Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 ish Mustang from K-9

Nazz

Just started a new project, the 1965 Mustang convertible from the movie K-9. I am using the 1965 Mutang kit with the '67 frame and interior. As you can see I have taken the fender wells from the '67 and installed them into the '65. I decided to use the '67 frame because it has more detail. Here are a couple of pics of the start of the project. Can anyone tell me what the paint code is for the car in the movie?  Is it a factory color?

Jerry

DSC02682.thumb.JPG.d59b8ee9cda396763390fb704916629a.JPGDSC02683.thumb.JPG.28c8d6f886bb8e180368feeea3211d0a.JPG

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but here is some progress on the K-9 Mustang. I have the chassis modified for a closer ride height to the car in the movie. The engine is neer completion,just need to install the distributor and wire it. I used Testors acrylic ford engine blue . First time I used this paint. Not bad but it came out a little dark . I think it will be O.K. after all the car has a few modifications and maintenance so it doesn't need to be factory correct. The interior is going to be a bit of work as I will be using parts from both kits.   More to come.

Jerry

I don't see any pictures but I wouldn't be too concerned about the Ford blue being too dark.  I grew up in a Ford family and those engines (60s - early '70s) were generally a darker blue.  In fact, in the early '80s, Testors offered a Ford Engine Blue (#2727) in that darker blue.   I'd kill for a couple more bottles of that stuff, as it was later changed to a lighter blue and called Ford/GM engine blue, but retained the #2727 P/N.

I think you made an excellent choice by using the chassis etc from the '67 as it offers far better detail.  

If you haven't found an exact match for the paint on the movie car, keep looking. Maybe an auto parts store that sells Dupli-Color will have a better match.  John Deere green is way too dark (I live in farm country and see it all the time.)