Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why is it so hard for young people to get into modelling?

Would kits of supercars sell?  IF you had a world wide distribution network!  Those cars are recognized and admired around the world.  Not as big in the USA as in other places. BUT, here's the big problem.... diecast!    Back when we were kids, this hobby started with people modifying promotional models... why? Because they were colorless and bland.    Today, amazing diecast is available everywhere... perfect copies of cars can be had in the $20 range!   No need to do anything but collect and admire.  That scratches a lot of folks itch for cars.

My 20 year old nephew grabbed me when I was at their family home and dragged me up to his room.  He had three shelves FULL of Lambos, Ferraris and the like.  He loves these cars,  not that he will ever own a real one, and has collected his dream garage.   

And the wide variety of diecast that comes out right after the real car is astounding!  Not that long ago I bought a Jeep Renegade and the Fiat 500 X  version.   I got to pick from several colors, and each of them are fantastic replicas.  No need to pry them apart for any reason!

A dozen years ago our department secretary asked me to replicate her husband's car for Christmas.  She  brought me a photo of a Verdoro Green 1968 GTO.  I figured I was  building a model, but upon checking around I found a 1/24 scale one in the correct color.  Upon receiving it, I did some black wash on the grille, and all else I could think to do was add his license plates from Acme!    And he was very happy!

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Why would any kid today want to do anything so mundane as building models anyway?  Everything is done for them.  Instant gratification has been the thing for years now.  To build something and then show it along side something another person did?  Why that might breed hurt feelings.  Can't have them getting their sensitive little egos hurt ya know.  The current generation has no clue what it means to entertain themselves away from the cell phone or video games.  It's not a matter of patience.  That comes with practice.  What is missing is discipline whether it's in the home, in school or at play.  

I know, I'm ranting.  And there are some young people today who have it figured out and will become great men and women in society.  So it's not fair to put them all in the same category.  Nevertheless they are in the minority compared to others who seem to have no clue which end is up.  

The question was asked and that is MHO!!😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Why would any kid today want to do anything so mundane as building models anyway?  Everything is done for them.  Instant gratification has been the thing for years now.  To build something and then show it along side something another person did?  Why that might breed hurt feelings.  Can't have them getting their sensitive little egos hurt ya know.  The current generation has no clue what it means to entertain themselves away from the cell phone or video games.  It's not a matter of patience.  That comes with practice.  What is missing is discipline whether it's in the home, in school or at play.  

I know, I'm ranting.  And there are some young people today who have it figured out and will become great men and women in society.  So it's not fair to put them all in the same category.  Nevertheless they are in the minority compared to others who seem to have no clue which end is up.  

The question was asked and that is MHO!!😊

I like your honesty. As a member of said generation... I can attest to that. I cannot stand a lot of the people my age for your exact reasons. As for model building, all I can say is yup, patience is dead.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:27 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Would kits of supercars sell?  IF you had a world wide distribution network!  Those cars are recognized and admired around the world.  Not as big in the USA as in other places. BUT, here's the big problem.... diecast!    Back when we were kids, this hobby started with people modifying promotional models... why? Because they were colorless and bland.    Today, amazing diecast is available everywhere... perfect copies of cars can be had in the $20 range!   No need to do anything but collect and admire.  That scratches a lot of folks itch for cars.

My 20 year old nephew grabbed me when I was at their family home and dragged me up to his room.  He had three shelves FULL of Lambos, Ferraris and the like.  He loves these cars,  not that he will ever own a real one, and has collected his dream garage.   

And the wide variety of diecast that comes out right after the real car is astounding!  Not that long ago I bought a Jeep Renegade and the Fiat 500 X  version.   I got to pick from several colors, and each of them are fantastic replicas.  No need to pry them apart for any reason!

A dozen years ago our department secretary asked me to replicate her husband's car for Christmas.  She  brought me a photo of a Verdoro Green 1968 GTO.  I figured I was  building a model, but upon checking around I found a 1/24 scale one in the correct color.  Upon receiving it, I did some black wash on the grille, and all else I could think to do was add his license plates from Acme!    And he was very happy!

Thoughts?

My opinion: Supercar models are overly expensive. A worldwide distribution might help though.

Diecast is something I never actually understood though, because why would you want something already done? It's like the "pre built" starships that Polar lights is releasing. What is the value in that when you have none of your own input into it? Sure you could modify it, but at that point why not just build it yourself?

However, there is so much more variety in diecast. I would love to make a model of my first car, but it doesn't exist. It does exist in diecast. (Just an example).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Diecast is something I never actually understood though, because why would you want something already done? It's like the "pre built" starships that Polar lights is releasing. What is the value in that when you have none of your own input into it? Sure you could modify it, but at that point why not just build it yourself?

