Model Cars Magazine Forum

At Walmart (at least one store)

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

I guess I'll have to take a trip to WM and see if any models have shown up.  When I look up model kits on the WM site they are all shipped from somewhere and the prices are just way to high.  I probably wouldn't pay $40-$60 for one of their kits.  What are the prices on the kits you fellow are seeing?

Walmart.com is like Amazon. Nothing really to do with the store proper. They sell stuff from all sorts of sellers.

Edited by Classicgas

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

What are the prices on the kits you fellow are seeing?

At my closest store, the 1/25 scale car kits were marked at $24.97 on the display cube.  Big truck kits like the Western Star and Snow Plow were marked $29.97.  But as I wrote above: when I checked out with 2 kits marked $24.97, I was only charged $19.97 each.

54 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

At my closest store, the 1/25 scale car kits were marked at $24.97 on the display cube.  Big truck kits like the Western Star and Snow Plow were marked $29.97.  But as I wrote above: when I checked out with 2 kits marked $24.97, I was only charged $19.97 each.

Those prices are not to bad.

Just got back from WM and to my surprise they had the model display up.  It was pretty picked over but I did pick up an MPC 32 Ford Sedan Delivery.  Ended up costing me $26.72 out the door.  A little more than I like to pay but what the heck.  Also picked up a display case at HL. 

20210924_095257_resized.jpg

20210924_095541_resized.jpg

20210924_104248_resized.jpg

On 9/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, Mike999 said:

😎😎😎

Just left our local WMART in Columbia KY with a Grumpy's Toy Vega, a 64 Cutlass, a 65 GTO,  and a Snow Plow kit....  Cars were 19.95 each, and truck 24.95

DJ

I highly suggest finding these displays and stocking up on anything you need while the prices are low. My local LHS has already started marking up kits! 

Most new releases are now in the mid 30's and up! 

Sure there is Hobby Lobby, but even they currently don't have much in stock or current kits. 

Looks like you better hurry, judging by my closest Wal-Mart.  

I just went there.  The Round 2 aisle display is gone, and the remaining kits are on a shelf in the Toy aisle.

Also, the $5.00 price break I got last time is also gone.  I bought a kit and it rang up at $24.97, the full price.

I travel a lot, like a new state every week. I always check when I get to a Walmart for models. Some have them, some don't. However it does seem like it was some kind of trial run. They got the display full of kits, but they do not seem to be restocking them. Every store I go to now just has what ever is left, no new kits or replacement kits.

I hope that they keep this going, but it does not look good.

However HL does seem to be doing the 40% off all boxed kits fairly often now, so that's good.

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

However HL does seem to be doing the 40% off all boxed kits fairly often now, so that's good.

The 40% off deal on kits is every other week.  This is NOT the discount week, so I didn't even bothering hitting HL today.  

Thanks for the Wal-Mart info.  It does seem like this might have been a "one and done," but I hope not.  Maybe they will re-stock kits closer to the holidays.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:36 PM, Daddyfink said:

I highly suggest finding these displays and stocking up on anything you need while the prices are low. My local LHS has already started marking up kits! 

Most new releases are now in the mid 30's and up! 

Sure there is Hobby Lobby, but even they currently don't have much in stock or current kits. 

Very good advice! Two of my somewhat nearby LHS have also marked up all kits even ones that haven't moved in a year or more. One of the shops told me he is having problems getting more inventory and expects that to continue for some time. 

I hit up the Daytona Beach HL and it too was pretty empty. Maybe 30 car/truck kits total in stock. This is probably going to be the new normal for a while!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I travel a lot, like a new state every week. I always check when I get to a Walmart for models. Some have them, some don't. However it does seem like it was some kind of trial run. They got the display full of kits, but they do not seem to be restocking them. Every store I go to now just has what ever is left, no new kits or replacement kits.

I hope that they keep this going, but it does not look good.

I don't know that any of these displays are getting "restock", but I could be wrong. The whole point of this display is to minimize labor, while at the same time reaping the "impulse buy" in the aisle. If you notice, these are palletized. So, the stocker simply takes 5 minutes to wheel the pallet out to the aisle, drops it, and walks away to the next task. No time spent opening boxes and stocking shelves, making sure the merch ends up on the right shelf paired with the right shelf label. If anything, a store that sells their stock may get a new pallet if their speed of sell through meets or exceeds expectations. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I don't know that any of these displays are getting "restock", but I could be wrong. The whole point of this display is to minimize labor, while at the same time reaping the "impulse buy" in the aisle. If you notice, these are palletized. So, the stocker simply takes 5 minutes to wheel the pallet out to the aisle, drops it, and walks away to the next task. No time spent opening boxes and stocking shelves, making sure the merch ends up on the right shelf paired with the right shelf label. If anything, a store that sells their stock may get a new pallet if their speed of sell through meets or exceeds expectations. 

My local Walmart restocked their model kit display last week. Will see if they did this week. If they're selling, they'll restock. Depends on the area or locality of Walmart stores.

Edited by BlackSheep214

8 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

My Walmart actually put them on a hardshelf display at the end of the toy aisle. 

I was out of town and hit one of that areas nicer WM's....success!  Grabbed two 64 Cutlass Convertibles and two of the GMC Jimmys.  I grabbed the lone Penelope Pitstop kits.  I needed one of the but it was 7:30a so the brain was still low on caffeine and couldn't recall which one I was missing (The Creepy Coupe is the one I need).

They were on an end cap across the aisle from the toy department.