Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing in Graphite Grey


e30lover
 Share

Recommended Posts

An absolutely stunning job!

In my opinion this is Tamiya at its very best. And you’ve really done the kit justice. I thought your DS21 was beautiful, but this is even better.

Thanks for sharing your building techniques and paint details - very helpful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a lesson for me and otherz like me

ive not yet tackled this kit but it’s sitting patiently on a shelf waiting - I tend to get lost in the details - so that when it is finally time to paint the body the project has worn me out and I’m tempted to cut some corners- I’d sure like to get a finish like this on mine - maybe I’ll try painting the body first ….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2021 at 1:21 PM, RAMBENNA said:

wow fabulous build , looks great very nice job

Thanks a lot!

On 8/17/2021 at 1:35 PM, carbuilder1950 said:

I love the colors and the excellent attention to detail, and the clean execution.

Beautifully done in all respects 👍.

Thank you! 

17 hours ago, slusher said:

absolutely stunning!!!

Appreciate it!

14 hours ago, beeRS said:

An absolutely stunning job!

In my opinion this is Tamiya at its very best. And you’ve really done the kit justice. I thought your DS21 was beautiful, but this is even better.

Thanks for sharing your building techniques and paint details - very helpful. 

Thank you! This was much easier to build compared to DS21 kit. 

12 hours ago, ATHU said:

Looks absolutely phenomenal in that color. Superb work as always from you Chang!!

Thanks a lot!

7 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Epic. Without your hand in the pictures it can definitely be taken for a 1:1! A true inspiration!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Beamerman said:

Simply beautiful!

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

This is a lesson for me and otherz like me

ive not yet tackled this kit but it’s sitting patiently on a shelf waiting - I tend to get lost in the details - so that when it is finally time to paint the body the project has worn me out and I’m tempted to cut some corners- I’d sure like to get a finish like this on mine - maybe I’ll try painting the body first ….

I totally agree, and that's why I always start with the body - meaning I won't touch the engine, chassis or interior until I finish laying the final clear coat and shelve it for a month. That gives me more than enough time to slowly finish the rest, and when the body is completely cured, I'll be less likely to cut corners :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have photographed 3 of these beasts

the nicest was a dark blue one that was shown at the Amelia Concourse about 4 yrs ago 

nice restrained restoration with Ridge wheels

I wish the Mercedes engineers had tilted the engine to the right instead of the left

all of those lovely engine details disappear under the hood and fenders - oh well  ...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

and the link to the Bring a Trailer site was appreciated

elsewhere on the site is a photo feature of a baby blue Gullwing with crazy under-body details photographed ...

and Tamiya actually kitted most of the features of this car - above and below 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

and the link to the Bring a Trailer site was appreciated

elsewhere on the site is a photo feature of a baby blue Gullwing with crazy under-body details photographed ...

and Tamiya actually kitted most of the features of this car - above and below 

Here are a few WIP shots of the chassis!

IMG_6651.thumb.jpg.70056c9260cd095fb4143187fd1adac3.jpgIMG_7052.thumb.jpg.9a605b4c69c27a75f8378adbd7c94655.jpg

IMG_6501.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chang....a superb build of this kit.  Very appreciative of your body/paint finishing techniques, too, others could take a real lesson by applying your approach here.  And thanks also for the in-process photos of the tubular chassis ... very much appreciated.  Best...TIM 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2021 at 1:29 AM, 89AKurt said:

Suburb build!  Nice choice of colors too.  Just needs realistic license plates to complete the realism.

I used model designation on a euro plate to get the auction block vibe, but yeah I agree - I would've been happier if they just molded euro plate rather than decal.

On 8/21/2021 at 10:25 AM, tim boyd said:

Chang....a superb build of this kit.  Very appreciative of your body/paint finishing techniques, too, others could take a real lesson by applying your approach here.  And thanks also for the in-process photos of the tubular chassis ... very much appreciated.  Best...TIM 

Thank you! Tubular chassis - i mean the whole thing is super easy to put together with zero fiddling or correction, and it was joy to build. 

On 8/21/2021 at 12:06 PM, Nacho Z said:

A beautiful model of a beautiful car.  The photographs are just icing on the cake!

Thank you!

On 8/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, Phildaupho said:

That's as good as it can get. Fabulous build.

Thanks a lot!

On 8/21/2021 at 6:48 PM, carrucha said:

Excellent job, especially on the paint.  I thought I was looking at pictures of the 1/1 car.

Thank you!

On 8/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, PappyD340 said:

Super nice!

Thanks!

On 8/22/2021 at 6:57 AM, 58 Impala said:

Wow, stunning build. Nice work.

 

Thank you!

On 8/23/2021 at 6:25 AM, Tommy124 said:

Fantastic result & great photography... Keep them great models coming, Chang!

A couple of projects are in the works - stay tuned! 

On 8/23/2021 at 7:37 AM, Chuckyg1 said:

Absolutely gourgeous! This is about as fine a build I've seen in quite some time. Very nice.

Thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...