Model Cars Magazine Forum

First look inside the box...Round 2's revamped Bruce Larson Vega Pro-Stock Kit

tim boyd

Click on this link for 14 images and commentary on Round 2's revamped MPC Bruce Larson Vega Pro-Stock kit, featuring a newly tooled 1974 and later Vega Pro-Stock body, decal sheet, and other parts....and thanks in advance for checking it out...TIM 

DSC 0743

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3

Tim:

The original '74 USA-1 kit body did not have the rounded rear wheel openings like the '73 issue Jenkins Vega.  It did have elongated stock style wheel openings, though the flare detail did not match up with the stock front wheel openings.  

9 hours ago, Mark said:

Tim:

The original '74 USA-1 kit body did not have the rounded rear wheel openings like the '73 issue Jenkins Vega.  It did have elongated stock style wheel openings, though the flare detail did not match up with the stock front wheel openings.  

Thanks Mark for the clarification....TIM 

Hella cool! I'll have to get at least two of these. Might try to do a tribute to Shane's late lamented Blackbird of Street Outlaws.

Tim, you asked what Pro Stocks we'd like to see Round 2 bring back. I'd like to see the Motown Missile '74 Cuda, but only if they fix the headlight buckets and grille. (I already have a couple of the old, wrong ones.) 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd like to see the Motown Missile '74 Cuda, but only if they fix the headlight buckets and grille.

Absolutely ! When was the MPC-labelled 'Cuda last released ? 1984 or so ? I remember it having a Torqueflite as per the 1970-1974 annuals -- don't recall if a Lenco was an option .

No Lenco in any MPC Pro Stock kit other than the two Pintos.  The Missile (and Landy Challenger) had Torqueflites even though Landy never ran one in Pro Stock, and only the first Missile ('70 Challenger) ran one.  Heck, the '73 MPC Pro Stock kits still had stock exhaust system detail on the chassis!  (The Sox & Martin Duster didn't have the mufflers or tailpipes because those were molded with the rear suspension in the annual kit, and were blocked off.  But it did have two pipes on the chassis, on either side of the driveshaft.)

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Absolutely ! When was the MPC-labelled 'Cuda last released ? 1984 or so ? I remember it having a Torqueflite as per the 1970-1974 annuals -- don't recall if a Lenco was an option .

1 hour ago, Mark said:

No Lenco in any MPC Pro Stock kit other than the two Pintos.  The Missile (and Landy Challenger) had Torqueflites even though Landy never ran one in Pro Stock, and only the first Missile ('70 Challenger) ran one.  Heck, the '73 MPC Pro Stock kits still had stock exhaust system detail on the chassis!  (The Sox & Martin Duster didn't have the mufflers or tailpipes because those were molded with the rear suspension in the annual kit, and were blocked off.  But it did have two pipes on the chassis, on either side of the driveshaft.)

I don’t want to hijack this thread too much…

1) I’m in for a Larson Vega. I like the looks of the ‘75 much better than the older one. There, I said it! :)

2) a Pro Stock Cuda would be great, but man- that tool needs some work first. It was never that great to begin with. At a minimum, the body needs to be improved. It was last offered as a Snap Fast Plus kit (no under hood detail), which wasn’t such a loss. The under hood area was that kit’s greatest weakness, closely followed by the chassis. Those areas of the kit weren’t even all that great when the original annual kit came out in ‘70. 

I think a rework of the body, and a return to the “Hemi Cuda” configuration would be best- that was a fun kit to build with all of the optional parts in the box, at least. If they could find the gasser style front suspension clip & the ‘Missile hood,  throw in some enhanced decals and tinted windows, all the better. 

I always found it useful to throw a Jo Han ‘71 Cuda under the MPC kit when doing a Pro Stock. It’s a shame the Jo Han ‘Cuda mold can’t be found and combined with the MPC stuff! 

For my Motown Missile 'Cuda, I adapted the MPC '72 grille and taillight panel to the Jo-Han kit.  I had an MPC body that someone had butchered (radiused rear wheel openings, body sides sanded with wood sandpaper) that was perfect for such a conversion.  The grille/under-bumper pan, and taillight panel both fit without much work.  Initially I was going to fit the entire MPC Missile hood to the Jo-Han body, but ultimately I just swapped scoops.

14 hours ago, Mark said:

For my Motown Missile 'Cuda, I adapted the MPC '72 grille and taillight panel to the Jo-Han kit.  

Was the original MPC '72 grille better than the grille in the last-reissued "pro street" version or the '74 snapper? 

Better, not perfect by any means.  The headlamps sit a bit further back, but lack the raised trim around them.

I suspect that if the Barracuda were to be reissued, the body would remain unchanged, oversize door handles and all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 8:59 AM, Snake45 said:

Was the original MPC '72 grille better than the grille in the last-reissued "pro street" version or the '74 snapper? 

It was made into a modified stocker that I believe did the most body damage. The snapper came after a reincarnation of the street racers of the '80s. The 1974 promo seemed a little better, but the front wheel openings really took a beating after being made into a modified stocker (you can see wavy beltline along the body). Better headlight openings can be found in the separate Revell 1970 grilles.

• 3 weeks later...