Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Giant Killer' VW Bug AA/FA

Rocking Rodney Rat

Let's go back to the beginning, RRR opened with:

"Time to start a new project and I figured a drag car is in order. This is a concept I've been mulling over for a while. [Years! -KK] AMT recently re-issued the shorty VW bug kit they call the 'Superbug Gasser' (?) whatever. The VW bug body lends itself to a AA/FA style (I know, it's been done before) and I figured I'd give it a try. I'm using an MPC funny car chassis components. I'm not in love with these MPC frames, but it will do fine for this project.  The frame will be shortened. The plans are to heavily modify the body with fenders cut off, top chopped, front extended and body made taller... [yiks! kan it really be?] let's rev up the Sawzall, shall we????".

Remember the VW Bug AA-FA Before & After?

911469855_VWBugAA-FABeforeAfter.jpg.f4c9496c307eb534b5a3e09feaf3c147.jpg

And then the mock-up?

743373413_VWBugAA-FA.jpg.1ee42bd6b93efc33bace574c6b7c94ac.jpg

For those of you that missed the WIP thread at link: 

RRR lays awake at night staring at the bedroom ceiling konkockting these wild build plans.  And, visually collecting parts from various kits that his eyes have memorized over the decades of model kar building!  We met on the left coast over thirty years ago and have built several model kars together.  Kan you imagine having a conversation about what you're going to make followed by watching the step-by-step progress while it comes to fruition? 

RRR has been an inspiration to me and others around the world.  Krafting a kustom from scratch and seeing into the future as one gathers parts and pieces together, is the product of a 3D visionary mind; the trial and error of experience and decades of training your dexterity, both mentally and physically.

I want to thank you for your friendship and mutual support over the years!  As far as your skills... they are greatly envied by me and several of your followers! 

Right? -KK

1748352402_KRKustomsRods.jpg.6c1d05aaf4e69c6e782fa30a5dcaa55c.jpg

Man, you always blow my mind with your retro drag cars and this one is no exception! Such a refreshing take on a fuel altered using the Bug body. It has the proportions of an Fiat and makes you do a double to confirm it’s NOT a Fiat. My favorite details of it are the two tone paint layout and the way the hood hole is asymmetrical, precisely cut around the blower and belt drive. 

I’d love to see this posed with your Short & Shakey Fiat! 

8 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Man, you always blow my mind with your retro drag cars and this one is no exception! Such a refreshing take on a fuel altered using the Bug body. It has the proportions of an Fiat and makes you do a double to confirm it’s NOT a Fiat. My favorite details of it are the two tone paint layout and the way the hood hole is asymmetrical, precisely cut around the blower and belt drive. 

I’d love to see this posed with your Short & Shakey Fiat! 

Thanks, ADL. I guess I'll have to get them together. Some day I should build a dragstrip diorama....hmmmmm.....alright, what kit has a dragstrip starting line 'tree' in it?

I know I have one around somewhere.... -RRR

• 3 weeks later...