Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT Surf Shark 1959 Cadillac Ambulance

Casey

Nice to finally see the boxart, even though the theme presented doesn't do much for me.  Some stock ambulance decals would be handy for this one.

Meanwhile, this trailer just hit the social media:

If only some kit manufacturer had something to tie in with the film...

:-)

Be nice to see what shows up in the box. Are those newly tooled forward facing lights over the driver's head? Are those the '65 Chevelle Wagon Surfboards? And there should be some seriously odd decals in this kit too.

And I remember that this was a pretty heavy chunk of plastic in it's day. The price may be on point.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Be nice to see what shows up in the box. Are those newly tooled forward facing lights over the driver's head?

I think so. I don't think they were part of the ECTO-1 version. Not really sure what they are supposed to be, but someone here probably does.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Are those the '65 Chevelle Wagon Surfboards?

Yes. This should be the third kit to include them after the previous Ford Surf Van.

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Be nice to see what shows up in the box. Are those newly tooled forward facing lights over the driver's head? Are those the '65 Chevelle Wagon Surfboards? And there should be some seriously odd decals in this kit too.

The overhead lights are newly tooled parts.  Various derelict ambulance pics found on the 'net were used for inspiration.  I believe the boards are the same ones as used in the '65 Chevelle.  

1959-cadillac-ambulance-original-condition-5.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VW93 said:

From the Stevens International AMT product listings, hoping this is a typo on the price.

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1242 1/25 Surf Shark 1959 Cadillac Ambulance Custom $49.95 TBA

A fun game I have at my shop is counting how many Tamiya, Hasegawa, or Aoshima kits on my shelf have a lower MSRP than the latest Round 2 of leftovers. It's painful to see as a retailer, but at least builders can take comfort that in two years the unsold stock will wind up on a pallet at Ollies for less than your local hobby shop's wholesale cost. 

Come and live in Australia where kits haven't been UNDER $60 for the last three years or so. And some retailers have Coke themed kits as high as $85!  The price you pay for a kit at Hobby Lobby will JUST buy us a can of Tamiya primer.  Ah, well, just the price you pay for living in the greatest country on earth, I guess! 😉

I don't need a Caddy ambo but happy for the people who do.

Cheers

Alan

On 8/11/2021 at 3:23 PM, alan barton said:

Come and live in Australia where kits haven't been UNDER $60 for the last three years or so. And some retailers have Coke themed kits as high as $85!  The price you pay for a kit at Hobby Lobby will JUST buy us a can of Tamiya primer.  Ah, well, just the price you pay for living in the greatest country on earth, I guess! 😉

I don't need a Caddy ambo but happy for the people who do.

Cheers

Alan

I hear you Alan, it just makes us Aussies use our model resources more (economically) !