Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why is it so hard for young people to get into modelling?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

I find snap kits too toy like (like the revell snap mustangs), and I don't really know that they are even functional as an introduction to actual modelling.. Just my opinion

You need to build a Bandai model kit then. Buy the a cheap HG Gundam or 30 minute missions kit and you’ll see potential in a well designed snap kit. 

Tried to get my grandson interested.   Flogging a dead horse!   Shuts himself away in his bedroom to play on his X box, PlayStation or whatever. Absolutely no interest in model making of creative activities whatsoever. A pity, but that unfortunately is the way of things these days. Maybe some of these kids might take up modelling with maturity, but who knows. I would have loved to pass on some of my experience to him, but alas this is not to be. His dad, my son, went down the creative route through photography and video production and he could not get my grandson interested in that either!

Also, most modelling clubs tend to meet during weekday evenings generally, so right down the years has never been conducive to encourage youngsters into the hobby even before the advent of computer gaming.

Entirely too much time wasted over analyzing why kids aren't doing what "we" think they should just because "we" do. Like Tom and others mentioned, there weren't that many kids in my neighborhood who were sitting at home building models. I knew of only two others who had a passing interest. Most of the time, we wasted our childhoods doing boring city street kid outdoor things like playing stickball, touch football, Johnny on the Pony, kick the can, hot peas and butter, heisting cases of beer from the Miller and Budweiser distributors and, later on, getting laid, which has model building beat hands down.

Bottom line, be thankful that your kids and grandkids aren't getting involved in extracurricular activities that will get them thrown in the slammer. You, in general might not like their choices for leisure activities; but, the alternatives are far worse.

Its the digital age and thats where the younger generations have grown up and spent there time, the online virtual world is their playground.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:30 PM, Ceaser_Salad said:

I find snap kits too toy like (like the revell snap mustangs), and I don't really know that they are even functional as an introduction to actual modelling.. Just my opinion

They are a good introduction to modelling due to the simplicity, low parts count and no painting. Which is perfect for kids.

And for the experienced modeler they are cheap kits which can be used to get out of a slump, try a new paint or develop skills and techniques. Better to learn on a cheapy snap kit than a pricey full detail kit. 

Sometimes a snap kit is just about having some fun and actually getting something built. 

Yeah it looks toy like I agree

BDKuhRC.jpg

But with a bit of effort and not taking it too serious they can build up ok.

Yd0YDvz.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 3

I dont know if they're that common in the usa but it seems every high street and shopping centre in the uk has at least one warhammer/citadel miniatures type shop. It might not be what we call modelling but it is being creative with plastic. I think we could get those guys interested in armour/military models as a lot of what they are building uses a fair pile of model parts and its not so big a leap from them to the military side of modelling

22 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I dont know if they're that common in the usa but it seems every high street and shopping centre in the uk has at least one warhammer/citadel miniatures type shop. It might not be what we call modelling but it is being creative with plastic. I think we could get those guys interested in armour/military models as a lot of what they are building uses a fair pile of model parts and its not so big a leap from them to the military side of modelling

Warhammer or the Games Workshop range is as much about playing the game and the Lore behind each piece as it is about the model’s painting.

I think it is harder for a kid to get into it because the kits aren't as readily available to them.  When I was a kid growing up in the 80s I couldn't help seeing a kit every time I went to the grocery store, Walmart or the toy store with my parents.  That box art had me jonesing for a kit and I didn't even build them back then... I always said when I had more time I was going to get one and build it.  Thirty something years later and here I am.

15 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Bottom line, be thankful that your kids and grandkids aren't getting involved in extracurricular activities that will get them thrown in the slammer. You, in general might not like their choices for leisure activities; but, the alternatives are far worse.

Amen Joe!  😀

Back in the days of our youth, talking 50s 60s here, ocasionally you would see some hot cars on TV like the Munsters coach or Rock stars cars by Barris.  In our spare time, if you were into cars, and who wasn't, you would go the the grocery store an pour over the latest Rod and Custom, Hot Rod, and Carcraft magazines where you would see the latest Roth customs and other wild rods at the car shows.  At the same time you had the big 3, or 4 or 5, model companies providing kits that you help inspire you to build some of the hot show cars and provide you with the parts to create your own Radical Rod.

Today's rods are mostly slick custom Boyd type machines that would be hard for most novice builders to even attempt form an old reissue 32 roadster of 60s stock/modified car kit.  And yes, the digital age of constant gaming input definitely lacks inspiration for the automotive imagination.

We faithful still march on!  And Model On!

I've wondered for decades, why so many agonize, over this. Nothing lasts forever--not even the earth and  sky. We should be happy with the fact that we've found something we're passionate about! The important thing is to share with those who want to learn about our art-form; Child, novice or otherwise.

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I've wondered for decades, why so many agonize, over this. Nothing lasts forever--not even the earth and  sky. We should be happy with the fact that we've found something we're passionate about! The important thing is to share with those who want to learn about our art-form; Child, novice or otherwise.

Yes! Why does it matter if this isn't around years from now? Most of us have more than enough kits. And for those who don't, there is no shortage of them available now. The majority of us here are at least 40+ and many are retired or older. Who cares what will happen after we are dead? If you have family that will happily inherit your stuff, great! If not, enjoy your hobby now, while you can. 

• Like 1

If that was done by a teenager (kid), then they are a genus, and have access to some great manufacturing tools!  While the video was interesting, it was anticlimactic.  With a title like "Crushable Body" I fully expected that to happen at the end. But what we had was unfinished model. I'm glad I kept forwarding the video - it was just too drawn out for me (and I'm not an ADD person).  

If this was in fact done by some teen, they are probably one in a million (of other video-game-playing kids).

• Like 1

My 16 yo likes to build models .  Enjoys tuner and supercars and more modern cars . His favorite car is the subaru BRZ . He airbrushes and uses  spray cans . We have an NNL event that he's attended most years since he was 3 or 4 . Most adults at the show are very encouraging and he's gotten some pretty good deals on kits . Three things that are negatives for him are 

1. Hobby supplies add up quickly $$$$

2. Patience is hard to master , he's definitely getting better and recognizes when he takes the time the model turns out markedly better .

3. He is not as interested in hotrods and muscle cars so model shows aren't always a great information/idea sharing/motivating scene that they could be . 

Frankly it's a bit disheartening to read fellow hobbyists judge how people should spend their freetime and it literally can take just one of those talking out loud to ruin it for a kid . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1