Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazmanian Willys

Phildaupho

As a kid I was very attracted to the beautiful cars of “BIG” John Mazmanian that were featured in the car magazines. This attraction started with his 1960 Corvette drag car, followed by his mildly customized ’63 Corvette Split-Window and finally his most famous car – the ‘41 Willys Gasser. All were Candy Apple Red with polished wheels. Back in 2005 I built a model of the ’60 Corvette and have had plans to do the ’63 Stingray for many years. For my latest project I have built a model of the Willys Gasser as part of a series of Rodder’s Journal Poster Cars. The real car no longer exists with the poster car being a gorgeous tribute differing in some ways from the original. My model was built almost directly from the box with no modifications and very few additions but it still was a fun and satisfying build.

Over the years I acquired six Revell Willys kits – three Gassers and three Street-Rods. Previously I had only built one of those as a Custom. Chassis parts from the Street Rods have found their way under various projects as has the blown HEMI.

PAINT - Alclad Candy Apple Red Enamel over Tamiya Gold. In retrospect even though it looked like it did not need it. Alclad is kind of fragile and should be clear coated. The photo make it look like the is metal flake or orange peel but there is no indication to the eye

DECALS – Combination of kit supplied and Slixx

ADDITIONS – Passenger seat, seat belts, red film for side windows, hood hold down latches from the old Revell Stone-Woods-Cook Willys

2v2ap8NsSximYT.jpg2v2ap85cWximYT.jpg2v2ap8N8GximYT.jpg2v2ap85ASximYT.jpg2v2ap85PnximYT.jpg2v2ap854CximYT.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, papajohn97 said:

That candy red really pops with the indoor lighting. Beautiful build of a legendary drag car. Is this Alclad Candy Apple Red enamel transparent? Would you use it again or recommend it?

Yes the Alclad is transparent. I hope I have enough to paint a Mazmanian 63 Corvette and if so will clear coat. I still have to try Hours of Color Candy Apple Red but so far Alclad has come the closest to the look. Currently I think Mazda has the best Candy Apple Red. 

Beautiful looking Gasser. I can see what you mean about the metal flake look in the outdoor pictures but the paint is outstanding and part of why the subject always looked so good. When I built mine I used all Tamiya paint products and it looks more like your indoor pictures. The chassis looks almost like a real one and I like how the interior looks. 

22 hours ago, Metaldrumm said:

Decent build,great kit also.

Thanks Brian

10 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking Gasser. I can see what you mean about the metal flake look in the outdoor pictures but the paint is outstanding and part of why the subject always looked so good. When I built mine I used all Tamiya paint products and it looks more like your indoor pictures. The chassis looks almost like a real one and I like how the interior looks. 

Thanks David. My first attempt was with Mr.Color clear red over gold. It looked good but not Candy Apple Red.  WILLYS.jpg.875d12b582f5e0dd1772a23f9b1aa0f9.jpg 

6 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Looks great. Nice work.

Thanks James

On 8/12/2021 at 5:07 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Larry

20 hours ago, carrucha said:

Good work on an iconic drag car.  Very impressive job on the paint.

Thanks Hector

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Phil!

Very clean. Big John would have approved!

CT

Thanks Claude

5 hours ago, Misha said:

A beautiful build Phil, congrats! The paint execution is striking, indeed eye candy. Along with the Ala Kart, which other RJ poster vehicles are you planning or have built?
Cheers Misha

Thanks Misha - The Sam Barris and Hirohata Mercs were poster cars. I also built the Mike O'Neil black 32 3W Coupe which was the first poster car and the Dennis Kyle orange Hi-Boy Deuce which was never featured in RJ.

• 3 weeks later...