Model Cars Magazine Forum

2018 Red Bull RB14 Race Car F1 in 1:20 Scale

Okay guys, and to cut a long story short...... I messed up the yellow paint in both areas of this car, while spending most of last Friday attempting to get the seated driver figure into the cockpit of the RB14........ Ended up removing large amounts of PLA material to get the driver seated low enough in the cockpit, so that the top of his helmet cleared the induction cowling. Also, I caused the front wing to become detached, and then made matters worse by touching the yellow painted nose cone with glue on my finger !   Schoolboy error !  The driver was refusing to go into the cockpit, until I cut off his feet, and then had to cut off his lower legs as well, ( sorry Max Verstappen ).

Anyway, all is well again today....... More masking, then applied some orange filler primer, let it dry, and applied more white primer. Airbrushed the FINAL coat of Red Bull yellow and leave overnight.

Once the yellow has dried for at least 24 hours, there will be further masking and then grey primer applied, to both the body of the car and also the driver figure. Then..... I shall airbrush the Red Bull dark blue to the car body and driver figure, over the grey primer. The yellow paint was better when applied over white primer.

David

100_4060.JPG

100_4062.JPG

100_4074.JPG

I thought I was back on track, but disaster struck again tonight...... I scratch built a piece of square styrene tubing, to extend the dashboard, as the steering column would not reach the hole in the dash. The super glue comes out of the nozzle in too large amounts, and as I tipped the model over to look at the fit of the new piece..... the excess super glue ran along the full length of the nose cone on top, and ruined the yellow area again. There was a stream of super glue from the halo all the way down to the nose.

Today, I used pure acetone, applied with a cotton bud, to remove the super glue from the body of the RB14....... This also removed a small amount of paint as part of the process. More sanding has been done, and now there will be more coats of orange filler primer, white primer and grey primer. This model car has has so many coats of paint that I have literally lost count !

David

100_4085.JPG

100_4088.JPG

100_4092.JPG

100_4101.JPG

100_4105.JPG

100_4122.JPG

100_4125.JPG

100_4127.JPG

100_4132.JPG

The two small yellow areas of the Red Bull have now been masked off, and a coat of grey primer applied to the car. The driver figure has the visor fitted to the helmet. This was drawn and cut from thin styrene, then bent round into shape and I drilled two holes in the extreme corners of the visor, using my Revell hand drill. Then I gave the outer face of the visor a coat of black Sharpie to reproduce the ' reflective ' look. Vaseline has been applied over the visor so that  after the grey primer and the Red Bull dark blue has been applied, I can scrape away the Vaseline to reveal the black visor underneath.

Once the grey primer has dried overnight for 24 hours, the dark blue Zero Paints will be applied in two coats using the airbrush, with 15 minutes between coats. Depending how the dark blue dries, I may apply Humbrol Matt Varnish if necessary, as I need a matt finish.

David

100_4137.JPG

100_4142.JPG

100_4172.JPG

100_4176.JPG

100_4179.JPG

100_4185.JPG

100_4187.JPG

100_4189.JPG

100_4190.JPG

The Red Bull dark blue matte has been applied in two coats by airbrush, and the masking has been removed from the yellow areas of the car. The first two decals were carefully positioned, after cutting out from the decal sheet. These are the large ' BULL ' decals, either side of the induction cowling. I have painted the sides of the rear spoiler, ready to receive the ' ESSO ' and ' AT&T ' decals. This is to place the white ' ESSO ' decal over red, while the white ' AT&T ' decal will be placed over blue.

David

100_4260.JPG

100_4261.JPG

100_4262.JPG

100_4284.JPG

100_4295.JPG

100_4308.JPG

100_4312.JPG

100_4320.JPG

More decal work going on this evening....... These are 1:10 scale decals that have been scaled down to 1:20 for this Red Bull RB14, and they are peel off film type stickers rather than the usual water slide. Cutting each decal from the sheet is tricky, and I am using a scalpel knife to do the job as precisely as possible. Apparently, the 1:10 scale decals are supplied pre-cut, but not these scaled down special one-offs. The arrangement of decals on any F1 race car is always complex, and this Red Bull is no exception. Here are a few photos showing current progress with the decals.