Why? Because some people just enjoy displaying their collection.  There are plenty of collectors who collect all sorts of objects.  Dolls, Teddy bears, jewelry, etc. etc.  They are not into the creating things - they are into owning the finished product.

You wouldn't expect a doll collector to make their own dolls?  How about a collector of fine paintings painting their own (paint by numbers?) canvases? Model trains is also a hobby where there are lots of collectors who buy expensive (finished) models, just to place them in display cases.  Same is be true for model cars.  Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint were catering to model car collectors for decades. 99.9% of those diecast collectors never ever considered modifying their precious Franklin Mint models. Some even kept them in their original box, only to be infrequently taken out and enjoyed.  While those 2 diecast manufacturers are gone, they have been replaced by a dozen new companies that produce really good quality finished diecast models.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, peteski said:

While those 2 diecast manufacturers are gone, they have been replaced by a dozen new companies that produce really good quality finished diecast models.

Agreed!  Look at a manufacturer like Round 2.. no doubt they make a lot more on diecast than on model car kits.  Just look at limited sales outlets for kits where diecasts are sold everywhere.  

49 minutes ago, peteski said:

Why? Because some people just enjoy displaying their collection.  There are plenty of collectors who collect all sorts of objects.  Dolls, Teddy bears, jewelry, etc. etc.  They are not into the creating things - they are into owning the finished product.

You wouldn't expect a doll collector to make their own dolls?  How about a collector of fine paintings painting their own (paint by numbers?) canvases? Model trains is also a hobby where there are lots of collectors who buy expensive (finished) models, just to place them in display cases.  Same is be true for model cars.  Franklin Mint and Danbury Mint were catering to model car collectors for decades. 99.9% of those diecast collectors never ever considered modifying their precious Franklin Mint models. Some even kept them in their original box, only to be infrequently taken out and enjoyed.  While those 2 diecast manufacturers are gone, they have been replaced by a dozen new companies that produce really good quality finished diecast models.

Well to each their own. I personally just do not understand the appeal of them, but if other people do then so be it. It was not meant to be an argument, just a statement that I can't comprehend why someone wouldn't want to put their own creativity into something they would display. Any collector doesn't make much sense to me, but again to each their own. I am not trying to pass judgment on other peoples hobbies, rather I would prefer to understand them. My point was not meant to spark annoyance, if that is what it has done.

If I have upset you with my lack of understanding, I do apologize. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my purpose of creating this discussion thread was to hear them.

Edited by Ceaser_Salad
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

If I have upset you with my lack of understanding, I do apologize. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my purpose of creating this discussion thread was to hear them.

I'm not upset with you or your questions. I apologize if I sounded that way. I was simply trying to broaden your view, that not all people who collect things, necessarily want to build their own collectibles.  I actually have a sizable N scale Model train collection. Factory assembled and unmodified by me train models displayed in cases.

Don't you know anybody who collects something, just to own and enjoy looking at their collection?

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, peteski said:

I'm not upset with you or your questions. I apologize if I sounded that way. I was simply trying to broaden your view, that not all people who collect things, necessarily want to build their own collectibles.  I actually have a sizable N scale Model train collection. Factory assembled and unmodified by me train models displayed in cases.

Don't you know anybody who collects something, just to own and enjoy looking at their collection?

In all honesty, no I really do not. Most of the people I know either don't do anything of the sort, or are straight up artists who make their own work. I know these people exist, just have never really come across them or had any conversation about the topic with anyone.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

In all honesty, no I really do not. Most of the people I know either don't do anything of the sort, or are straight up artists who make their own work. I know these people exist, just have never really come across them or had any conversation about the topic with anyone.

Well then, I hope that I widened your point of view.  There are lots of collectors like the ones I mentioned out there in the world.  That's why prefinished diecast models are quite popular, with wide range of subjects (often not available in a kit form) are available as diecasts.

4 minutes ago, peteski said:

Well then, I hope that I widened your point of view.  There are lots of collectors like the ones I mentioned out there in the world.  That's why prefinished diecast models are quite popular, with wide range of subjects (often not available in a kit form) are available as diecasts.

You certainly have.

And it is certainly interesting to know what it is that people look for in their hobbies.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Look at the Japanese kitmakers.  Look at Italeri.  Heck, even the most casual perusal of any kitmaker that isn't Round 2 or Atlantis will show you that not only do kits of supercars sell, they've been selling for years.

3 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Look at the Japanese kitmakers.  Look at Italeri.  Heck, even the most casual perusal of any kitmaker that isn't Round 2 or Atlantis will show you that not only do kits of supercars sell, they've been selling for years.

