Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any solutions for C/A glue fogging on windows ????

Hi everyone. Ive been experimenting with cheap scrap clear plastic lately for making windows and using C/A glue. I’m getting some mild fogging on the “glass” around the immediate area of the glue spot. 

I want to know if there are any after the fact treatments that can be applied to make the fogging become transparent.

Yeah, what Jack said. For the extra cautious (Bob Smith Ind.) also sells Odorless CA (Gold) which does not cause fogging. Yes, it is more expensive but it is a cheap insurance against fogging. And as Jack said, if you use some sort of accelerator (I also used the BSI brand), which instantly cures CA, there will be no fogging.

Coating the "glass' with Future (or whatever the current name is) also prevents fogging. Coatign the "glass" with Future after it fogged up will also make the fogging disappear.

CA fogging is caused by the uncured (liquid) CA evaporating. The vapors get deposited on surfaces causing the fog.  As I understand this property is desired by the police - they use the CA fogging property to lift fingerprints. 

20 hours ago, Jack L said:

I use Bob Smith Inds. glues and insta-set accelerator no problem on glass or paints. Been using it for years

19 hours ago, peteski said:

Yeah, what Jack said. For the extra cautious (Bob Smith Ind.) also sells Odorless CA (Gold) which does not cause fogging. Yes, it is more expensive but it is a cheap insurance against fogging. And as Jack said, if you use some sort of accelerator (I also used the BSI brand), which instantly cures CA, there will be no fogging.

Coating the "glass' with Future (or whatever the current name is) also prevents fogging. Coatign the "glass" with Future after it fogged up will also make the fogging disappear.

CA fogging is caused by the uncured (liquid) CA evaporating. The vapors get deposited on surfaces causing the fog.  As I understand this property is desired by the police - they use the CA fogging property to lift fingerprints. 

Thanks guys👍

Or just don’t use it. Canopy glue, PA glue, clear epoxy is better. I got away from the super glues all together for most, and I mean most everything that’s  final assembly. Still use for mock ups. Never on clear parts. Done with that!

On 8/14/2021 at 6:30 PM, JohnU said:

Or just don’t use it. Canopy glue, PA glue, clear epoxy is better. I got away from the super glues all together for most, and I mean most everything that’s  final assembly. Still use for mock ups. Never on clear parts. Done with that!

Yes I, I agree that canopy glue seems to be the ticket here with finicky window assembly. It’s what I ended up using (was the first time I’ve ever used it), and wondered why I waited so long to try it. It is a tad more difficult to apply in tiny amounts such as on the end of a toothpick because of its thickness, but it adheres great and can be easily wiped off if you blunder or need to start over. I will still use C/A on most things however.