David

100_4367.JPG

100_4372.JPG

100_4374.JPG

100_4375.JPG

All the decals are in place, and today I fitted the front and rear suspension units. Wheels and tyres have been fitted, along with some scratch built centre wheel nuts. Next up, will be the driver's helmet detail painting, followed by the difficult task of easing the driver figure into the cockpit. This will be a tight fit, especially as I have to allow for the steering wheel to be located within the driver's hands.

David

100_4501.JPG

100_4505.JPG

100_4507.JPG

100_4531.JPG

100_4533.JPG

100_4537.JPG

100_4556.JPG

Well, the Max Verstappen driver figure is now seated in the cockpit of this Red Bull RB14...... It was necessary to cut off some further resin material from around the knees area, and also I had to smear Vaseline over the sides and back of the figure to ease Max into his seat. The steering column was guided into the hole on the dashboard, and the driver's hands were persuaded to clasp the steering wheel. What a struggle, but he's in place !

There might be some additional helmet detail, which will be red markings on top of the driver's helmet.

David

100_4624.JPG

100_4627.JPG

100_4636.JPG

100_4663.JPG

100_4664.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Hi Mark..... No, the driver figure is a 1:20 resin figure made in Greece, whereas the 16 parts of the car are 3D printed by myself.

David

Do you have any plans to put some clear coat on that baby?  That's pretty cool that you can create your own models. You never have to buy another kit.

6 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Do you have any plans to put some clear coat on that baby?  That's pretty cool that you can create your own models. You never have to buy another kit.

Yes, I have ordered some Matt Clearcoat, which will seal in the decals and also ensure that the bodywork has the true matt finish. The Red Bull Formula 1 cars are the only ones to have a matt finish. On the subject of 3D printing my own models, although it is something that I enjoy doing, the entire process can be very time consuming and there is always this issue with the layer lines (much sanding). There are some really nice kits that I like to build, such as the Moebius Hudson Hornet for example, and currently I am just starting to build the vintage 1:12 Tamiya Lotus 49B F1 kit from 1968.

David

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Nice work on a one of one model.  I saw the F1 race this morning and the fans were very happy with the results.

Thanks, Rex........ Yes, that was a really satisfying win for Max Verstappen at the Zandvoort circuit in Holland, and it was quite a sight to see all those orange Dutch fans going wild !............ My favourite F1 driver is Max, and I like to see those Red Bulls beating the Mercedes, even though Lewis Hamilton is British.

The 3D printed RB14 from 2018 is my only 1:20 scale build, and I don't have any plans to build a second model in that scale. Currently, I am just starting work on a vintage 1:12 scale Tamiya Lotus 49B kit from 1968, and this was a kit that I built when I was 15 years of age in 1968, so 53 years ago and I am now coming up for 68 years of age !

David

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Excellent work!

This one seems to have fought you every step of the way, I admire your patience and determination.

David G.

Thank you, David...... This model race car has indeed fought back at every stage of the build, and to be honest with you, at one point I came very close to throwing in the towel and giving up. Somehow I got there in the end..... 5 weeks and 4 days from printing the 16 parts to completion. I do have a great deal of patience, but this Red Bull really pushed me to the limit !

David

The Red Bull RB14 is now waiting to have some matt clearcoat applied, while my attention has been diverted to the 1:12 scale Tamiya Lotus 49B vintage kit.

I have borrowed an excellent reference book by Michael Oliver, from a local professional model builder who is a friend of mine, and this book is widely recognised as the ' Bible ' for anyone building the iconic Lotus 49 and also the Lotus 49B.

Watched the Italian Grand Prix from Monza on Sunday, and saw Max Verstappen put his Red Bull RB16B on top of Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes, and it was the halo that saved Hamilton fromm serious injury or even death. 

David

AAOmtiU.jpg

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

10 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

Nicely done. You overcame a lot of issues to get it done.

Thank you, Dennis.......... This is the most challenging aspect of scale model car building, and it is always rewarding when you get the model completed, despite all the setbacks.

David

• 1 year later...