Model Cars Magazine Forum

Munsters Koach

spencer1984

After years of pecking away at this one, I finally have it finished! It started as what I thought would be a more-or-less box stock build, but the engine was hideously undersized so I swapped it for one from a '67 Mustang. But that meant that the hood sides were too short and had to be fixed, and the chassis wouldn't fit, and there really wasn't any suspension to speak of, and, and, and. Next thing I know, I'm making new rear seat supports out of brass strip and 3D printing the side lanterns. About the only things that weren't completely reworked were the interior bucket, seats, and the rear 3/4 of the body. I'm still not 100% satisfied with it, but it's much better than what came out of the box. The usual write-up is available here, and as always comments/criticisms are welcome.

koach-04.jpg.822f42f863e1ecbdde9ee06080e361cb.jpg

koach-05.jpg.0373fbcd1d45585f6c54ac05177ed0a1.jpg

koach-07.jpg.46ebcc1a20cfe5e65c09c2d45ad9aa0e.jpg

koach-08.jpg.18093b2d714747e544c4d2729af11ccc.jpg

koach-06.jpg.6f26cb56b773ba45cef789e2b970023f.jpg

koach-09.jpg.f7daf4f80da4cb1221c9c019085a8623.jpg

koach-10.jpg.2ac75ad5d7f82b4688aab9fb07ac8af2.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, spencer1984 said:

I finally have it finished!

Wow Bill! That looks fantastic buddy!  Awesome example!

I've wanted to build this for awhile, my idea was always to build it as "screen used" as in all the colors to be in black and white...

I recently watched a documentary on the Munsters and I learned originally the show was gonna be filmed in color but with $10,000 per segment to shoot in color by 1964 standards CBS executives weren't willing to pay that  for a new series. They didn't believe the show was gonna last as long as it did. Rob Zombie is set to direct the new movie. He's a huge fan of the original show.. I can't wait to see his spin on the old series. 

That's the best rendition of this kit that I have ever seen. The side lanterns look really good and the engine swap is a big improvement.

All the first gen AMT small block ford engines are undersized. Too them till the 90s to get it right.

Thanks, guys!

7 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Have you posted your Batmobile?

Maybe? I can't remember...I built that one about 16 years ago, so I may have posted something back when I first joined up here.

6 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I've wanted to build this for awhile, my idea was always to build it as "screen used" as in all the colors to be in black and white...

I saw a Laurel & Hardy Ford done up like that, it was a really stunning piece. I was thinking about doing something similar with a Sin City car, all black & white except for a single shot of color somewhere.

6 hours ago, oldscool said:

All the first gen AMT small block ford engines are undersized. Too them till the 90s to get it right.

I've heard that, this just happened to be my first experience with one. They really missed the mark, though it could probably pass for a V6 with a little work.

Without question, that's the best build-up of this kit that I've ever seen!

David G.

ps: I just checked out the link you provided and I'm still reading through the text. What I wanted to ask what application you used to build your site. I've been looking to upgrade my own website and this is similar to the format that I have in mind.

Thanks,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Added Postscript

Thanks, guys! The kit was very very much an "early" model, but at least provides a good starting point.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:59 AM, David G. said:

ps: I just checked out the link you provided and I'm still reading through the text. What I wanted to ask what application you used to build your site. I've been looking to upgrade my own website and this is similar to the format that I have in mind.

Yeah, this was kind of a longer one - I try to keep things short but it doesn't always work 🙂

Glad you like the look of the site! I'm a web/graphic designer by profession, and so it was built from the ground up. It's not my fanciest work, but it does everything I need it to and is easy for me to update.