Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unable to open secondary pages of a topic

BDSchindler

I noticed that recently, when I go to view the secondary pages of a topic, those pages never open for me.  Sometimes, the only thing I can do is to click on "Home" and go through the categories to get back to the topic I was reading.

I use Firefox, always have and this is a recent occurrence.  This also seems to be the only site it happens on.

Any thoughts?

Not always.  There are times I come into the forum, go straight to WIP for cars and select topics.  I can read the first page of a multi-page topic but going to a secondary page (i.e. page 2, 3 and so on) won't work.  No rolling ball of death just simply no response.

I can mouse over "NEXT" and a comment comes up for "Next Page" or ">>" and get a comment for "Last Page" but when I select it, nothing happens

thoughts?

Edited by BDSchindler

A little bit more for you, Dave.  I opened the main site via Microsoft Edge and proceeded running a couple of tests using Edge.  Everything I am experiencing on Firefox does not occur when using the Microsoft Edge browser.  So it looks like this is browser related and if I remember correctly, Firefox recently had an upgrade.  That is most likely the culprit.

I use the latest version of Firefox on an iMac, no problems in getting secondary pages to open for me. Sorry for depriving MCM of a bit of ad revenue, but I have AdBlock which kills every single ad, and so I wonder if the efforts of ads loading for secondary pages might cause problems for some people. Before I had the AdBlock, I'd sometimes see black bars with spinning circles in them that looked like they were slowing down the page loading process ...

6 hours ago, plastic trucker said:

I don't have trouble changing pages with Firefox and I don't have JavaScript downloaded using windows 10.

You don't download Java Script -- it is included in the browser. You can disable it (then many websites won't display properly).  You are probably thinking about the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).  That has to be installed separately, but not needed for most websites.

37 minutes ago, peteski said:

You don't download Java Script -- it is included in the browser. You can disable it (then many websites won't display properly).  You are probably thinking about the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).  That has to be installed separately, but not needed for most websites.

Wouldn't it show up in my browser apps? I don't see it listed there either.

37 minutes ago, plastic trucker said:

Wouldn't it show up in my browser apps? I don't see it listed there either.

I believe it is embedded in the browser code.

On my browser I can type into the URL field "about:config", then in there search for "javascript.enabled". It will likely be set to "true".

so I did exactly as you said and Javascript is enabled.  When it's enabled, I cant page forward on a topic but I can see pictures.  When it is disabled, I can page forward but no pictures.

Very strange as if I go to other forums, I have no issues at all,  Only here,

Raising the white flag

Edited by BDSchindler

I guess you'll have to wait for Dave to chime in.

In a meantime,  when you are on a forum's topics list, if a topic has multiple pages,pages show up as numbers in squares.  You should be able to click on "2", or another page, and get there. It is a pain, but it might be a workaround until the problem is resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still looking, and unfortunately not finding much. This forum software doesn't use javascript for paging content. The page numbers at the bottom are all links. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that cookies are somehow disabled for this site. If you go to the privacy and security section in Firefox preferences there is a manage permissions button under Cookies and Site Data. Make sure that modelcarsmag.com always has all cookies enabled. Try that and let's see if that doesn't clear up the problem. 

It's not consistent, Dave and one of the things that is driving me nuts.  I did what you said and reloaded this site completely. 

The first topic I select with multiple pages will work correctly.  I can go to all of the pages of that topic with no issues

Then I go back to the listing of all topics find another with multiple pages and page 1 loads, but not 2 or 3 or so on...not even next page.

Now, here's the kicker...after going back to the listing and finding another topic with multiple pages, when they don't open, I tried right clicking and select "Open Link in New Tab", the page will open in the new tab and then I can select any page.

Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem.... I can't get into beyond the first page of my profile, and I'm unable to go past the first page of the subforums.... My build is on page two of the workbench forum, and I can't get to it to see if I've had any comments lately or to update it.....

It's not all the time though....

On 8/15/2021 at 11:00 PM, BDSchindler said:

when I go to view the secondary pages of a topic, those pages never open for me.

Are you still having this problem? I am...... I can't get beyond the first page of subforums or my profile. I click on 'view my activity' in my profile, and nothing happens.

6 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Are you still having this problem? I am...... I can't get beyond the first page of subforums or my profile. I click on 'view my activity' in my profile, and nothing happens.

yep...don't get it.  However, if I right click the page number and select open in another tab, it works.

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, BDSchindler said:

yep...don't get it.  However, if I right click the page number and select open in another tab, it works.

This is my experience also... I was thinking it was just me. Glad to see somebody else is having the issue... well not glad, but you know...

Just wanted to chime in that I'd been having the same problem but as of today I seem to be able to open pages normally; I'm using Firefox. For months I had to  type the page number into the url bar if I wanted to get anywhere other than the first page I landed on, for instance "comments/page/6". The issue persisted through several Firefox updates.

Jeremy, perhaps updating Firefox to the latest version will fix the issue for you?