnt been out that long ago just an ideal??? How about retool the 71 road runner or 72 pontiac ventura,or super charger????

10 hours ago, robo37 said:

Wow thats sad how many times you come out with the same kit and decals??? the dodge van been out ,not that long ago I remember having some of the 64 fords to,Why not come out with the 76 caprice again or the 78-80 monte carlo something we havent seen in a while instead of stuff that hasnt been out that long ago just an ideal??? How about retool the 71 road runner or 72 pontiac ventura,or super charger????

I agree and the concensus on this board is that we different things that haven't seen the light of day in over 50 years.  I beleive Round 2 has started this process and they are listening.  3D printing and reverse engineering tooling is is starting to be common place ie; newly released Chevy ll wagon, 64 Cutlass convt and soon to be re64 Cutlass hardtop.  We just need to keep writing in and emailing Round 2 our requests.

14 hours ago, robo37 said:

Why not come out with the 76 Caprice again or the 78-80 Monte Carlo [...] How about retool the 71 Road Runner or 72 Pontiac Ventura, or [ Dodge ] Super Charger????

I , for one , would love to see the 1976 Caprice re-released ( Coca ~ Cola  machine or two for that kit's trailer ? Why not ! ) , as I missed it the last go'round . 

1971 Road Runner... Please ! Throw-in the 1972 bonnet , bumpers , and lights ; decals for both years , too . 

1972 Ventura would be neat . The body and its separate front clip have been subject to jeers for a long time -- fiddly fenders and 'questionable' body proportions , esp. with age ( i.e. , the 1972 SS Nova which was borne-out of the Ventura II tooling ) . 

The 1978-1980 Monte would be sweet . I have the Class Act iteration of the Monte from , what , 8 years ago ? Many would love to see it backdated to the (coveted) Wheeler Dealer version ( i.e. , single headlamp fascia ) . I'm good with either .

Lastly , the Super Charger : That was the last 1973-1974 Charger in 1/25 scale , and it was last available over 30 years ago ( closer to 40 years , truly ) . 

4 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I agree and the concensus on this board is that we want to see different things that haven't seen the light of day in over 50 years.  I beleive Round 2 has started this process and they are listening.  3D printing and reverse engineering is starting to be common place ie; newly released Chevy ll wagon, 64 Cutlass convt and soon to be re64 Cutlass hardtop.  We just need to keep writing in and emailing Round 2 our requests.

15 hours ago, robo37 said:

The "Bad Company" van was out 6, nearly 7 years ago, and the last full releases of the '64 Ford was in 1999.  There was a Model King boxing in 2007, but that's before Round2 was involved, so other than the 3 kit set they just released they've never made money from it.

Your requests aren't bad ones, but companies need to keep things on the shelves of Hobby Lobby and brick and mortar Hobby Shops, it doesn't matter how many of them are floating around on eBay or at shows, they're not making any money when those change hands for the (17th) time.  The Caprice seems due for a reissue, but it might have sold like a hot fart in church and doesn't justify it.  We (the public) only ever know what the kits are planned for about 4-6 months in advance, there's no telling what is planned for 2022 and beyond.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

The "Bad Company" van was out 6, nearly 7 years ago, and the last full releases of the '64 Ford was in 1999.  There was a Model King boxing in 2007, but that's before Round2 was involved, so other than the 3 kit set they just released they've never made money from it.

Your requests aren't bad ones, but companies need to keep things on the shelves of Hobby Lobby and brick and mortar Hobby Shops, it doesn't matter how many of them are floating around on eBay or at shows, they're not making any money when those change hands for the (17th) time.  The Caprice seems due for a reissue, but it might have sold like a hot fart in church and doesn't justify it.  We (the public) only ever know what the kits are planned for about 4-6 months in advance, there's no telling what is planned for 2022 and beyond.

Very good points raised here but as far as keeping product in Hobby Lobby and brick and mortar hobby shop shelves;  Round 2 seems to have taken a different direction.  They are reviving old kits for the nostalgia builders ,those that built kits back in the day;  ie, Craftsman kits (Chevy ll Wagon, 64 Cutlass convt, etc.)  The Cutlass kit is already in Hobby Lobby.  I ask ,how many of the younger, occasional builder types are going to buy that AMT 64 Cutlass convt at Hobby Lobby?  Probably a very small percentage.  Because, they don't know what that modelling subject is.   In reference to the person wanting to see a retool of the 71 Roadrunner  and 72 Ventura; I think we are going to see those and other surprises come out.

17 hours ago, robo37 said:

Why not come out with the 76 caprice again or the 78-80 monte carlo something we havent seen in a while instead of stuff that hasnt been out that long ago just an ideal??? How about retool the 71 road runner or 72 pontiac ventura,or super charger????

I'd buy all of those!!

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

We (the public) only ever know what the kits are planned for about 4-6 months in advance, there's no telling what is planned for 2022 and beyond.

To confirm and add to what Jim said above, Round 2, Revell, et al typically plan future reissues 1-2 years in advance of their actual appearance, and newly tooled kits are often planned (that is, finally committed to full engineering development and tooling) 2-3 years in advance in some cases. 

For instance, one of the major kitmakers was putting together potential candidates for their 2022 release plan around December of 2020 if I am remembering the months correctly....  TB