I am so confused as to where the question became "do supercar models sell" 😆

But I will say again, who is the buyer of these? Are they younger people or not? Wish we could do a census of the whole world to figure this out...

1 hour ago, peteski said:

There are lots of people into classic (1:1 drivable) cars. For example someone might own a super cherry “57 Chevy that they payed $50K for, whereas another person has one that was built all the way up and restored by them. I guess it’s the exact same thing as building a model vs. buying a prebuilt model, but I’m inclined to believe that the one who builds it for themselves is the one who has more pride in what they own, even if it’s not as nice as the one that was already built. That being said, prebuilt die-casts rarely look as good as a plastic model built by a talented builder.

19 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Never came across a coin, stamp, trading card collector?? Collecting die-cast or trains isn’t that much different to collecting Pokémon cards or Happy meal toys. Each to their own. Some even collect model kits with no intention to build them. 

Edited by Sandboarder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

I wonder if there are many people of every age group that have never created anything. If so, I feel sorry for them. There is a great satisfaction that comes from making something on your own. Even something created in the virtual realm would take some mental skill. I personally have a need to make something with my hands, I've been that way all my life. It would be a shame if the effort=pride/satisfaction equation went missing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kit Basher said:

I wonder if there are many people of every age group that have never created anything. If so, I feel sorry for them. There is a great satisfaction that comes from making something on your own. Even something created in the virtual realm would take some mental skill. I personally have a need to make something with my hands, I've been that way all my life. It would be a shame if the effort=pride/satisfaction equation went missing.

It would be truly sad to see someone who has not created a single thing of their own. I too like to work with my hands (which is why collecting things doesn't make sense to me). But as I have said many times, to each their own. Collectors are just as much hobbyists as scale modellers.

39 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

The original question was why was it so hard for young people to get into modelling.   Ceaser_Salad:  Has your question been answered??😎

It has been answered so many times in so many ways. I like this conversation.

9 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

I am so confused as to where the question became "do supercar models sell" 😆

But I will say again, who is the buyer of these? Are they younger people or not? Wish we could do a census of the whole world to figure this out...

Seeing that you are the OP and asked this question, I will chime in. I’m 56. I have a lot of models. A lot. I went through phases of genres that interested me, one of them being supercars. I have a good number of supercars in my stash. Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, Revell, RoG are the main brands. I also have a good number of race cars based off of supercars in my stash. Why? Because I like them. Although I never actually had the poster of the Lamborghini Contach that was so popular back in the day, I always liked it. For me, that was probably one of my first exposures to a supercar.  As I’m typing this response I am asking myself what it is about these cars that I like? I don’t know how to answer that, I just like them. I also like a good hot rod. I love the muscle cars. I don’t care for rat rods and I’m not particularly fond of fat fendered cars. I like the old classic luxury cars from the teens and 20s. I’m not a fan of the plain jane Japanese cars. 

So with that incoherent rambling, did I answer your question? Probably not. I’ve only had one cup of coffee so I’m not too focused yet…lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nacho Z said:

Seeing that you are the OP and asked this question, I will chime in. I’m 56. I have a lot of models. A lot. I went through phases of genres that interested me, one of them being supercars. I have a good number of supercars in my stash. Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, Revell, RoG are the main brands. I also have a good number of race cars based off of supercars in my stash. Why? Because I like them. Although I never actually had the poster of the Lamborghini Contach that was so popular back in the day, I always liked it. For me, that was probably one of my first exposures to a supercar.  As I’m typing this response I am asking myself what it is about these cars that I like? I don’t know how to answer that, I just like them. I also like a good hot rod. I love the muscle cars. I don’t care for rat rods and I’m not particularly fond of fat fendered cars. I like the old classic luxury cars from the teens and 20s. I’m not a fan of the plain jane Japanese cars. 

So with that incoherent rambling, did I answer your question? Probably not. I’ve only had one cup of coffee so I’m not too focused yet…lol.

Your rambling was most coherent, no need to worry about that. (I have no idea what OP means though). Coffee is the liquid of life, may need to get yourself some more of that.

But to your point, everyone likes what they like. But do younger audiences like supercars? Or is it still the (apologies) older people? I think my point still stands that it is difficult for young people to get into modelling because they have a) no interest in something that takes skill or effort and b) there isn't much that they would like to build.

I appreciate your viewpoint though. Don't forget your coffee

9 minutes ago, Nacho Z said:

. A lot. I went through phases of genres that interested me, one of them being supercars. I have a good number of supercars in my stash. Tamiya, Fujimi, Aoshima, Revell, RoG are the main brands. I also have a good number of race cars based off of supercars in my stash. Why? Because I like them

And I don’t! 😛

I’ll be 63 next month. I have zero interest in super cars, probably because I have no experience or memories of them in my life.